• Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Gard: *snugs Hades* <3
    September 08, 2020, 01:53:19 PM
  • Nienna: lord have mercy on my stressed soul...
    September 04, 2020, 01:34:16 PM
  • Dory: And one for Hera/Elladan. :3
    August 03, 2020, 05:53:40 AM
  • Dory: Finally got to Cirdan's plotter, Guiga. <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:31:01 AM
  • Gard: I'm good! ^^ Hope you had fun! <3
    July 31, 2020, 09:58:18 PM
  • Ristiinna: Back from my camping trip. How's everyone?
    July 30, 2020, 09:38:19 PM
  • Nienna: Becca! I’ll work on a Ren post when I get off work! ❤️
    July 24, 2020, 11:39:33 PM
  • Nienna: Hello hello!
    July 24, 2020, 11:39:03 PM
  • Nienna: <3
    July 20, 2020, 02:57:05 AM
  • Guiga: No problem, Hades. I'm still catching up on posts as well.
    July 19, 2020, 05:17:39 AM
  • Nienna: oh my god it's embarrassing how long that took me to get out, Guiga! </3 I am SO SO SO SO SO sorry! But some things happened, and all should be good to go again.
    July 18, 2020, 05:56:29 PM
  • RonnieRoo: Wowie!
    July 15, 2020, 10:03:00 PM
  • Hera: @Ari. Your reply is posted as well. Next is Gard's as Pellavan.
    July 12, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
  • Hera: Wrong account.
    July 12, 2020, 08:40:20 AM
  • Gandalf: @Dory. I hope you find the dogs.
    July 12, 2020, 08:39:54 AM
  • Ari: (Marbys & Gard) Got my post out! *shoots confetti cannon* I do believe Gard is next. :)
    July 12, 2020, 07:58:12 AM
  • Ari: (Dory) Aw, I do hope your puppers are okay ;_;
    July 12, 2020, 02:16:14 AM
  • Ari: I've been distracted binge-watching Bob's Burgers, ngl  X'D  My post for Ann & Naur -Marbys & Gard- is a'comin!
    July 12, 2020, 02:14:24 AM
  • Dory: I'm going to try and start writing on my day off next week tho.
    July 11, 2020, 11:28:12 AM
  • Dory: You'll have to forgive me too. There has been...a lot going on. Starting with our dogs at the farm going missing. :/
    July 11, 2020, 11:27:47 AM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: [LotR] Ristiinná  (Read 155 times)

Ristiinna

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ristiinná
« on: July 22, 2020, 09:44:58 PM »

RISTIINNÁ

NAME: Ristiinná
NICKNAMES (IF ANY): none (that anyone's admitted to her)
TRILOGY: LotR
DATE OF BIRTH AND AGE (AS OF T.A. 2941/3019): born summer of T.A. 2999, currently age 20
PLACE OF BIRTH: Forochel
RACE:  Man (Lossoth aka Lumi-väki)

HAIR COLOUR AND APPEARANCE: Dark brown, curly, shoulder-length
EYE COLOUR: Dark brown
BODY TYPE AND HEIGHT: A little shorter and more slender than average
OVERALL APPEARANCE: Dresses, typically in sea blue or sometimes crimson and gold; in cold climates, furs of white with accents dyed in deep blues and reds.
DISTINGUISHING MARKS: Brown skin with dark brown freckles. Her left arm is very slightly misshapen at the middle forearm due to a break that didn't heal that well. (more accurate depiction than the face claim here, or an artistic version here)
WEAPONS: Small knife with carved bone (scrimshaw) handle; crude spear for hunting and fishing
FACE CLAIM: Lulu Stone

STRENGTHS: A minstrel and storyteller of the Lumi-väki with a good voice (particularly for harmonies) and an expressive style. Has learned how to provide for herself in the wilderness, with the help of her sled dog. Is skilled in the making of candles, soaps, perfumes, and other things made from animal tallow, as well as those basic cold-weather survival skills all of her people know, and basic hearthcraft that almost any woman of the Lumi-väki would know (like mending clothes or basic healing). Also good at organization, taking after her mother's talents at organizing the supplies and needs of her tribe. Can read and write. Has mastered a skill of making up little songs to memorize things when she can't write them.

