Re: & though she'll grow & someday leave by Celeborn
[February 08, 2020, 03:07:14 AM]

Re: The ever-living ghost of what once was by Hades
[February 07, 2020, 03:42:47 AM]

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: Can work stop now? I just want to go home
    January 31, 2020, 10:27:42 PM
  • Nienna: I am horrible at getting out posts! I’m so sorry to those who have been waiting!
    January 28, 2020, 06:21:10 AM
  • Gard: Hi Cass! <3
    January 28, 2020, 01:06:08 AM
  • Fridr: Sorry for the bombardment of posts about to happen - 100% apologise. Trying to fix something.
    January 19, 2020, 01:22:29 AM
  • Ulmo: I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! <3
    December 29, 2019, 01:12:19 PM
  • Nienna: Howdy, Becca!
    November 03, 2019, 03:41:21 PM
  • Gard: And Cass of course <3
    August 25, 2019, 12:17:28 AM
  • Gard: I love it so much!!
    August 25, 2019, 12:14:42 AM
  • Gard: Yay amazing Blue post! <3 <3
    August 25, 2019, 12:14:29 AM
  • Nienna: :D
    August 16, 2019, 03:14:37 AM
  • Gard: Hehe guilty as charged :D
    August 16, 2019, 01:13:02 AM
  • Nienna: OOOOOOOO~! GARD MAKIN' AN ELF
    August 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM
  • Gard: But yay success!
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:24 PM
  • Gard: Been there Hades :D
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
  • Gard: Aww
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:13 PM
  • Hades: So, how about I forgot that I changed my password... xD I've been trying to get in for the last twenty minutes.
    August 11, 2019, 12:18:29 AM
  • Eofor: Hi
    August 04, 2019, 06:46:46 PM
  • Icewolf: Does anyone play lotro? Had a bit of a rough night so I'm taking my loremaster around the farms of Oakbarton for the morning. I don't have the concentration for writing today.
    July 30, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
  • Hades: Goodness... okay. I hate this muse. XD It only works when it wants o.
    July 25, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
  • Icewolf: Hi.
    July 24, 2019, 11:36:35 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 332
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Forum Staff

Ulmo admin Ulmo
Administrator
Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: Lemongrass and Streets  (Read 375 times)

Annis

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Pip
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Lemongrass and Streets
« on: January 02, 2020, 01:21:28 AM »
Annis didn’t think she would spend her days carrying drunkards to bed, but four nights in a row she had done so. Throwing Ruairmli’s arm over her, she had walked him to the home he was staying in. Then, Annis tucked him into bed and made sure there was a jug of water and food to eat whenever he awoke in the morning before she’d head home herself. Her parents, as disapproving as they were, did not try and stop their daughter from caring so hard – and she had fought her corner well. Family was always going to be family, and you didn’t get to pick them. In her opinion, you had to fight for them more often than competing with them.

The hour was late when Annis emerged from Ruairmli’s temporary lodgings, glancing up at the night sky that was scattered in beautiful little stars that always filled her with tiny beams of hope. Smiling gently to herself, she adjusted her cloak. She took off on a stroll – making sure to take a long way home as she often did – the longer she could avoid bickering with her mother, the better. Her boots clipped lightly on the stones, and straggles of drunkards tumbled past on the way down the streets. Something was reassuring about the gentle chatter, something comforting despite none of them having wanted her attention nor being one of her friends.

All she had to do, was take a left, a right and then two more lefts before she was home and safe in her cosy bed preparing herself for the day after. She should have been shattered... she should have been completely wiped out from the weeks of staying up late and rising early, but that wasn’t the case. Soon the chatter of people died out, and all that was left was the pitter-patter of her own feet.

Two more lefts Annis.

Her eyes, however, had caught sight of something down one of the alleys. Why she’d been looking, she didn’t know, but she looked, nevertheless. A couple of herbs that had grown up through the stone – defying the laws of man and glistening lightly in the moonlight. Her curiosity was piqued, and so, instead of taking her left, she took a right. That was her first mistake.

Letting her guard down, she knelt, and snapped a small sprig off the herb, bringing it to her nose. She took in a deep breath, the world falling away around her as she concentrated on the tones and scents that came from her sprig of unknown herb. Lemongrass. How did that get here? Regardless, it was coming home with her one way or another. She began to try and stuff it in one of the pockets of her dress, her hands now preoccupied. That was her second mistake.

