• Nienna: OOOOOOOO~! GARD MAKIN' AN ELF
    August 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM
  • Gard: But yay success!
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:24 PM
  • Gard: Been there Hades :D
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
  • Gard: Aww
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:13 PM
  • Hades: So, how about I forgot that I changed my password... xD I've been trying to get in for the last twenty minutes.
    August 11, 2019, 12:18:29 AM
  • Eofor: Hi
    August 04, 2019, 06:46:46 PM
  • Icewolf: Does anyone play lotro? Had a bit of a rough night so I'm taking my loremaster around the farms of Oakbarton for the morning. I don't have the concentration for writing today.
    July 30, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
  • Hades: Goodness... okay. I hate this muse. XD It only works when it wants o.
    July 25, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
  • Icewolf: Hi.
    July 24, 2019, 11:36:35 PM
  • Dís: Eeeeeh hi again Icewolf!
    July 22, 2019, 11:13:41 PM
  • Nienna: Glad to see people posting!
    July 12, 2019, 03:20:14 AM
  • Gard: Hey Jo! Imma say Discord! <3
    June 09, 2019, 03:18:45 AM
  • Jo: Gard, if you're around to see this, but where is the best place to hit you up for plotting in-depth? Discord, Skype, the chatbox?
    June 09, 2019, 03:02:03 AM
  • thatguy2: yeah
    May 14, 2019, 04:32:36 AM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 131
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Forum Staff

Ulmo admin Ulmo
Administrator
Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: We Will Rebuild  (Read 125 times)

Gard of Lake-town

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
We Will Rebuild
« on: November 24, 2019, 04:44:07 AM »
It had only been five years since the destruction of Lake Town by Smaug. Only five years. While the facts of that thought were correct, it also seemed not so. Or the thought was hard to take in. So much had happened in those five years, and not just him, Bain and the girls getting older.

These thoughts helped the now Sixteen year old Noble of Dale cross from the fields and paths outside the city to the wooden bridge and then structure fast coming up. In rebuilding, they had moved Lake Town a bit down...well the lake. presumably so the same didn't happen again, though Smaug was dead and said to be the last of his kind.

It was still a work in progress, but...Lake Town was also a town again. In some ways the same and in some ways not. Gard paused as he passed into the market again and glanced around. Of course he'd seen the town in all stages of it's reconstruction, his uncle, and all of them, still closely aided the work, but...it had and was coming along nicely.

Gard recalled rushing by the sweets stall there as a younger child...well no, not that one and it was now on the wrong side of the market. It would take some getting used to. The only minor changes.

With another smile to himself, he walked further along down the row of buildings, taking in but also looking for anywhere it seemed their family's help was still needed. If he ran into the new, kinder, Master of Lake Town he would also ask him.

These thoughts, and Gard running through things in his head, were paused as he thought he heard a noise over along the side of one of the buildings. He stopped and glanced in, wondering if it was just a stray cat or actually someone. "Hello?", he called softly, "Anyone there?

wonderful sig made by Alagon

(teal)

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: AliLea
Re: We Will Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 05:09:19 AM »
Emmy was one of the survivors when Laketown had been attacked just 5 years ago. However, she lost her mother in the process of it all. Though taken in by an innkeeper and his wife, it was mostly out of pity. Though her life there was fine at first, she was eventually treated as a slave. Forced to do chores, most of which were really hard for her to do. Emmy was working in an alley just next to the tavern she lived at. She gasped hearing someone ask if anyone was there before backing up a bit out of fear. She was afraid of a lot of people, mostly because of the way she was treated and abused. Afraid others would do the same. She had been throwing away bags of trash into the dumpster there, even though she could barley lift it.

OOC: I hope this is okay. I know it's a small reply but I'll try to write more as this goes on
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:39:34 PM by Emmy »

Gard of Lake-town

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 03:38:05 PM »
<<ooc: Ok ^^ A good word count to aim for is at least 200 words and most of yours are so very close to that, and matching your rp partner yeah. Like Hades said, you'll get there and we'll help ya warm up, and I think you put 3 years because she was 3, the attack was 5 years ago with where the thread's set <3>>

More noise accompanied his question, but not any animals rushing out of the alley way in fear. Though Gard didn't expect any animals worse than a stray dog or cat to be inhabiting the town and alley, so remained relaxed enough. Yes a Dragon had once attacked this town, or the town it had been, but, again that was old news and there were no more.

