• Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Guiga: Thank you, Gard!!!
    June 03, 2020, 08:56:02 PM
  • Marbys: A short post is better than no post! Lol. Hello to all!!!!!
    June 02, 2020, 11:13:18 PM
  • Estë: Hi!
    June 02, 2020, 09:50:14 PM
  • ruthron_forest_elf: Hello
    June 02, 2020, 08:16:34 PM
  • Morwen Steelsheen: (Also do not worry about the length, Marbys. I will be doing shorter posts for quite some time yet.)
    June 02, 2020, 09:55:57 AM
  • Dory: That starter is so old. MY WRITING LOL. But I'll scratch up a date when I'm able to for you.
    June 02, 2020, 08:02:29 AM
  • Dory: I'm gibbering a 100 different things and feelings right now like I resigned that to a one shot bit omg thank you.
    June 02, 2020, 07:59:43 AM
  • Dory: -faints-
    June 02, 2020, 07:58:46 AM
  • Marbys: Post out!!! Now, I go too.
    June 02, 2020, 05:43:11 AM
  • Marbys: I’m not feeling well tonight. Too sleepy. I’ll finish Thengel’s post tomorrow as it’s not moving right now.
    June 01, 2020, 05:32:07 AM
  • Marbys: Nice to read that, Dory!!!! Welcome back!!!!
    May 31, 2020, 11:09:35 AM
  • Dáin Ironfoot: My internet hiccuped and I've just lost an entire post...
    May 31, 2020, 08:59:21 AM
  • Hera: Good to know. Best wishes, Dory!!!
    May 31, 2020, 01:46:01 AM
  • Dory: Ah nuts, wrong account again. XD
    May 31, 2020, 12:42:21 AM
  • Morwen Steelsheen: Still in recovery but have made a big leap in that with my hands, enough to be working and riding again...which is as hectic. But I fully intend to get to catching up in between ASAP. <3
    May 31, 2020, 12:41:57 AM
  • Gard: Eitherway works for me I'd say and you can come in anytime :)
    May 28, 2020, 02:14:03 PM
  • Ari: and i oop
    May 28, 2020, 12:37:44 PM
  • Shadowfax: Got my post in Marbys. Dunno if Gard would like to post before yours as well? Heh, I suppose both parties could meet halfway, if they're both out wandering.
    May 28, 2020, 12:35:13 PM
  • Marbys: OK, Ari. I think it makes more sense if Ann finds you.
    May 28, 2020, 12:10:19 AM
  • Ari: Marbys, I'd like to get a post out for Shadowfax first (in response to Nauroval) but after that, yeah! Either we find you (Annungilel) or you find us, whatever your preference.
    May 26, 2020, 01:30:47 AM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: Learning Goes Both Ways  (Read 432 times)

Pellavan

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Learning Goes Both Ways
« on: December 31, 2019, 04:06:16 AM »
<<ooc: Apologies, I feel it's short. Let me know if you need more to go with>>

Pellavan was enjoying learning every small thing he could about these visitors to Rivendell. With the level of dedication, and enthusiasm, he usually only spared for the many creatures of Middle Earth, and in much the same way he had last time, when the Company of Dwarves, and much younger Hobbit had come through.

At Seven the last time, he'd been little more than a perhaps intuitive toddler then, and still not able to take in much, or not what he could now.

The same Hobbit was back, older now, and with four others. It would be thought that the talk he had been able to procure with one of them, a gardener, the Hobbit, Samwise, said, though all Hobbit possessed some knowledge of plants, would have in some way quenched the young Elf's curiosity about this group, but it only made it worse! Now Pel had to know everything there was to find out about all of them before they left!

A tall order, and one he probably wouldn't succeed in, but he could try!

For all this, he reminded himself not to make a nuisance of himself, and only ask if the opportunity of asking arose. Fate seemed on his side, though, for upon round a corner of one of the many open spots of his home city, the young Elf spotted the only other Man about who was not Strider. There was a detectable air that even an Elf as young as Pellavan could feel. Not unwelcoming, but...serious.