The silence was now unsettling, but she chose to ignore it as she fumbled in her own pockets. Had she paid attention; she may have heard the not so gentile footsteps of a particular guard captain creeping up behind her. A thick, strange hand placed itself on her shoulder, and she jumped in fright from the movement, spinning around and falling to her bottom. She put her own gentle, slender hand above her chest, heart racing fast unnerved by the sudden arrival of the dwarf before her. Nervous chuckles fell from her lips, taking a step back almost fearfully from the guard. “You startled me, Dokan.”

“My apologies, Miss Annis. Was not my intent, I assure you.” He offered her a hand to help her up, but she sheepishly refused, raising from the floor and dusting off her own skirt. She turned her head over her shoulder to see if there was any dirt on the back, but that only offered Dokan another opportunity to step closer. Swallowing hard, her heart banging against her ribcage, she looked beyond him for her way out and made her decision. She was in no mood for company if that company made her uncomfortable. Nodding curtly, she made to move past him. "Now if you’ll excuse me..” She had hoped he would leave it at that and be on his way, but that wasn’t the case – nor should she have ever thought it would have been. Ever since he had chased Ruairmli down that pitiful street and she had stopped him, he had done nothing but stare at her almost menacingly and get in her way whenever she was at the market. Here he was, once again, getting in her way as he put out a strong arm to stop her from passing. Hanging her head slightly, averting her eyes, she took in another steady deep breath, trying not to give him the satisfaction of her attention. “We’ve got unfinished business.”

“I can assure you, we do not.” She whispered almost timidly, taking a step back again – heart pounding as she could feel him mimic her steps. Her little hands bunched up into fists at her sides, unsure of how to handle the situation she was currently finding herself in. She half wished she had just stayed at Ruairmli’s a few moments longer, or that she had just taken the quick and straightforward way home. It was no good shouting for assistance down here – it was a back alley, and people seldom wandered down them for these reasons alone. “Excuse me.” She finally said, clearing her throat. Almost mockingly, he stood to one side, waving his arm out for her to go past – and at a quickened pace, near running, she slipped past him and down the paved street.

Her boots clunked heavily on the stones as she ran with everything she could muster. The main street should have provided more protection than this – surely there was someone awake, but alas there was not. No candlelight to be seen, the moon giving only limited light, but light, nonetheless. She felt the wind brush past her face, unrelenting on her as she tried to breathe as she ran. Her heart thumped, and she thought at any moment she could pass out, but she had to keep running.

One… more… street and then it was a free stretch of field from here.

Then she felt it – the now unpleasantly familiar hand on her shoulder, gripping tightly before ragging her from her space. The hand soon turned into arms that wrapped themselves around her like pythons, squeezing around her arms and chest, holding her firmly in place. She could feel his heartbeat on her back, and he, too, must have been running. She wriggled and writhed in place. “Take your hands off me!” She squeaked, kicking her feet as he quickly lifted her from the floor. Folding her arms upwards towards his forearms, she dug her nails in, but she knew she was no match for him. “I said, let go!” She screamed, anger lacing her voice.
“And I said…” The sickeningly low voice began, his mouth close enough to brush her ear. “…that we had unfinished business. Ruairmli is only free because I said so. I want to call in my own favour.”

Annis screamed again, hoping someone – anyone had heard her. She didn’t care who she woke up – she would scream until her throat gave out if she had to, but she wasn’t given the opportunity. A thick, unrelenting hand slipped over her mouth and muffled any further protestations. Dokan turned to move off with her, but Annis proceeded to kick and wriggle – if this was to be her fate, she wasn’t going to do it quietly.
Played by Pip!

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
Re: Lemongrass and Streets
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 06:17:02 AM »
Sometimes days could be abnormally long. And when they were abnormally long it meant that Thorin Oakenshield was stuck in a long, boring meeting where they discussed, long and tedious details that other people could attend to. Then, when they write up the reports he could read about them then. But that wasn’t how this was going to work. Productivity in the mines was down by so many numbers, and perhaps a new mine should be opened, someone found a new vein, but the equipment needs this, and the ladders need that. Yes, yes, see to it!

Thorin was late in the workshop pounding away all the frustrations. He seemed to have a lot of them, and rather frequently. He had his own place in the smithy it seemed. A place where no one bothered him, and no one tried to. It left him to add to his project. For a while now he had been working on a suit of armor for Kili’s upcoming birthday. Something special to accommodate his archery skills.

He was so lost in his own thoughts that when someone finally did disturb him it was to tell him that it was late, and the forge would be closing. Was it really that late?

“But, if you would prefer to stay, I will leave the keys for you.” Said the owner said with a gentle smile. Thorin nodded, “I’m just about finished with this piece. I’ll be out in no time.” To which the owner simply smiled, and hung the key ring on a peg.