You're still going to cling to childish ideas aren't you?, Gard asked himself in his thoughts. At Eleven, and before, he had claimed the old poems were good things and that the Dwarves would mean good visiting.

Gard wasn't sorry to have met them, and still couldn't full blame them, like some did, maybe since they had suffered losses too.

All of these thoughts passed briefly by and were hindered as he finally got a glimpse of the alley's occupant. A small girl. She looked frightened, so he smiled kindly, "Well greetings there, sorry didn't mean to startle you". He noticed the bags beside her. She'd been taking out the trash perhaps, either for her family or taking in extra work, as he knew some had to with Lake Town's economy and even now, though Dale tried to offer assistance now that it was up and rebuilt as well.

"Here, let me give you a hand with those", he stepped over, moving slow still so as to not startle her more, and lifted one bag up and into the receptacle. He then smiled back down to the girl again. "Are you helping your parents? Do you work here?". His smile fell a bit as, now that he was closer, he could see she seemed in bad shape. He knelt to get a closer look, noticing a bruise along one arm. "How...how did that happen?", the teen asked softly.

(teal)

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
Emmy was unsure about him and remained frozen in fear but did relax slightly when he tried to comfort her. She couldn't tell if he was actually being nice to her or if it was out of pity as it was with most everyone here anyway. She was shocked to see him lift a trash bag up with no problem and put it in the bin. Emmy then continued to work. She could get in a lot of trouble if she was found slacking. She could barley lift up the bags to begin with as it was really heavy.

She glanced down when he mentioned if she was helping her parents with some work, when in reality, she was forced to do these things by the innkeeper and his wife. She was treated as a slave and gone through abuse as well. "I don't have parents, at least not anymore. I never knew my papa and my mama died 5 years ago. And I do work at this tavern. No choice" Emmy said. She knew to answer when spoken to even if it was something bad.

She flinched as he knelt down to her level to see her closer. Emmy waited for him to speak again but what he asked next was how she got the bruise on her arm. "Oh that. I just fell that's all" Emmy lied. She didn't want to say it was an abuse mark. Sadly it was clear that the bruise didn't come from a fall at all but she didn't want to say anyway.

OOC: Okay I fixed it. I changed it from 3 to 5 years. Is this reply a little better?

Gard of Lake-town

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
<Yep, you're getting there and don't worry the longer you rp the more you get used to it and it becomes second nature to delve into their thoughts etc along with events. Gard has quite a few on the tavern owner :D Also I'm assuming it's alright for me to use the inn keeper and his wife in my post just to help the plot move along? We often allow that with background characters that are not a player's actual ones but I also always ask <3>>

The child remained frozen and unsure, but Gard wouldn't blame her for that. Unfortunately Lake Town had been a mixed bag of people before, with both honest families just trying to make a living, like Gard's own, and those looking to get ahead like the Master and Alfrid. And then the families that were both, and felt cheating was the way to better their situations.

Even after all of the hardships and rebuilding, some remained unchanged while some had been humbled by it all. Of course Gard's uncle and guardian who had once been a bargeman and fisherman just trying to feed all four of them (and himself when he recalled to) now being a king made some resentful while kinder neighbors said they got what was rightly theirs for all their own aid to those also struggling.

The girl still tried to lift the bags even as he helped her, and Gard wondered if maybe her parents were a bit strict...she seemed so frightened of something.

"I don't have parents, at least not anymore. I never knew my papa and my mama died 5 years ago. And I do work at this tavern. No choice", her tiny voice said. Gard paused in the act of lifting a bag and glanced to her, before getting on with placing the bag before turning back to her.

Lost her mother five years ago...probably in the dragon attack...

Gard himself had been fortunate to know his father, and have memories up to age five before he was lost on that trip where Mirkwood probably got him. Then his mother and himself had made it as best they could, and with Uncle Bard's help even then until she got sick. Not...so quick as a dragon attack but...loss of parents, sometimes it didn't matter how they died, just that they had.

Bain and the girls knew that having lost their own mother when Tilda was born, before Gard lived with them.

He was about to say he was sorry for this when he took in the last bit also. Tavern...Gard glanced to the building before glancing back to the girl even as he knelt down. The building had gone through changes, like the rest of the town, but still Gard recognized it.

He would say he was surprised the tavern owner would 'bother with a kid', he wasn't the nicest man, except that he clearly got something, and free labor, out of it!

"Oh that. I just fell that's all".

Not if he knew the Tavern owners...