Before he himself was even detected, perhaps, the child's dark eyes roamed over the clothing and horn at the Man's side. Pellavan had learned a few things about Men from Strider, and there was...some sort of common ground he knew, but he of course didn't have Lord Elrond's understanding of Aragorn's true birthright within Gondor.

He knew their visitor came from Gondor, though, and that the horn was some sort of important symbol. Each of the Kingdom of Men seemed to have one, though that made sense Pellavan assumed. Slowly the young Elf took a few more steps closer to where the Man sat. "Greetings and welcome again to Rivendell", he spoke first off, and being polite, as his parents and even older sisters would remind him to, "I'm Pellavan. You're from Gondor are you not? I...heard the horn was a sort of symbol", he nodded to it, to explain how he knew this off a guess. Of course he could have also heard of the tree born on the man's tunic.

(#FFF8DC)

Boromir

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Snow
Re: Learning Goes Both Ways
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 02:29:22 AM »
The journey to Rivendell had been a long and tedious one, many times along the way Boromir had questioned himself if he'd arrive on time for the council. Luckily for him, he did manage to arrive just minutes before the council would take place. From one journey came the other and now he had gotten pulled into another journey, a much more dangerous one, one of which he was uncertain he would return. Along with the other members of the council, they had been formed to the Fellowship of the ring, a group given the enormous task of bringing the Ring to Mordor and destroy it once and for all.

While Boromir had joined the group out of a free will, honour for Gondor and the pride of his people and himself, something didn't sit right with him. He still found it a foolish idea to destroy the Ring like that, a weapon so powerful that it could change the entire balance of the war. It should have been used by the forces of good, destroying all that was foul and rotten in this world. Though the council had decided otherwise and there were only a few days left before their departure. Boromir was not one to hold grudges, he wasn't angry at the council, he simply didn't share their vision about the Ring.

Boromir was still deep in thoughts about everything that had happened here in Rivendell, not only about the council but also about Aragorn. A man of which he had heard many times in stories, a person of mystery and myth. The true heir to the throne of Gondor, the person that would become its king. Gondor didn't require such a thing, it had stood tall and mightly with his father as its steward, and his grandfather before that. Aragorn was a person that had thrown all that aside to live his life as a ranger, he was not fit to be king.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a young voice. He looked up from his belongings, which he had been packing before sinking into these thoughts. Turning himself towards the source of the voice as he saw the young Elven boy. "Thank you, young Elf, it is an honour to be here in Rivendell." while not knowing a lot about Elves, Boromir knew a lot about their military might, the alliance along with the Nümenorians that fought against Sauron long ago. He respected them but at the same time felt uneasy around them, it was something about them that he just couldn't put his finger on. They always felt so high and mighty, while his people were dying to keep the forces of Mordor at bay. He bowed his head slightly out of respect before the other continued talking. He was surprised to hear about the boy's knowledge in regards to the horn. He couldn't help himself as the edges of his lips curled up slightly, glancing down at the horn before looking back up at him. "You are indeed right, I am Boromir, son of Denethor, the steward of Gondor." He took the horn from his waist and kept it in both hands, extending it slightly towards the boy, who probably was a lot older than he was. "This is indeed a symbol for Gondor. We refer to it as the Horn of Gondor, which I know, isn't the most elegant name out there...but to hear the horn in all its glory, is the most wonderful thing that can be heard." he spoke, the admiration and proudness easily noticeable in his voice. "It was made by Vorondil, otherwise known as Vorondil the hunter, steward to King Eärnil II. It is made from the horn of a Kine of Araw, do you know what that is?" it seemed that this boy possessed at least some knowledge of what went on outside of Rivendell's borders, if Boromir wasn't careful he would probably be thought a lesson by someone like this, Pellavan. "It's a descended of the Kine of Oromë the Hunter, cattle, Oromë was known as the master of beasts and birds. These animals are immense in size and from its horn, this was created. When it is blown, it can be heard everywhere in Gondor."

Pellavan

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 04:15:39 AM »
The Man greeted him just as cordially as he would Lord Elrond no doubt. For playing it safe, and recognizing that even at his young Eighty-Five years, Pellavan was still older, perhaps; but it was still appreciated and drew a smile from the Elf youth.