Thorin listened as the Dwarf left, and then listened to the silence. The only thing was the roaring fire in the forge, and the soft sound of music and people’s voices from the taverns that surrounded the mountain side. It was peaceful, and put his own mind to ease as he turned to the mannequin that had Kili’s armor on it. It was mostly complete. Just the shoulders, which Thorin latched the left one to the mannequin and stood back to admire his work. Heh, but every great artist always had that nagging doubt. Would Kili even like it? Would Kili wear it? The shoulders were being made so when he wore it, drawing the arrow either from the side or from behind could be done with ease.

Thorin was all about supporting his nephews in their endeavours. He thought about this as he packed his things, snuffed out the fire, and locked the doors behind him.

The night air filled his lungs as he took a deep breath. He felt as though a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He pulled his coat about him, and adjusted his pony-tail before setting off back home to take a long bath and then head to bed. He barely saw anyone as he passed taverns filled with laughter and music. He smiled to those who said goodnight to him, and returned their well wishes - if they gave them. Night time was a great time. Tomorrow would look better, it always did.

Until … he had decided to (like Annis) take the long way home. Give his legs a good stretch, that sort of thing. He was only twenty minutes behind her. By the time he had reached where she had found the lemongrass she was long gone, but not before he saw someone run into the darkness. Perhaps he had scared someone off? Possible. He walked a little ways before he heard screaming. Without hesitation he turned on his toes and headed down the alley had seen the figure disappearing into. Call it a hunch.

It lead directly past the main street, and beyond that one more street, then a field. Hopefully he would catch up to whomever had screamed before they reached that part. Good on them if they had, but terrible if they hadn't! How would he ever find them in a moonlit field? He pressed on.

Suddenly he saw them. A Dwarf, male in stature, had his back to him. He was struggling with something - no - someone! They were - He was -! Thorin picked up the nearest blunt object and approached quietly from behind; and without thinking twice struck the man over the head as hard as he could…

Are you alright?

ooc: "You don't have to make it long."
Thorin: Challenge accepted.
speech color code: 102372

played by Hades sig by Hades!

Annis

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »
The hands that once held her, released, and she, like her captor, fell to the floor. Seizing her opportunity, she scrambled away, and then up. Turning, she noted Dokan on the floor, groaning and grumbling, trying to regain his bearings to the world around him. She placed a hand on her stomach – her breathing erratic now and tried to steady herself – she couldn’t thank her rescuer until she could function. Her other hand shook uncomfortably next to her, so much so that she believed it was the cause of her full body trembles. She stuffed her hand in her pocket, clutching the lemongrass, and squeezing tightly.

Whoever had rescued her spoke, asking her if she was alright – evidently due to the fact that she could not control her breathing very well, nor could she silence the small squeaks that came from her throat every time Dokan made to move up – but whatever had hit him, had blindsided him, at least for a little while. If this is what people were like in Ered Luin, she dreaded to think what they were like back in Ered Mithrin where Ruairmli had only told her stories of its descent into madness. She had lived here long enough to never have witnessed this moral dissolve, but to have now lived a part of it? She dreaded to think.

After a few moments, she finally looked up at her rescuer, and as soon as her eyes met his, a lump found its way to her throat. Thorin Oakenshield. She and Fili had been friends for quite some time, but she had never had the pleasure of meeting his Uncle – such was the life of a dwarf that was, of course, a king. A hand came up to her mouth as she tried to silence any further squeaks, curtseying gently to show her respect.

“M-majesty...” She stuttered, trying to swallow down her fear that at any moment Dokan may stand back up. “I-I did not mean to disturb your evening walk.” She started as if her screams had been her own fault. Blame began to sink in – realising this could all have been avoided if she had just taken the easy route home, or even if she had stayed in Ruairmli’s lodgings. Dokan grabbed her boot as he tried to find his bearings, causing Annis to squeak again and move it quickly away. Looking up to the King again, she bowed her head lightly, unsure of what levels of respect were required for a King. “I was… I was just looking for this.” She pulled her handful of lemongrass from her pocket, a look of disappointment in her face when she realised she had crushed it during her stress.

Dokan began to stumble up to his feet – hands clawing at whatever he could. Wall, cobble, Annis’ skirt. Dropping her lemongrass, she tore herself away from the clawing hands and moved behind Thorin. It was a bold move, to assume, but if he had already hit him once, it was safe to assume he would continue to protect her now. “And h-he…”

Dokan made it to his feet – turning to stare at them both. Despite the blur in his eyes, Thorin’s face was recognisable to all. He cleared his own throat – and didn’t proceed to give Annis a chance to finish her sentence. “Was just walking her home – she started screaming when she saw this… stuff.” His boot nudged the broken lemongrass before he stood to attention for the King, or at least, as best he could with a head injury. “She started screaming so I told her to be quiet before she woke the whole mountains – but she was excited. I was just trying to calm her down, my King.”

