Mutual Secrets by Fritz
[January 24, 2020, 04:40:15 AM]

Re: Lemongrass and Streets by Annis
[January 23, 2020, 11:54:11 PM]

Re: Ink Complications and Comfort by Líknví
[January 23, 2020, 05:04:20 PM]

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Fridr: Sorry for the bombardment of posts about to happen - 100% apologise. Trying to fix something.
    January 19, 2020, 01:22:29 AM
  • Ulmo: I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! <3
    December 29, 2019, 01:12:19 PM
  • Nienna: Howdy, Becca!
    November 03, 2019, 03:41:21 PM
  • Gard: And Cass of course <3
    August 25, 2019, 12:17:28 AM
  • Gard: I love it so much!!
    August 25, 2019, 12:14:42 AM
  • Gard: Yay amazing Blue post! <3 <3
    August 25, 2019, 12:14:29 AM
  • Nienna: :D
    August 16, 2019, 03:14:37 AM
  • Gard: Hehe guilty as charged :D
    August 16, 2019, 01:13:02 AM
  • Nienna: OOOOOOOO~! GARD MAKIN' AN ELF
    August 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM
  • Gard: But yay success!
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:24 PM
  • Gard: Been there Hades :D
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
  • Gard: Aww
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:13 PM
  • Hades: So, how about I forgot that I changed my password... xD I've been trying to get in for the last twenty minutes.
    August 11, 2019, 12:18:29 AM
  • Eofor: Hi
    August 04, 2019, 06:46:46 PM
  • Icewolf: Does anyone play lotro? Had a bit of a rough night so I'm taking my loremaster around the farms of Oakbarton for the morning. I don't have the concentration for writing today.
    July 30, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
  • Hades: Goodness... okay. I hate this muse. XD It only works when it wants o.
    July 25, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
  • Icewolf: Hi.
    July 24, 2019, 11:36:35 PM
  • Dís: Eeeeeh hi again Icewolf!
    July 22, 2019, 11:13:41 PM
  • Nienna: Glad to see people posting!
    July 12, 2019, 03:20:14 AM
  • Gard: Hey Jo! Imma say Discord! <3
    June 09, 2019, 03:18:45 AM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 100
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Forum Staff

Ulmo admin Ulmo
Administrator
Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: Disrespectful Treatment of Trees for a Good Cause  (Read 339 times)

Pellavan

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Disrespectful Treatment of Trees for a Good Cause
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:54:13 AM »
{I have it set TA 2964 but can tweak that for ease of participants}

"Hold on, I got you...", there was a calm to the young voice that was not reflected in the darting eyes as Pel gathered up a few more bits of twig and vines and stuffed them into the sack he'd brought along. When he felt it was adequately padded, he then reached over, gently, and lifted the tiny Goshawk chick up and into the conveyance. He then just as carefully slung it around his back, leaving the flap open. He would have preferred the front, for better cradling, but then he couldn't climb as well.

Pellavan glanced up at their destination and the nest in the tall, broad, oak of the near by forest. This was going to be tricky he knew...

But for the tiny Goshawk now in his care, he placed his feet where he could get a good grip and slowly hoisted himself up, using a few Elven daggers he'd brought along to help the job to further steady his ascent. From her nest, the mother watched, seemingly knowing he meant no harm to her or her offspring. Pel was glad for that connection his kind seemed to have with the natural world, and which served him very well indeed!

Of course he was in danger of being an Elf to next be criticized by Saruman in the likes of the Wizard Radagast, and for too firm a connection there, but if the Istari really cared to even give the small Elven child the time of day enough to pass this thought on, Pel still wouldn't be bothered by it. Not even if he waited a few centuries or millenia and delivered such when he was grown.

These were just things the observant child had heard of, and despite his wandering track of mind, he kept the other part of his focus upon his task; his foot slipping was not an error of step, just the bark giving way, and his hand-holds preserved him.

He soon righted his footing and listened for sounds from the goshawk chick to tell if it wasn’t alright, rather than asked, before pressing on.

Using his daggers as final footholds, he hoisted himself onto the branch finally and carefully brought the pack back around, grinning at the chick inside. "Here we are!", he lifted the tiny thing over back to the nest, smiling as the mother bent over to check it and not even flinching as she fed it in case it was hungry after that ordeal.