"You are indeed right, I am Boromir, son of Denethor, the steward of Gondor.", he answered. Pellavan's eyes widened, at least somewhat impressed. He'd heard that many in what was now being called a Fellowship were important. Ok, maybe the Hobbits wouldn't say they were, but one of them had done such a thing as to carry the Ring here, and with its pull greater than just a Ring of Invisibility, Pel knew.

Then there was Strider's whole history, which Pel only knew bits and pieces of himself from comments here or there.

Arguably, even for an Elf, the boy was still young, and paid the most attention to stories which features prominently the Creatures of Middle Earth also in their long lengths. He knew his duty to know all the tales of Middle Earth he could, but had eons to take them in (though he should take advantage of Lord Elrond and other's personal accounts he knew) but had often found himself respectfully raising a hand or interjecting into a pause to ask after some Elven warrior's steed.

No one ever told as much as Pellavan felt noble steeds also deserved.

"Oh! Well then well met Son of the Steward", Pellavan continued to recall his own manners, "I'm Pellavan, Son of Dúnaer, but...I don't know that his name has featured in any of the great battles". Not that Pellavan's father was boring, but he he didn't have Lord Elrond's level of reputation, and had featured, as so many Elves did, within the background of historical tales.

Elves just had a grace to them, and so even at what was under adolescence and still a child, Pellavan took a seat near, but with enough space given, to the Man with a grace and dignity most children wouldn't have, and yet the shine to his dark eyes was perhaps the same. Especially as Creatures were mentioned!

"It is made from the horn of a Kine of Araw, do you know what that is?".

Pellavan's brow furrowed, like a child asked about his studies by a tutor and as he sought back in all he'd heard. "Kine of Araw...Oxen! The Great Oxen", if the tales were to be believed.

The Horn of Gondor was from one of those?! It was said the Valor had herded them, as Boromir went on to mention. If there were facts easiest for the boy to recall, they again centered on the Beasts, Mythical and otherwise of Middle Earth. "Have you seen one of the Oxen, Sir? And...has it ever had need to be blown?".

Pellavan allowed himself to stand to peer a bit closer at the horn, but was not so bold yet as to ask to hold it.

It should be a sad fact that one of the great oxen had had to die for the horn to be in existence, but Pellavan already understood, more so than youth of Men would, how Illuvatar's plan was corrupted and foiled by things in the First Age. Again, as far as he could when his own years were still under one hundred even.

(#FFF8DC)

Boromir

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »
"My apologies Pellavan, the name of your father is indeed one that is not known to me, but then again, there are many great fathers whose names will never be known to others, this does not make them lesser in any way. " he spoke, his own lips curling into a slight smile, it was known to many that those who had done courageous deeds, won heroic battles or were of other importance, would have their names in the history books, to be never forgotten. Though Boromir knew of many people in the Gondorian army that were fathers, their names would most likely never been written in any history book, but he respected them just as much as he respected those that were written. "There are also many that are known for the wrong reasons as well, so being unknown doesn't have to be a bad thing."

The enthusiasm with which Pellavan spoke in regards to the Oxen said enough about the amount of knowledge the boy had. There were many on Gondor that had never heard of a creature as such, it wasn't their fault. There were a lot of differences between those in Minas Tirith and the Elves that lived here. The difference in education or perhaps even the desire to learn was a clear difference it seemed. "No, I haven't had the chance to see something like that, though I wish I had." he replied when the other asked him about such. At the next question, his lips curled up once more. "This horn isn't used specifically to call for help, while that is one of its uses..it is also used as a signal, for enemies and allies alike. The horn can mean many things, given the situation in which it is blown. When it is blown, it is the most breathtaking sound one can hear. "  Clearly there was a great deal of Gondorian pride going along with those words.

Pellavan

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 07:37:08 PM »
The man from Gondor couldn't say that he had ever heard of Pellavan's father, but as the lad had admitted, that wasn't surprising, and he still admitted it didn't lessen Dúnaer's contributions to any of the old battles. It was all so strange to hear of, the grand tales and deeds that had long ago been required to keep the world safe. Deeds that had apparently not been as assured as they were supposed, as the presence of this Man, and the others, proved.