Annis stood there, mouth slightly agape at the suggestion that she was simply excitable. Whilst, under any other circumstance, that wasn’t too far from the truth – it certainly wasn’t as such now. She was mortified. “Y-you’re lying.” Annis stuttered, her hands scrunching up around the skirt of her dress, unsure of how to take it all in. How the Captain could just stand there and lie through his teeth to his King. Annis couldn’t lie to her mother – let alone someone who had actual power in the kingdom, but Dokan did it without hesitation – without blinking, and most importantly, without any remorse.

“Laszâna…” He hissed, his face contorted as he sneered at her before it fell away and looked back at Thorin. Dejected, Annis hung her head. She had been called a great many things in her life. Wonderful. Beautiful. Kind. Loving. Caring. All by people who had only met her once or twice – so never had she ever been accused of such a thing. She thought of all those who had offered her kind words before, such as Bofur, and Fili, but still, the word laszâna rang in her ears like a bell. There was nothing wrong with women that chose that profession, or fell into that profession of ill circumstance – but Annis? She’d always steered clear of such vices in life. She did not dare protest – something told her that the captain would get away with it – because who was she? Just plain, and simple, Annis.

OOC: Laszâna - Khuzdul for Lust-Ladies. Also - couldn't remember if we said they'd met before or not but I'm going with not for maximum cuteness.
Played by Pip!

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »
They went down together, and Thorin watched it all happening in slow motion. They hit the ground, and everything returned to normal speed. The woman who had been screaming - quite terrified screams if he had to judge - moved away from the man, and pushed herself to her feet. He waited to see if she had heard him. Every time the assailant would move, she would move out of range.

Taking a closer look at the man and recognized his face, but couldn’t remember the name. It was a puzzle to Thorin how this man could have been holding on so tightly to the woman without thinking… Hmmm. He then turned his attention to the woman as she spoke. She tried to curtsy, and Thorin tried to stop her but it was too late. There had been no need, this wasn’t anything formal. He hated that. People being formal in an informal environment. She had clearly been in trouble! What she needed was to lie down, or sit somewhere. He went to tell her that his evening walk hadn’t been interrupted. It wasn’t her fault, but he could see in her eyes she believed it was, and his heart softened with compassion.

Thorin waited patiently as she explained what had happened in her own words, looking past her frightened stutter. She reached into her pocket to pull out what she had been searching for, but was shaking so badly the thin blades of grass fell to the street. Then she dropped them all together when the guard pulled on her skirts, and was still trying to stand, reaching for whatever was close so he could rise. Pity he hadn’t been knocked unconscious by the blow. 

The King remained as calm as he could. She moved behind him, and he turned his head to watch her before being drawn back to the man in front of him. The guard kicked the lemongrass to bring some sort of validation to his story, and then stood at attention. Fool. That should have been his first move. Second, he (Dokan) should have given his name, then his reasoning. Which was, Thorin had assumed from all his other encounters with the Guard when he was ‘off duty’, customary. Apparently not.

And just as Thorin bent to pick inspect the lemongrass, the guard hiss something rather unpleasant. He ignored it for the time being as he rubbed the blades between his fingers and smelt the herb; recognizing it’s sweet lemon scent. Picking up the rest of the bruised blades he rose. It was his turn to speak.

What is your name?” He gave the Guard a chance to respond, “Well, Mr _whatevernamehegave_,” He went on, not letting Guard get another word in, “Unless I am mistaken, and I know I am not, it is almost impossible to be afraid of Lemongrass. Unless,” He glanced at Annis, “This Young Woman has any special reason to be.” He smiled at her kindly.

What I mean to say is, I refuse to believe that the screams I heard were anything but terror. And don’t think I didn’t hear you call her a Laszâna.” His own blue gaze intensified with his next words, “What I saw versus what you are telling me does not translate very well.” And then, with great skill, and evenness he explained (slowly) to Dokan what he was to do next, “So unless you can come up with a better excuse, which I doubt you can, you are to report back to your barracks leader, and explain to him - in detail - what has occurred here. He is to write this down verbatim and have it sent to me. Then he is to take you off the roster until further notice.

And Dokan,
” He finished, “If what is written does not match what this young woman says happened tonight, we will be meeting again, and you will like it less than you like this now.