WEAKNESSES: Talks way too much, too enthusiastically, almost faster than her own thoughts, in an way that many people find off-putting (especially amongst her tribe). Over-eager to make friends, and hurt too much when people are mean or curt with her. Has a poor sense of direction and easily gets lost. Has very little experience with the ways of survival in warmer climates, though she's learning. Has no particular ability or experience at battle. Other than their language, she knows almost nothing of the people or places of southern lands. Has very little gear or supplies.

ASPIRATIONS: Beyond the basics of survival, she longs to find a place where she feels like she fits in and is appreciated, and to make friends who appreciate her -- ideally, just as she is. Perhaps to go back to Forochel one day, when she feels like she'll be welcomed. To learn more stories and songs. To feel loved. To see places and people she's never seen.

FEARS: Loneliness. Being excluded or disliked. The idea that who she is, no matter how carefully tempered, is unavoidably 'too much' for her to ever make friends, and she will have to choose between being herself, and being cared for. The fear that even her family couldn't bear her.

PERSONALITY: Most of the time, Ristiinná is bubbly, cheerful, optimistic, and very gregarious, prone to chattering every thought as it crosses her mind, straining to make friends with everyone, and always finding the glitter in everything whether it be gold or not. She's not brash out of any desire to push anything on anyone; she's simply carried along by an inner well of enthusiasm that never stops bubbling.

At least until, as happens all too often, someone finds it all 'just too much' and snaps at her, and then, like a sled dog puppy whose nose has been struck, she slinks back and becomes maudlin, morose, and withdrawn, trying (and entirely failing) to hide how hurt she is. Particularly by how much it hurts her to be excluded, to not make friends of everyone she meets.

But the well still bubbles and before long, without really choosing to break out of the gloom, or being pushed out of it, she simply moves past it as if she forgot that she was saddened, and is again cheerful and too warm.

Ultimately what she wants more than anything is friendship, a connection to those around her, feeling like she fits in with people, but that's just what she's always struggled to find, since her effusive nature turns away so many people, particularly amongst her laconic, severe tribe-mates.

HISTORY: Ristiinná was born in the snowy north to the Lumi-väki, or Lossoth (as they were called by the southerners who sometimes came to their lands in summer to trade, especially for bone carvings). Her father was a clan storyteller and minstrel, while her mother, the more practical one, oversaw the provisioning and supplying of the clan. Though she learned her father's trade somewhat, she also trained in the making of animal fat and tallow into candles and soaps, useful things the clan would need, especially in winter when it was dark most of the day.

One day the chieftain was sending out an expedition to a distant camp from whom no word had been heard in some time, and Ris's mother urged her to volunteer to be part of it, and do what she herself would do if she weren't too old to go: make sure the expedition had everything it needed. Ris's bubbly, over-cheerful personality put off most of the others in the expedition. They were stopping for the night when a blizzard swept in and they had to set up tents quickly, so much they didn't get any food or cooking pot from the sleds. Ris ventured out, in three layers of furs, to get these needed supplies, but got lost in the blinding winds and tumbled far down a long slope, breaking an arm. She could not get back, and attempts to cross to the road to meet up with them led her the wrong way. One of the sled dogs found her, but she ended up curled up in the snow, spent, freezing to death.