Darkness and Evil had been awakened, and it was their job to stop it, or that was the gist Pellavan got from what the older Elves whispered. His own run in with a Warg years prior could have even been early fore-warning.

"There are also many that are known for the wrong reasons as well, so being unknown doesn't have to be a bad thing."

Curiosity scrunched the young Elf's face. Did he speak from experience? It wasn't his place to ask, really, and Pellavan couldn't recall hearing much on the Steward of Gondor; as his son hinted, maybe a good thing.

"No, I haven't had the chance to see something like that, though I wish I had."

"Oh me too!", Pellavan instantly chimed in, with all the enthusiasm of any child, and on a topic much beloved, as that of all the creatures of Middle Earth, though he was able to communicate all of this eagerness without his voice raising too high or loud in pitch as others might have. "I don't think it's too disrespectful to imagine getting to ride one! And I would ask the Valar anyway, again if it didn't look so unlikely now".

"This horn isn't used specifically to call for help, while that is one of its uses..it is also used as a signal, for enemies and allies alike. The horn can mean many things, given the situation in which it is blown. When it is blown, it is the most breathtaking sound one can hear. "

Pel caught the pride as Boromir spoke, and surprisingly did not request the Gondorian blow it, as other children might have. He also caught that it was for "special occasions" and not to be used lightly or without need. He did bent his gaze slightly to peer inside of it, as if that gave him some understanding of acoustics and how it would work, though it in truth did not. Boromir might have been forgiven if he believed Elves all knowing, and with their years they got close, but Pellavan didn't have enough of those yet to be any where near.

"Sorry if I ask too many questions", he went on to half apologize, though it was more just ensuring he didn't unduly bother such important guests, "But even after Eighty-Five years I...can hardly get out of Rivendell, and have explored the woods about mostly", but for that trip to Bree, but that was still 'close-by' "So there's much I don't know still. I try to ask Strider when I can, but one can hardly catch him now a days and now that your Fellowship is going to save Middle Earth". It was stated as a fact, with no possibility of failure to it, even though Pellavan knew such wasn't guaranteed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 01:46:50 PM by Pellavan »

(#FFF8DC)

Boromir

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 10:02:22 PM »
"I don't think you should be apologizing for asking questions, seeking knowledge is never a bad thing. You remind me a bit of my little brother, he'd never pass up on an opportunity to learn new things." he replied to the words of the other, the thought of Faramir made a smile form on his face, though the words of saving Middle Earth did lessen it a bit. If only it would be as easy as it sounded when the boy said it like that. "Yes, that is true indeed.." he muttered in response, thinking back to the council. While the decision to destroy the ring was still one that Boromir would prefer to avoid, the council had spoken and he had pledged his allegiance to the fellowship. He wouldn't break that bond, that wasn't something he'd do ever. "Eighty-five?" he had suddenly recalled the age of the Elf, the amused smile once again forming back on his face. "Who would have guessed that." perhaps it was better to keep the spirits and mood high for the time being, during the long trip to Mordor there would be more than enough time for hardships.

"Also, Strider does strike me as a busy person indeed." he added with a soft chuckle escaping his lips. Clearly the other hadn't overheard the council and the revelation of Strider's true heritage. It wasn't for Boromir to tell him such things, it would probably bring more questions towards the heir than now. "What are some of the things you would like to know, I'm sure you got more knowledge about the outside world in the books around here or the stories they can tell." Boromir had never been the one to study, at least not when it didn't involve military or conflicts in one way or another. "I'll try my best to answer your questions as best as I can while I have the time."

Pellavan

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 10:58:17 PM »
"I don't think you should be apologizing for asking questions, seeking knowledge is never a bad thing. You remind me a bit of my little brother, he'd never pass up on an opportunity to learn new things."

Pellavan didn't miss the smile that came to Boromir's face as he mentioned his little brother, and it caused the young Elf to smile as well, as he thought on his sisters. "I'm the youngest myself", he answered, though he hadn't asked how many brothers, or siblings, Boromir had, and therefore couldn't know if his situation really was that comparable to the Steward's other son. "and I'm sure my sisters would tell you I talk too much, so it must be something younger siblings just share".

