• Nienna: OOOOOOOO~! GARD MAKIN' AN ELF
    August 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM
  • Gard: But yay success!
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:24 PM
  • Gard: Been there Hades :D
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
  • Gard: Aww
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:13 PM
  • Hades: So, how about I forgot that I changed my password... xD I've been trying to get in for the last twenty minutes.
    August 11, 2019, 12:18:29 AM
  • Eofor: Hi
    August 04, 2019, 06:46:46 PM
  • Icewolf: Does anyone play lotro? Had a bit of a rough night so I'm taking my loremaster around the farms of Oakbarton for the morning. I don't have the concentration for writing today.
    July 30, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
  • Hades: Goodness... okay. I hate this muse. XD It only works when it wants o.
    July 25, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
  • Icewolf: Hi.
    July 24, 2019, 11:36:35 PM
  • Dís: Eeeeeh hi again Icewolf!
    July 22, 2019, 11:13:41 PM
  • Nienna: Glad to see people posting!
    July 12, 2019, 03:20:14 AM
  • Gard: Hey Jo! Imma say Discord! <3
    June 09, 2019, 03:18:45 AM
  • Jo: Gard, if you're around to see this, but where is the best place to hit you up for plotting in-depth? Discord, Skype, the chatbox?
    June 09, 2019, 03:02:03 AM
  • thatguy2: yeah
    May 14, 2019, 04:32:36 AM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 129
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Forum Staff

Ulmo admin Ulmo
Administrator
Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: A Fragile Orphan  (Read 115 times)

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: AliLea
  • Application: Plotter
A Fragile Orphan
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:06:48 AM »
It was early morning. Emmy at this time was awake though she would rather be sleeping. Sadly this wasn't an option for her. She lived at a tavern with an innkeeper and his wife, who treated her as a slave. She had gone through abuse as well. There was nothing she could do about it though. Emmy had nowhere else to go and no one even bothered to help her anyway.

The young 8 year old coughed weakly as she got out the broom and started sweeping the front of the store. She was dressed in a shirt and a skirt but it was torn in many places, making it appear more as rags rather than clothing. She coughed a little bit into her arm but continued to do work anyway despite not wanting to do any of it. She wished everyday to have a family but she feared that it would never happen. She set up tables as well that were outside though almost broke some of the glasses because of her shaking so much as it is.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:07:47 AM by Emmy »

Oliver

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
  • Plotter: Plotter
Re: A Fragile Orphan
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 04:04:49 AM »
Mornings. Oh god mornings! The beating light that filtered through the window was like his mother slapping him in the face. Truth was, the first ray of light had barely come above the mountain, but the morning air smelt of mist and Laketown. The fishy smell of the lake was drowned in everyone’s nostrils, except newcomers. And, newcomers seemed to be pouring in by the day. Good for business, bad for comment cards.

Oliver picked himself up off the floor of his humble little den. God, he hadn’t even made it to the bed! He stumbled over it and sat down, using the post for leverage as the world turned right-side-up once again. The morning sounds of people bustling about the town greeted his ears like someone banging a drum right outside his window. He wanted to yell for them to stop, but knew that would only make it worse.

Some good, strong coffee was what he needed. Or some tea. Tea perhaps.

Oliver stumbled out on to the street. There was no sense in him locking his door, there was nothing worth stealing. So he walked down the street until the first ray of sunshine peered over the tops of the houses. It was then he stumbled upon a tavern. A little girl he had seen before was setting up the dinning tables outside.

It was curious that she was setting them up herself. He watched her for a moment, his lanky body leaning against a post. It wasn’t until she nearly knocked the whole table over that he hurried over. He steadied the chair, and set it down. “You shouldn’t be doing this yourself,” He started, helping her with the other chairs, “And it’s freezing! Have you nothing warmer to wear?” It was always cold on the lake early in the mornings...

ooc: give your posts a little more pep! I want to know what she's thinking, and feeling besides her obvious circumstances. <3 What does she make of Oliver?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:05:54 AM by Oliver »
speech color code: #730099

played by: Hades

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 04:25:43 AM »
Emmy thought the table would crash down after she bumped into it with her stumbling around. She was indeed freezing cold. Let alone, her feet were bare as well. Emmy was als very dirty and had many bruises on her small frame in spots where others could see them and more underneath her rags basically.

Emmy jumped in surprise when someone spoke to her after the table nearly fell over. She looked over to see a man helping her. Helping her? Usually nobody ever did that for her. Most of the time, she was ignored. The only people who ever paid attention to her were the innkeeper and his wife but it was always barking orders and it was never kind.

Emmy had seen Oliver around before, often times in the tavern with a drink in hand though not always. Other times, she saw him wandering the streets of Laketown while she did duties in the town away from the tavern. They never interacted though, except until now. She was slightly afraid of him as she was with pretty much everyone really. All she knew was a life of forced labor along with abuse. Of course she couldn't help but feel this way.