Thorin could sense the young man’s anger. Did all of his guards think they could do something like this and get away with it? Terrified screams over lemongrass? Unlikely. Completely unlikely. And it didn’t take Thorin long to jump to the correct conclusion of what happened here. He would have to wait and see what the woman said. If he didn’t, Dis would probably find out and murder him in his sleep. Dis. No need to bother her, at least not for now. He could handle this in his own way.

You are dismissed, Dokan.

He waited until the guard left before turning a kind gaze to Annis. He held out his hand with the bruised herb, offering it to her. In a light hearted tone, meant to put her at ease he asked, “If you will permit me, I would be more than happy to have you disrupt my night further by allowing me to escort you home. It would be a pleasure - and, please, you don’t have to curtsey. It’s far too formal for this time of night.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 10:53:45 PM by Thorin Oakenshield »

Annis

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 12:15:29 AM »
Dokan tried to speak – but he would not be permitted to do so now in front of his king, and if he was, it was to give short answers. "Dokan, your majesty." He muttered through gritted teeth – displeased that the matter had not been dropped. Thorin persisted, ensuring that the captain in front of him would not get away with insolence and forced debauchery. The King was fierce. It was no wonder Fili had spoken to her of him so fondly, and part of her wished she had met him sooner. She watched on with a twinkle of joy in her eyes as Thorin reprimanded the man – insisting that he believed her, though she had said very little, and that Dokan would have to answer to him should his story be inconsistent. There it was – the kindness and thought that Fili so often told her about. A fair and just king indeed – and Annis was finally getting the pleasure of making his acquaintance.

And then, as suddenly as it had begun, Thorin had ended it. The guard had been dismissed, and Annis shuddered as he walked past the pair of them to leave back up to the barracks. A sigh of relief fell from her lips, allowing her eyes to close for just a second as she regained her breath. As she opened her eyes, she noted the kind gaze and offered him a smile for his concerns. “That would be… an honour and a blessing.” She chuckled lightly, noting that he’d picked up the lemongrass. “It’s a shame. Lemongrass makes a wonderful tea.” Annis checked her pocket perchance that there may have been more, but alas, there was not. It wasn’t that lemongrass had been hard to come by, it was just nice that she hadn’t had to argue at the market for its price. A realisation hit her in that moment – for they had been too wrapped up in the issue at hand, that Annis, in her confusion, hadn’t so much as offered a thanks or a name. “Annis, at your service,” She began cheerfully – mustering up what smile she could.

She looked around her, trying to regain her bearings finally determining the direction to go. “Home is this way – I think.” She began to walk, a gentle saunter rather than a woman on a mission to go anywhere. Annis was no longer alone – and that made the world of difference. Whether Ruairmli had walked her, or whether Thorin did, she felt safe, and that’s what counted. “I… suppose I owe some kind of explanation so I… well…” Then she paused, furrowing her brow in thought. If she told him – if she bore her concerns, what might the repercussions be? Would Dokan come for her if he lost his position? Would he come for her anyway? The longer she thought – the more concerned her look became – reluctant to give the game away in case something terrible might happen later. What would happen to Ruairmli? Her? Her parents? Oh, what mess had she gotten herself into now! “He’s just… a very unpleasant man. He and my cousin do not get along – they have come to blows before now.” She began. The matter of the fact was, she wasn’t lying, but starting at a point which might both excuse his behaviour but give enough to work with. “I stepped in one day, and ever since Dokan has taken a… disliking to me of sorts I suppose.”

Played by Pip!

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 04:21:11 AM »
He waited until the guard walked past before turning to look at the young woman he had just - he supposed - saved from something far worse than death. She was a pretty thing, he noted, though at the moment she was worse for wear. He was sure - like most people he had a tendency to meet, mind - that she would even prettier with a smile on her face. Please, don’t think too harshly of Thorin for this thought. He liked it when anyone smiled. It proved to him that he was doing something right, not because she was a woman and that she would look prettier. She was already pretty.

When she chuckled, and accepted his request to escort her home he felt the tension in his shoulders relieve itself. He smiled kindly at her. “I myself prefer lemon thyme, and bit of honey.” He replied thoughtfully.

Then she introduced herself. Annis. Where had he heard that name before? He wasn’t too sure, but once they started walking in the direction of where she lived he put it to the back of his mind. Which would undoubtedly sort itself out later, and probably too late to make conversation. “Thorin Oakenshield, at yours.” Though he really felt there was no need to introduce himself. He felt caught up in the need for formality.

She started to talk about her side of the story then stopped. That was fine. Thorin was patient, and she could take all the time she needed to tell it. The whole night if necessary. Or, perhaps she didn’t really want to tell him? There was always that. Maybe she feared getting the guard into trouble? Why? He deserved whatever was about to come his way. Thorin already had it in his mind to give him his papers, or assign him somewhere he wouldn’t cause such trouble again.