Gard still recalled when he was a nobody kid and the tavern owner's wife had thrown water on him, like he was a stray cat, and just for asking one of her guest's a question! She'd called him a nuisance to her business and shooed him away, threatening to tell the Master, since she knew that would get results with all the trouble he gave Gard's family.

Gard frowned, not at her and hopefully she wouldn't think so.

"I'm sorry to hear about your parents", he said genuinely, and didn't form an opinion on her father one way or the other on if he was most likely dead or just left, "I lost mine when I was five, but I had the good fortune of my uncle, who cared for me, taking me in"

Then, alluding as he had been to the tavern owners, and her not being so lucky, though he wouldn't have said it of course, Speak of the Dragon...

"Here now! What d'ye think ye're doing?", the tavern owner's wife came out, to scold the girl probably. Gard stood and faced her, stepping so that he was in front of the girl and frowning at the woman.

He wasn't shy to say he was a bit braver to face her at Sixteen than he had been at Ten and such, and now that he was royalty of Dale and all.

The tavern owner's wife took in the situation and crossed her arms, "Oh it's you is it? Well what d'ye want Mister High and Mighty Noble of Dale?" she scoffed, clearly not thinking him any different than that kid of a fishing village, living in Dale now or no.

Gard frowned again, but not for his own sake, "An explanation of how you've been treating this poor girl, I ought to report you to my uncle!".

The woman scoffed like she wasn't afraid of him, though Gard had a feeling she wouldn't be so rude if his uncle really was here. Or if he really did it.

(teal)

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 06:32:53 AM »
< I've rped before. I'm just not used to doing multi para. And yeah you can use the innkeeper. I don't mind one bit. Of course I appreciate you asking >

Emmy continued to work despite the unknown 16 year old talking to her yet she still listened. She coughed a few times into her arm out of weakness but she couldn't help it. She wasn't exactly in a good situation. She was about to speak again, only for the wife of the innkeeper to open up the door.

Emmy couldn't help but flinch a little bit seeing this happen. She spoke when the innkeeper's wife acknowledged her in a very mean tone and scolding her for pretty much nothing. "Throwing away the trash like you told me to. I didn't do anything wrong" Emmy said, trying to be brave but she clearly wasn't brave at all.

The little 8 year was surprised when the unknown person suddenly stood in front of her, as if protecting her? She didn't understand. No one ever did that for her. In fact, no one had ever tried to help her or save her from the situation she had been put through. She continued throwing the trash away with struggle. Usually she would be done with all of this earlier but with her growing weaker each day, it was starting to get a lot harder. She was scolded even if she was doing something right.

Emmy didn't stop, even when Gard stood in front of her, knowing she would get in more trouble if she was caught slacking. The innkeepers wife clearly thought she had been slacking but Emmy was still working as the 16 year old spoke to her. Usually, people would walk past, or they would glance at her but still walk away anyway. After much struggle, Emmy got the rest of the trash thrown away and waited for what her next task would be. None of the tasks Emmy did was ever easy.

The poor orphan sneezed a little bit into her arm. She still couldn't understand why she was treated this way. When the innkeeper and his wife first took her in when she was 3, everything started normal. They had let her mourn the loss of her mother and did treat her well. That was until Emmy stopped mourning. That was when things got worse for her. Everday she was treated as a slave. Her clothing didn't really resemble clothing, more like rags. Not to mention, she was also barefoot. It was freezing outside and yet there was nothing she could do about it.

Gard of Lake-town

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 05:49:04 AM »
The child’s bravery, enough to say even what she did to the inn-keeper’s wife, was admirable, and yet Gard was determined that she should now have an ally to help her out, and not have to go it alone. So he stood his ground as he stood there facing this woman he knew could instill fear.

No doubt the woman would have answered Emmy harsher had he not been there, much as she pretended to scoff his position now, but as it was, she contented herself with telling Emmy to “get on about it then”. Even though the girl was clearly working.

It was making the little idea Gard had thought become more and more of an actual thing.

The woman then faced him again. “Well, if there’s nothing else, M’lord”, she mocked again as she said this.

Yet Gard could take the mockery.

”Just one thing”, he said, squaring his shoulders before turning back to the girl and bending to her level again.

”I’m sorry, I haven’t introduced myself yet. I’m Gard. My uncle Bard is king of Dale”, he paused after finishing his introduction, and didn’t know if she’d ever been there. Given her age probably at least for a bit while they rebuilt Lake Town.