It was sad some things had to die for others to live, but it was Illuvatar's way, or maybe it wasn't and the Darkness had brought it on even from the beginning. Pel pondered these matters a bit deep for even his still small Elven frame on his way back down to the ground. After stowing the daggers again, he made quicker time down, letting himself sort of slid, controlled, down the trunk instead of purposefully climbing, as he had up.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:18:42 AM by Pellavan »

(#FFF8DC)

Nyx

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Re: Disrespectful Treatment of Trees for a Good Cause
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 02:50:31 AM »
Nyx had heard the low chirping and moved closer, expecting to surprise an easy snack. The trajectory of the sound suggested two very beneficial things to the Warg, it was young (only baby birds made sounds like this one, they were shriller when older), and it was on the ground and not in a nest. Of course, parents were not counted out completely, and even Nyx's wide span of experience wandering the lands of Middle Earth a free Warg, not tied to any filthy Orcs, didn't make her confident as to the species of bird she would thus be dealing with, but she still felt she could handle it.

Only a Great Eagle would truly give her pause of all the birds of Middle Earth, though she would be loath to admit this to anyone, herself included; and even then it was not impossible, she would merely have to be quick in her snatch and dash. Viewing another talking species of Middle Earth as food also didn't bother her, there was no great love between Great Eagles and Wargs, her association with Orcs dropped or no.

Having left Azog's forces years ago, when she could be considered just barely not a pup, she had never witnessed her point of it being pointless to fight Orc battles proven right when a whole host of the Orc's Wargs met their doom off a cliff at the talons of Gwaihir's rank of Eagles, but she didn't have to to know her enemies.

Never-mind her enemies consisted of a lot of the creatures, free or otherwise, of Middle Earth, even other Wargs included since they tended to be so stupid as to still serve Orcs. Only if the enemy relationship was made of more caution or hatred seemed to change species to species.

Elves had a bit of both, but more the latter.

Of course, being so near Rivendell, Nyx should have anticipated having to dodging around them, but what she did not anticipate, was a small Elf child being halfway up a tree with her prize by the time she had sniffed it out. Even having smelled him as well, it was an odd scene she watched play out. Her hope the mother would peck the Elf, just so she could witness a bit of fun, not even coming to pass as Nyx observed from a cluster of trees.

Well, hopefully Mama Hawk was now too busy with her chick to be annoying in defense of its defender.

As the Elf touched back down to the grass, Nyx snarled and walked out, circling. She debated, as she always did, but decided to let this one in on the secret of her speech before she killed it. "That was not wise little Elf...that hatchling was to be my snack. Now you will have to suffice", she said. She continued her approach at a slow stalk, trying to keep it where he couldn't guess when her attack was likely to come, but keeping her eyes upon him lest he bolt.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:19:20 AM by Nyx »

(#4B0082)

Arthfael

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 05:56:09 AM »
The sun was warm, and the trees around him provided just enough shade to make it comfortable. Arthfael yawned, stretching into a more comfortable lounging position, his long legs stretched before him, and his - not really his - hat tipped to shade his eyes as he rested it against the tree, and nestled into the roots. Folding his arms across his chest, he closed his eyes to get some much needed sleep. He had been traveling long, and riding Ace for most of the trip was exhausting. He breathed the forest air in deep. It smelled sweet in the warmth of the sun. He kept inhaling until he found a steady rhythm before nodding off to sleep.

In his dream, he was back on Ace riding through the trees, the mountains on one side, and open field on the other. He was escaping something, he couldn’t see what was chasing him, he only knew he had to get away. This wasn’t the first time he had, had this dream. And each time he came close to seeing what was chasing him he would wake up! This time he had his crossbow at the ready. It was loaded, and Ace was moving as fast as he could, but their hunter was close. The dark shadows were closing in, and the road was becoming rockier.

Then - as had happened in so many dreams before - Ace was dead. The image was too much to behold. The body of the horse before him, and the darkness surrounding him yet he couldn’t see the hunter. But there were eyes watching him. Closely, and was poised to strike. Arthfael loaded another arrow to his crossbow …

Arthfael raised his head calmly. He squinted in the light, and watched the forest. He had, had the dream too many times to be startled by what he had seen. In fact, he was convinced, in a way, that it was a sign of his own doom. But so long as he was awake, and so long as he didn’t take too many risks in mountainous areas, he was safe. But what never changed was the queasy feeling he woke up with.

Sitting up he glanced towards Ace. He had left his stallion tied to a tree, within reach of the grass if he became hungry. His steed was alive and well. That was good. Good ol’ Ace, he was the most reliable horse he had ever come across, and bred by his own people. Arthfael smiled it was still light out. Of course the dream had only been a few seconds long, but he felt even less rested than when he started.