Cousin? Blows? Thorin wondered what could have sparked that kind of dispute. Perhaps it was personal? If it was, he wouldn’t pry into the private life of someone he had just met… and yet, her name was starting to ring some very distant bells. Perhaps she knew Dis? But, Dis wouldn’t tell him about her acquaintances for anything in the world. Unless it was about a man who thought he could make himself her suitor.

A disliking? I can understand that. Is this the first time he has done this? Please, don’t be afraid. His job is already in jeopardy, and there is nothing that can save him from worse. Trying to protect him will do no good.” He couldn’t hide the concern in his voice. What if it wasn’t just her? What if it was… the other young women in his kingdom? “For all I know, he could have done this to several before you… and gotten much further.” It horrified him to think so.

They walked along slowly, and Thorin watched her for any signs that his pressing was unwelcome. If that were the case, he would stop, simply take her home, and return to his… home that was.

Annis

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
Lemon thyme and honey? Well, that's a new one! She thought to herself, a small smile curling in the corner of her mouth as she began to relax around the king. “That sounds lovely.” She spoke softly now, with less uncertainty in her voice. Something about Thorin Oakenshield made her feel safe. It might have had something to do with the fact he had just rescued her – but no, she knew it was beyond that. There was just… something. Maybe it was the kindness that twinkled in his blue eyes, or the silken tones of his voice when he spoke with a level of concern. He didn't need violence to make her feel secure – he didn't need to act like the big brave dwarf that she certainly knew he was, but instead, he just made her feel that no matter what happened in this moment, she was safe. "I shall have to make it sometime. Spread my wings from being the simple cake maker for the miners." She continued, moving a small curl out of her face that had fallen as it often did. It was hard to keep curls behind one's ear when there were so many of them to contend with. "Bofur swears by my lemon cakes."

Though she knew who he was, and who in these mountains didn't, Thorin finally offered her his name. It was a pleasant change from people assuming that they were known, and Annis being the one who didn't know in the crowd. She wasn't up to date with lords and ladies – but the king and his lineage, she was keen on. “I know. Fili always speaks so fondly of you." She started, offering Thorin a small grin. The fact she was finally getting to meet Fili's uncle was more than a gift to her. It was often the case that he was too busy, but Annis understood. Being royalty was hard, and she was thankful, to an extent, that she had been blessed with being a baker.

Thorin then asked about Dokan again – and the reason for their meeting was brought back into full focus. It wasn't his fault, but he wasn't wrong either. Had Dokan been doing this to other women? Was it just her? She certainly hoped so. If he'd done this to others and gotten away with more, she was certain that someone would have said something – but then she had to consider the fear levels that people may harbour towards him. He was, after all, a guard captain. If they were just a simple baker like Annis or something else that had no community standing, then he would have gotten away with anything.

"It's certainly the first time he's grabbed me. It's not the first time he's made me feel uncomfortable." She began scratching idly at the back of her neck as she thought of it in a little more detail, going back and forth along her own timeline with Dokan to try and find a sign. "He has followed me around the market before now, but I've always been with someone. Fili. Ruairmli. Bofur. Never alone – not until today. Something about him has always seemed off. The look in his eyes… it wasn't natural." Her words began to trail off towards the end, but she was worrying herself over nothing. Thorin was, from what Fili had told her, a man of his word, and she could trust something would be done. She looked back towards him, noting how handsome he was in face – a trait that ran in the family, but it was a fleeting thought at best. She could see the concern, and so, attempted to offer him consolation. “His actions are no reflection on the guard. I often find them helpful – but he is something else."

She looked back out across the field, her little house but a dot in the background, but she'd know it anywhere. Annis wasn't fond of the idea of reprimand from her mother, but still, she'd had her reasons for being out so late. Glancing up at the sky, she noted the stars that scattered themselves upon the midnight blues and smiled to herself. She always found the beauty in things – or at least, she certainly tried to. "I wonder what the hour is. How long before they send a search party for you?" She chuckled, now was a better time as any to present her true self to Thorin, rather than the scared girl screaming down an alleyway. “I can see it now. Simple baker kidnaps king."
Played by Pip!

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 04:34:43 AM »
The more Thorin listened, the more he learned about her. He liked that. She baked cakes for the miners, and liked tea, she was sociable. So sociable that she knew his nephew Fili. Fili! That’s whom he had heard speak of someone named Annis! Though it was only in a passing comment, most likely something to do with cake, considering what she had just told him. But now, he was curious. What had caused them to meet? And why had Fili not brought her up? There was no restriction on who they brought into the palace. He found himself smiling, his keen gaze watching her as she spoke.