”And I know you just met me, but...you're a child in need and shouldn’t be treated like a servant", he was half talking to the inn-keeper's wife with that remark. "How would you like me to find someone who will take better care of you?", he smiled to her.

He didn't say himself or his family, though...he wasn't against the idea of taking her in as a sort of little sister, and since it was his idea, if he did take her back to Dale with him, he would accept all the responsibility for her, since he hadn't mentioned it to his family, though he already knew how the girls would dote on her too.

Still, like he said, he would ask around; see what did seem best for her.

"Now see here", the inn-keeper's wife began. Gard stood and glared at her, as much as a still boy of Sixteen could. "If you have a problem with that, perhaps you should bring it before my uncle".

(teal)

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 05:54:50 AM »
Emmy was unsure of Gard meaning what he was saying. She couldn't really tell if he was only being nice to her out of pity or if he was actually being nice to her. She flinched slightly when he knelt down to her level again. She couldn't help it. She had no idea if he would abuse her or not. It was all she basically knew after mourning her mother.

"I I don't think I've been to Dale. Then again, I probably don't remember it anyway. I was only 3 when the dragon attacked" Emmy said. That was probably true. Even if she did live in Dale, she didn't remember it due to how young she was at the time. That was 5 years ago when it happened. When everything went downhill for the young orphan.

"But I'm not sure if I believe you. How do I know you are only being nice to me out of pity?" Emmy asked. She was really unsure about this. Though she liked the idea of having a better life, she knew the innkeeper and his wife wouldn't give her up so easily. They did take her in after all but now her life was just plain miserable. Emmy couldn't tell if Gard was telling her the truth or not.

"I guess you can look around, if it's not a bother to you that is" Emmy said with some hesitation to Gard. She didn't know what to think. She didn't know if he would just turn his back to her after awhile. Mostly everyone just took a glance at her but ended up walking away anyway. Aware of her situation but yet they did nothing about it. It wasn't like Emmy had anyone to go to anyway. Why would anyone take in an orphan. She didn't know if they would just treat her the same as the innkeeper and his wife did.

Gard of Lake-town

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 04:00:48 PM »
Gard nodded as she answered him on not recalling Dale, if she had been there. Well, at first it hadn't looked much different than Lake Town after the Dragon came, and they had had to rebuild it as well, so, one probably would look the same as the other, in a way, and to a small child.

That and she clearly had other concerns at the time and now.

"But I'm not sure if I believe you. How do I know you are only being nice to me out of pity?"

Bold words indeed! This girl had a hidden sort of spunk that would probably show better if she could get out from under the fear the Inn Keeper and his wife were inspiring. Or maybe shone through it, and her difficult circumstances. Gard just smiled kindly. He also understood where she was coming from, at five, when he'd been left alone, a part of him wondered if Uncle Bard just took him in because he 'had to'.

"You don't at first, you're right, smart girl to not trust the first person to find you", he smiled again, "So come on, I'll earn that trust, what do you say?", he still didn't force her answer, and just held out his hand in offer, but letting her decide, though she'd already said he could 'try'.

She was right, and Gard had known, that the Inn Keeper and his wife wouldn't stand down so easily. "Now see here...", the woman even began, trying to step in. Gard turned to face her, and spoke with his own boldness, born of his rightful position as a Lord of Dale. "I may still be young, Ma'am, but don't insult me, I know abuse vs. care when I see it, and since this child is clearly getting none of the latter, you have no claim on her and she is currently a ward of Lake Town, which is under jurisdiction of my uncle; so either you let me find better for her, or I come back with a set of guards to do a home inspection to ensure you are best for her".

Treatment of the girl aside, Gard knew they also had secrets of hiding money and such to hide and she was probably not anxious to have them find out about those. She growled and finally spat out a "Fine! And good riddance, she's just trouble, you'll see!" before going in and slamming the door.

Gard sighed and smiled to the girl again, "Well, there's one of your problems taken care of for you, don't worry, whatever happens I won't let you go back to their abuse. Oh, and since we're going to at least be walking around town together, can I get your name my fair lady?". He joked a bit calling a child such a fancy name, but all in trying to help her feel better.

(teal)

Tags: emmy ta 2946 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis
    November 24, 2019, 03:32:06 AM
  • Lothíriel: [link] Eorik as well
    November 12, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
  • Meren: Reply for Faramir (finally after a million years) [link]
    November 12, 2019, 07:33:42 PM
  • Legolas: [link] @Thranduil