She was quite surprised he was helping her to say the least. She sighed. "It's not like I have much of a choice" Emmy spoke softly. She listened to him speak again before answering. "I don't have anything warmer. This is all I've ever worn. Doesn't matter if it's cold or not" Emmy said. She knew better to answer when spoken to. She couldn't not do that.

OOC: I'll do my best. I'm still getting used to this site since I'm still new here

Oliver

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 05:02:18 AM »

As he helped her, he got a better look at her. Her arms were covered with bruises, healing and some looked new. Her golden hair - he assumed that when it was washed it looked that way - had mud, and she was dirty from head to toe. Not much unlike himself. He hadn’t had a chance to wash his face, or bathe. He probably smelled like he had crawled out of a pit somewhere, but like everything else on this lake, everyone was nose-blind to it.

She didn’t say anything at first. She just watched him, her expression unreadable. Was she in shock? Her bare feet were muddy, like a hobbit’s - not that he had ever seen one, mind you. Thankfully there was a chance for things to warm up a bit later on.

When she did speak, it was soft. Oliver liked that. Whatever she was going through, she wasn’t losing what innocence she had. But, he was puzzled, “Oh, sure you do. Everyone has a choice!” He answered, sitting down in one of the chairs. They were all down now, “Never think you don’t have a choice.” Though, upon consideration he added, “It’s mostly the consequences that are to be feared… I should know.” He smiled brightly at her, despite how he was feeling.

A little philosophy early in the morning brought on such a headache, though. No need for children to see. Heh, but children often saw what a lot of grown-ups thought invisible...

ooc:: Then we'll get you warmed up!

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 06:09:06 AM »
Once the chairs were down, she started working on another chore. She didn’t even stop to rest, even though she was out of breath. She listened to him and sighed before wincing hard from her fresh bruises she had gotten the choice. “Not for me. I’m never allowed to have a choice” she spoke while working, nearly collapsing a few times from weakness. She coughed some more in her arms as she was already getting sick. Emmy already knew she wouldn’t get medical care anyway.

“I have to work all day and do as I’m told. I can’t take breaks unless I can go hide somewhere. Even when I do that, I eventually have to come out and I still have to work” Emmy continues on. She didn’t look so good at all, not like anyone cared though. She still wasn’t sure about this man though. He could only be being nice to her out of pity as it was with most everyone. The poor orphan was used to this though. She found it hard to believe anyone would even care for her. Besides who would? She had nowhere to go anyway. Emmy was lucky to have a roof over her head despite working most of the time.

Oliver

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 05:26:00 AM »
He listened to her. Something he assumed that not many adults did at any particular time, unless they were just good parents. His eyes followed her, but he sat back in the chair; watching her work as she spoke. The morning light shone through the townhouses. Lake-town had since rebuilt, and it was much nicer than the spot on the lake, though you could still see the shamble of the burnt buildings.

At least she hadn’t had to grow up in that. He thought, taking his eyes off the girl. He didn’t pity, at least not in the way that she may have thought. It was relational. Sometimes, things happened to you as an adult that happened to someone else as a child. Falling in love, finding a job, working like you were some sort of slave. Nothing had really changed, Oliver reflected. Just the surroundings.

“Things don’t always stay the same.” He said at last, shoving his hands in his pockets to keep them warm. It still irritated him to wonder how she had gotten those bruises, and that she looked malnourished. It set in his heart uncomfortably. There were children better off than she apparently was. But, afraid that prying would only cause her to shy away, Ollie tried a different topic, “It’s none of my business really,” he sighed, “Maybe you could get me some tea? I have a splitting headache, so whatever is strongest?” He reached into his pocket and pulled out enough coin to pay.

Well, his financial situation had changed… if he was being honest with himself. He had a good steady job - which he hated, but it was better than nothing. How poor did you really have to be? He wondered, to treat a child like this?

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 06:08:05 AM »
Emmy continued to work despite him talking to her, every once in awhile, looking nervously around for the innkeeper and his wife. They got mad if she was caught slacking which she did often. She easily got distracted though couldn't help it. All she could see was happy familes and good people and yet they ignored her. Some would take a glance at her but would end up walking away in the end. Some were cruel to her while others were only nice to her out of pity. How did she know if Oliver was the same way as everyone else was.

Emmy actually had grown up in the old Laketown but she had her mother there, at least until the dragon showed up and destroyed pretty much everything. Emmy didn't remember much of the old Laketown due to her being only 3 years old at the time of the destruction. She considered herself lucky to have survived but sacrifices were made. Losing her mother was probably the hardest thing ever. Of course, Emmy had no other family so she was basically alone.

She nodded when he asked if he could have some tea. She didn't say where her bruises had come from. Emmy usually lied about that. She would lie saying that she only just fell. Though it was the case on some of her wounds, most of them were indeed abuse marks but she wouldn't say that. People would probably just pity her as always, even though she was hurt and treated as a slave everyday. Forced to do hard work but she did it without a fuss, knowing full well she would get in trouble if she did do that.