They walked along in silence for a moment. Thorin keeping his own thoughts in line. He could only go over and over what had already transpired. Mostly he was concerned with the well being of his guard. Although Annis assured him that she had only had trouble with the one, and had pleasant experiences with the rest of the guard.

If he removed Dokan from the guard completely, he might try and take revenge on Annis all because he… interrupted. The consequences of his actions were starting to weigh heavily on his conscience. Yet, he walked slowly, and at a respectful distance beside Annis. He was focused on enjoying her company. “It is hardly natural. I’ve met many men like him in my life time. They always want something for something, or even nothing at all.” He commented. “I’m glad you have told me these things. Thank you.” He smiled at her now, glad she had decided to tell him something about the matter.

When she looked across the field he followed her gaze to see a small dwelling in the distance. He could just make out a lighted window to suggest that someone was home. Good. At least she wasn’t living alone, and it put him at ease.

Thorin mused, “That would make quite a story. I would look forward to the papers every morning to see what new ideas they would come up with. It would be the most interesting story to print.” The truth was, no one ever sent a search party to find the King. He had taken care of himself for longer than a couple of hours at a time. He loved solitude. It was a chance to think about the day, and sort things out. Be it with or without company.

The thing about Annis, Thorin noted, was that she was … genuine. He could see why Fili would like her so, though why he did not speak of her often was a puzzlement.

I do recall Fili mentioning an Annis,” Thorin said to keep the conversation rolling, “Now, Bofur is always on about cakes, and pastries. It is incredible to me how he can still be so thin-” By Dwarvish standards, minds, “-and eat as much as he does. I shall have to have a long chat with him about not mentioning them before.

Honesetly, Thorin found himself not particularly caring about the time...   

Annis

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 09:41:24 PM »
Annis hang her head lightly, pondering the results of what might happen to others had she not spoken up. She was lucky – others may not be. “If I can stop him doing it to another, then I will do what I can.” She muttered, glancing to him, only for a moment before looking back down to her boots. “We always look for the best in people, so we’re shocked when we see the worst.” Time was slowing down the more they walked – or at least, her house seemingly got further and further away the closer she thought she was getting.

As he mentioned the press, she laughed – quite loudly for her. Her hand flew up to her mouth to muffle it quickly, but the distinct bubbly giggle could still be heard beneath her palm. She composed herself, clearing her throat and biting on the insides of her cheeks so that she could have a moment to get her words out. “I don’t think I could handle the attention. I just like being the simple baker from down the hill.” She couldn’t imagine ‘little Annis’ from the bottom of the field being deemed a king-napper.

“That would be me… I think I’m the only Annis in these mountains.” She chuckled, scrunching her nose as she often did when she thought of something amusing or found something cute. “If I’m not – I’d love to meet my twin!” She dusted down her skirt again as they kept walking at a slow pace. She was in no rush to get home – she knew her mother would jump down her throat the minute she went through the door, but she’d be happy to have made a new… friend. “I shall have to bake for you sometime. I may have a cake or two left on the table at home if those might suffice.” It wasn’t often that she had spares and she couldn’t confirm whether her father had scoffed them before he headed to bed. He would often do such things before he woke to go to his mining job in the morning until the late evening.

“So, tell me your dreams.” She began, her brown eyes moving to look at him as she spoke. “What does a King want from life?” Now she moved to walk in front of him, walking backwards carefully, hands folded neatly behind her back. She was experienced in this art as she often did this with her peers. She’d learned long ago that you could only ever tell a person’s intentions and beliefs if you could look them square in the face. “I’ll tell you mine if you tell me yours.” She offered. The young dwarf was not exactly the type to give people enough time to answer – she hated silences, unless they were filled with raw emotion. She stopped, not allowing the pair to progress until she had an answer and placing her hands firmly on her hips with a cheeky smile etched across her face.

Played by Pip!

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 02:12:42 AM »
Just the baker from down the hill. It was quite a title, much longer than anyone he had known in a long time. He smiled, and kept smiling. It was permanently on his face, and he accepted that. It was tough to frown in this young ladies presence. There weren’t many he could smile so freely around. Life was more complicated. Annis’ seemed to be so simple. There had never been a time in Thorin’s life that wasn’t complicated. Except maybe when he was Fili and Kili’s age.

He thought back to earlier when he wanted to get out of the mess that was being the King. He often found solace in going to the blacksmiths. Yet, he found more peace here escorting her home - to which it seems their progress slowed tremendously to a shuffle - than there. In this moment. She talked about what she loved doing, and the idea of having a piece of cake was appealing. I would never take advantage like that. Thorin reminded himself. Never take anything that isn’t sincerely offered. Which is why he dismissed his own doubt, and decided in advance that the offer was genuine.