Passing merchants who felt robbed by the Lossoth, finding her, decided to take her and see if they'd be able to sell her as a hostage to a servant of the Shadow that they knew of in the lands near Lake Nenuial, who was trying to put pressure on the Lossoth for reasons unknown to them. All they cared about was getting some coin. Just before the trade, she was able to break free, killing one of them, the dog injuring another. This left her lost in a green and warm land totally unfamiliar to her, with no way to get home, nor any reason to think she would be welcomed if she did return. She was fortunate enough to be found by a Dúnadan who helped her learn some basic survival techniques like spear-fishing, before he had to move on. She's been fending for herself, with the help of her dog, afraid to try to go north and re-enter Forochel, and has finally decided to cross south to the lands she sometimes glimpsed in the distance, where smoke rose from chimneys.

YOUR NAME: HunterGreen
EXPERIENCE: First roleplaying game was in 1980. First play-by-forum game was 1988, on Quantum Link. Have been roleplaying (tabletop, play-by-post, voice chat, MUD, MUSH, and/or MMO) for 40 years.
OTHER CHARACTERS: None yet
HOW DID YOU FIND US?: Google
ROLE PLAY/WRITING SAMPLE:

(Ristiinná had lain down to die in the snow, but is now coming through muddled, comatose dreams to gradually awaken finding herself in a wagon, being cared for by strangers.)

The storm was full of thunder, and the ground was angry. It lurched and tilted and yelled back at the thunder, until both the ground and the clouds grew tired. Still they argued, still the ground tilted and jostled, still the clouds swayed and grumbled, but the sound was subdued, like an old couple long married who still argue but have no heart in their words. Sometimes, the sky and the ground, the quake and the thunder, changed places, though only briefly.

There was a boy, and sometimes Ristiinná thought it was her brother, but no, he was away at the camp on the western glacier, and in any case, he didn't make soup, and if he did it would taste like fish, but this soup tasted like something Ristiinná had never tasted. Did it have a name? Maybe it was the flavor of dreams. No, that doesn't make sense. Dreams would taste better than this, and you wouldn't make them into soup, and they wouldn't be served spoonful by spoonful, by a boy who is not your brother, but could be. Perhaps they were on the western glacier, and there was a kind of fish there that had a different flavor. But surely something of glaciers was missing here, and not just her brother. She couldn't decide what.

Then the thunder and the quake would argue again, but after a time, she would dream of the boy, and the soup that was not fish. One day she asked the dream of the boy, "What kind of fish is this in the soup?"

The boy looked impatiently at her and said some sounds that were not words. At least not at first. Then they gathered like birds and hopped over one another, finding the right place to stand in a line, and she knew them as words at last, but in the southron language they called Westron. "I don't know your language, but it's not fish, it's chicken, and your people don't have anything like chicken so I can't tell you what it's like," the boy had said wearily. "You always ask, but then you fall asleep again and forget, and I'm tired of answering."

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:27:34 PM by Ristiinna »

Nienna

• Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
Re: Ristiinná
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:37:42 PM »
-

Tags: lossoth 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Galadriel: thread starter for Celeborn/Becca <3
    August 19, 2020, 11:22:12 AM
  • Ristiinna: Checking in on Arthfael with Ristiinná...
    August 03, 2020, 04:31:47 PM
  • Dory: Plotter tag for Elladan/Hera! <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:53:20 AM
  • Galadriel: Plotter tag for Cirdan/Guiga! <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:30:20 AM
  • Gard: For Guiga [link]
    July 24, 2020, 06:54:05 PM
  • Gard: For Ari! [link]
    July 22, 2020, 02:52:00 PM
  • Nienna: for Gard! [link] let me know if anything needs edits...
    July 20, 2020, 04:15:22 AM
  • Nienna: Far too long, but I should have more free time now: [link]
    July 18, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
  • Nauroval: Reply for Shadowfax and Annúngilel [link]
    July 17, 2020, 07:37:07 PM
  • Nienna: for Thranduil [link]
    July 17, 2020, 01:14:38 AM
  • Gandalf: Reply for Shadowfax [link]
    July 12, 2020, 08:21:28 AM
  • Ari: Reply for Gard and Marbys! [link]
    July 12, 2020, 07:56:59 AM
  • Annúngilel: Reply for Nauroval and Shadowfax [link]