Emmy walked inside the tavern again though still stumbled quite a bit anyway. She went to the back and got the strongest tea that she knew of. She had to be careful not to spill anything but with her already shaking, it was very hard to do. Some drops of water and parts of tea did end up spilling on the floor, but it was only an accident. She couldn't help that it happened. Emmy quickly cleaned up the mess so it looked like nothing had happened, even though she knew the innkeeper and his wife were always watching.

Emmy slowly carried the tea in one hand and the water for more in the other. She was barely strong enough to even lift them anyway but she still managed to do so anyway. She did spill some on her way out but at least it wasn't everything. It was only just a few drops mostly. She carefully set the tea on the table where the man was sitting though still spilled some and some of it did land on the man. Of course with the tea hot, it did burn. She quickly apologized.

"I'm so so sorry" Emmy said to him before pouring the tea into the cup again, that was half empty as half of it did land on Oliver, but it was an accident, even though Emmy knew she would still get punished later anyway. The innkeeper and his wife always knew when something bad had happened. Even if it wasn't her fault, they still blamed her for it.

Oliver

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
While she was gone, Oliver did some thinking. He couldn’t really remember ever having been in this particular tavern, the way it was dressed up. He peered in the window from his seat. It looked like all the others. He turned his attention back to the street, and watched as people tossed water into the street, and started sweeping off the walk to their businesses. When he inhaled, the smell of cinnamon wafted through the air accompanied by the sweet scent of baking pies.

Distracted by this, Oliver didn’t recognize a familiar figure walking down the street towards him until the man greeted, “Good morning, Oliver!” A bright smile that could have out-done the sun. “Never thought I would see you sitting outside this tavern, what with how they do business and all.” Oliver’s eyebrows raised in curiosity as the man continued, “Pretty sketchy, if you ask me. Don’t treat that little girl right, either, but no one has the courage to say anything. Pretty up-tight, if you ask me.”

“I’ll… keep that in mind, good morning!” Oliver said as the man walked away just as Emmy came out of the tavern with his tea; water splashing nearly everywhere.

She set the tea on the table, and started to pour. Oliver sat up, his hands instinctively reaching to help her. As he did so, the liquid splashed his hands, and instinctively he gave a small protest before taking the kettle from her. “No, no…” He corrected, it wasn’t entirely her fault, had she even eaten this morning? “I’ll take care of it...” The smell of cinnamon buns floated across once more, “Do you know the bakery right around the corner? Why don’t you go get me two of those delicious cinnamon buns, while you’re at it? I can handle the tea.” He handed her more coin - Bea’s Bakery was just around the corner, she wouldn’t be missed a second! Did they allow tipping?

The owners of the tavern hadn’t come out yet. He suspected they were either still asleep, and left the little girl to run it, or they were out. Watching from some place. Either way, the little girl’s absence - if she should go and get the buns - would give him a moment to snoop about and find out… none of his business indeed.

ooc:: It's up to you. xD I can add the part of Bea (Beatrice) and if you like, you can play the owners if they catch Ollie snooping about! Twisty plot!

Emmy

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 07:20:18 AM »
OOC: Interesting :) Well we will see what happens XD

Emmy didn't mean to spill tea on his hands but she couldn't help it with all her shaking. She hadn't eaten at all that morning but then again, she hardly ever got anything. Some days, she was given nothing to eat, other days she just got some bread but most of the time it was nothing. Emmy was clearly malnourished as it was.

She hesitated when he asked her to bring him some buns from the bakery just around the corner. She glanced around nervously in hopes she didn't see the tavern owners watching though they could easily be doing that without Emmy actually seeing them.

"I I guess I can get you some buns. Hopefully it won't take too long" Emmy said though still hesitated. She looked at the coins in her hand and back up at the unknown man. Why was he helping her? Was it just out of pity? It probably was. Everyone pitied her and did nothing to get her out of this situation.

Emmy slowly walked away, glancing around nervously as she went towards the bakery just around the corner. Emmy's tummy rumbled and it didn't help with the fact she could smell sweets and other things being baked. Emmy opened the door with some difficulty with her weakness. It would've otherwise been easy.

Emmy looked around the bakery at all the food, knowing she wouldn't get anything for herself. It was just for the man after all. She leaned against a wall to catch her breath. Despite walking a short distance, she lost her breath easily but it wasn't surprising though. Emmy's tummy rumbled again, which showed how hungry she was. She didn't know who worked here as she actually hadn't been to this bakery before.

Tags: oliver 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis
    November 24, 2019, 03:32:06 AM
  • Lothíriel: [link] Eorik as well
    November 12, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
  • Meren: Reply for Faramir (finally after a million years) [link]
    November 12, 2019, 07:33:42 PM
  • Legolas: [link] @Thranduil
    November 09, 2019, 01:38:45 AM
  • Galadriel: i give up i keep hitting the wrong account here xD