Then Annis was speaking again, and walking in front of him. He listened to her keenly, and thought about her question. It was rather invasive, considering they had just met, but what was the harm in answering? “What does a king want from life?” He echoed thoughtfully, “Besides the usual things? To see his people prosper. To see his nephews happy.” He started. “I dream of wealth for my people. For them to have happy lives. To see our miners work in safe conditions. To restore what we had; to see the dignity of our people restored. To be respected for not only what we were, but what we are.

There was obviously something deeper in his meaning. For a long time he had, had dreams about Erebor. About his own childhood. About his father. The dreams of a King were rather straightforward; he felt. Simple, and filled with repressed feelings for things that were. To go home to Erebor, to reclaim it from the thief Smaug! To see all that gold waiting to be put to good use to bring about a new era for his nephews and their offspring - if indeed they were to have any.

My focus right now,” He continued, “Is to make these Blue Mountains our home. Huh, now I’m sounding a bit redundant. I think for someone who has traveled as long as I have just wants to find a place to settle down, build something newer, and greater than what was before. I truly believe that it can be done here. There is a wealth in these mountains that can last for many generations of Dwarves from all over Middle-Earth.

He looked at Annis the whole time he spoke. There was hope there, and something like longing. Longing to see his vision come true. What was a leader without a vision? If his father had taught him anything it was that lack of vision could lead to destruction. Negligent leadership lead to revolutions. But a strong, determined King could lead his people through fire and come out merely ashen on the other side.

Yet … deep down he knew that there was something holding his people back. Loss of pride could damage a kingdom, and as they were all experiencing, attempting to restore it meant getting past what had been lost to see the future. Like how mountains made the diamonds. A little pressure from above, and the right conditions below made for good harvesting. The right miner - or in this case King - comes along, and takes the rough shape, determines its value, and begins to cut the stone until it makes that familiar shape. Then all that was left was to polish it.

His people weren’t quite at that last stage just yet… That would take time.

Now tell me about yours, unless my answer doesn’t satisfy your curiosity.” He smiled.

Annis

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 11:54:11 PM »
She pursed her lips as she listened to his answers, understanding that they were kingly based and duty based. What else had she expected? Something a little more personal perhaps? Then again, he was a King and his duty was to his people first and foremost. “Those are some pretty endearing dreams.” “As beautiful as these mountains are, I’ve often wondered what the others look like. Ruair tells me of the Grey Mountains and I want to see them for myself – but they are no place for a lady like me, he says.” She ran idle fingers through her hair to try to brush the curls out of her face. As the hill got a little steeper, she walked a little faster – reluctantly. She was enjoying the fresh air, and the night sky, and more importantly the company.

“I’m satisfied. I don-.” Annis cut herself off as she heard the familiar screamed tones of her mother, calling to her child. If she didn’t know any better – she would have said her mother had the eyes of the elves as she always knew of Annis’ impending arrival and would hover in the doorway like a bad smell. The shrill tones sent a shiver up the young dwarf’s spine, and instinctively, she ducked behind the King and peered out. If her mother’s eyesight was so good, she would be able to see she had company and would leave her be. At least... Annis could be hopeful. She never even had a chance to respond to Thorin’s question before her mother began to holler over the field. “Get your backside in this house this minute! And stop hiding behind your friend!”

There was a beat – Annis looked to Thorin, then back down the field to where her mother must have been stood moments before. “How….” She muttered, her eyebrows furrowing in sheer confusion. “How does she do that?!” Hissing, she cleared her throat and dusted down her skirt again. Annis’ mother had always been the type of person that could tell someone’s emotions just by looking at them – could hear anything that was said below a whisper and could see anything from miles away. Throughout her childhood, she’d never been able to get away with anything unless it was from her father’s say so. “I… would you… cake?” Today had certainly been a windy road of emotions and events – but Annis wasn’t ready to let it end just yet. “A-and tea?” She added quickly, waving her arm out towards her house. They weren’t as far as she had hoped – the world seemed to zoom back in around them. “My mother can’t say no to guests.”
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:54:30 PM by Annis »
Played by Pip!

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: [link] open thread!
    January 14, 2020, 04:33:41 AM
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis
    November 24, 2019, 03:32:06 AM
  • Lothíriel: [link] Eorik as well
    November 12, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
  • Meren: Reply for Faramir (finally after a million years) [link]
    November 12, 2019, 07:33:42 PM