Or the older had the luxury of fewer people recalling when they were the same.

Pellavan caught, a bit, the jest perhaps hidden in the Man's astonished stating of his age. "Oh, that's right, Men are grown by my age, aren't they?", he recalled their shorter life spans. Or hearing of them, and witnessing a bit of evidence with the two Men who'd sheltered in Rivendell, Estel and his mother. Strider (as he was called now) himself had shot up around the other Elf children of this place, having a brief moment when he could relate, perhaps, to Pel as well as the others, and then quickly surpassing them while they seemingly stayed the same.

How did they learn everything there was to learn in so short a time before people expected things of them?

He'd heard that, while not as long lived as Elves, Dwarves aged slower.

"Also, Strider does strike me as a busy person indeed."

Pellavan knew Boromir was alluding to the heritage that Strider had, even if the young Elf didn't know all of the facts. He was a Ranger who had something to aspire to, was about as close as Pel's knowledge got to it; and that from what he heard from others. He nodded his agreement with the assessment, but left it at that.

"What are some of the things you would like to know, I'm sure you got more knowledge about the outside world in the books around here or the stories they can tell."

"Yes, they help alot!", Pellavan admitted. It was very nice of Boromir to offer, also, to answer his questions, when he could, and perhaps should, be preparing for their quest.

Or maybe he wouldn't begrudge the break from thinking on all of it himself, the young Elf realized.

"Thank-you, very much", Pel made sure to show his gratitude for the other's kindness, "I think...more than wondering anything too deep, and again, I can get those sorts of answers from books, I just want to know what's out there, I guess. So what's your favorite things you've seen on the trip from Gondor to here?", and if that was silly to ask, he was still young, so he could be forgiven. But until he was better able to see them himself.

Plus if Boromir was also seeking distraction from the Quest by his offer, it would fulfill that requirement as well, hopefully.

(#FFF8DC)

Tags: boromir 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Bard: Reply for Bain [link]
    Today at 07:02:43 AM
  • Hild: Reply for Fengel [link]
    June 04, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
  • Hild: Reply for Haleth et all [link]
    June 03, 2020, 11:41:18 PM
  • Éowyn: Plotter tag for Marbys! [link]
    June 02, 2020, 10:32:55 AM
  • Éowyn: Starter for Theoden. <3 [link]
    June 02, 2020, 10:03:48 AM
  • Thengel: Reply for Morwen Steelsheen [link]
    June 02, 2020, 05:52:44 AM
  • Dáin Ironfoot: Starter for Kéra and family [link]
    May 31, 2020, 10:21:13 AM
  • Fengel: Starter for Hild et all [link]
    May 31, 2020, 12:20:29 AM
  • Cirdan: Open thread at Lindon after the fall of Arnor, but before the War of the Ring. [link]
    May 29, 2020, 06:38:48 AM
  • Becca: Open thread during LOTR (specifically after War of the Ring) with Sam [link]
    May 28, 2020, 04:25:06 AM
  • Nauroval: Open thread for assistance from any in Rohan/Near Fangorn! Removing an arrow from the wing of a Great Eagle and getting to possibly speak to her and meet Shadowfax due to it! :smile: [link]
    May 22, 2020, 12:08:54 AM
  • Nienna: Open thread for LotR time line, for Sahib: [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:44:11 AM
  • Nienna: Oh la la, a post! [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:38:53 AM
  • Sauron: Reply for Saruman [link]
    May 12, 2020, 09:02:52 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Trenardir [link]
    May 09, 2020, 07:46:26 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Elrond [link]
    May 09, 2020, 05:04:57 AM
  • Bard: Don't feel disheartened. The thread is open to anyone, including Bain. I've also made a slight change to the last paragraph. I hope it helps you in joining the thread.
    May 06, 2020, 08:34:45 AM
  • Nienna: Oh! Was about to toss Bain at Pappa, but after reading the last paragraph... hmmm...
    May 06, 2020, 03:32:31 AM
  • Bard: Open thread at Laketown for anyone with a reason to be there during a cold winter night
    May 01, 2020, 01:40:22 AM
  • Saruman: Starter for Sauron [[link]]
    April 30, 2020, 06:27:20 AM