Rising from the roots of the tree, he walked over to Ace and patted his neck. Then he untied the reigns. It was time to keep moving. Saddling up, he made his way further down the path towards Rivendell. It would be the resting place between here and Gondor. There was a contract for him there, if he could get there in time to fulfill it.

How unfortunate that he should have only ridden for maybe an hour before he hit a denser part of the wood. The path was harder to see, now, but Ace kept along steadily. Until he stopped. His ears went back, and he puffed air through his nose like a wild animal. “What is it, Ace?” Arthfael asked, dismounting and taking his crossbow from it’s secure pack, and loading it with an arrow.

A foul stench came from somewhere, and Arthfael followed it. Then when he got a fix on it, he recognized the stench of Warg. Following his nose, he quietly came upon a scene he had seen many times. Only, instead of a grown man or woman, it was a little boy, and he caught the end of the Warg’s sentence.

Stepping from the shadows - probably a stupid move - he said camly, “Well now, I’ve lived long enough to see many things, but this is the first time I’ve come across a Warg who knew the tounge of man. It’d be a shame to have to ... ” He searched for the right words, “Make you permanently indisposed” He held the crossbow steady, aiming it at the Warg, “Why don’t you just take a step back from the boy, and we can talk about this, perhaps?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:59:25 AM by Arthfael »

Pellavan

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 04:28:39 PM »
"That was not wise little Elf...that hatchling was to be my snack. Now you will have to suffice"

Pellavan turned slowly from his dismount from the tree at the sound of the words. Even before he spotted out that the they came from a Warg, he could detected the..unnaturalness still wasn't the right word...

Pure evil?

Ill intent at most. Pellavan didn't like to label any creature of Middle Earth as beyond remorse and goodness, but Wargs were a special case, he knew. The fact that it talked would be incredibly fascinating, if a threat against him hadn't been in that.

The Elf child froze against the trunk, not in giving up, but in genuine fear, and as his eyes scanned the creature and his mind raced for a solution. Running was out...his daggers? He tightened his grip on either. Even now, something in him begged he not be the one to injure a creature of Middle Earth, bred of the Darkness or no, but then he hadn’t started this fight, and wouldn’t do anything but defend.

Also she spoke, maybe...

Pellavan’s thoughts were cut off by another voice.

“Well now, I’ve lived long enough to see many things, but this is the first time I’ve come across a Warg who knew the tounge of man. It’d be a shame to have to ...Make you permanently indisposed”

Both Pellavan and Nyx turned towards the sound of the voice.

“Why don’t you just take a step back from the boy, and we can talk about this, perhaps?”

Pellavan's savior said. The young Elf's eyes darted back to the Warg, both because it would do to keep watching her, given her threatening attitude against him, and also curious if she would take to the...request. For his sake, he hoped so.

Nyx snarled further as she spotted the Man to come interfering. "I suppose by your thinking, we're all too stupid to speak anything, Black Speech included? Just meant to be Orc mounts? Well some of us are smarter than that!". For some reason (her own pride probably) Nyx answered the rhetorical wondering over her speech. She paced out a bit, studying the Man, but not letting her focus go from the Elf youth.

She gave a light chuckle, "'Permanently Indisposed', you really think it would be that easy?".

"I think it's...great...that you...speak Westron. D-do you know Sindarin", Pellavan chimed in, nervousness still leaking from his voice, and the move, perhaps rightly so, could be seen as just wanting to save his own skin, and flattering, but genuine awe was also present.

Nyx glanced sharply to him, “Why would I learn something so pointless?”.

Despite the hostility, Pel gave a small chuckle rather than get offended. If they could just keep her talking perhaps...

That, and the Man was right; it was intriguing!

Pellavan took a hesitant step further out, but reminded himself to keep his limbs in, and not stretch out his hand just yet...

"The Man's right...we don't have to be enemies...I'm very much so on the side of all creatures of Middle Earth, talking or no, how...how did you break away from the Orcs?", despite what he'd just reminded himself of, Pellavan started to reach a hand out, but retracted it again as Nyx snapped her jaws in warning. ""Sorry", the Elf child gave a smile.

<<I know keeping it at conversing won't last long, but will try to keep it there as long as I can ^^>>

(#FFF8DC)

Arthfael

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 03:09:11 AM »
Arthfael didn’t let the crossbow dip down. There was no tension eased, but there was a feeling that he probably shouldn’t have interfered. But, he knew better than to leave a kid to the mercy of something about three times his size, and capable of having him for more than just a snack. His eyes flicked to the boy to get a quick assessment. In a second he could tell that the lad wanted to be at ease, but couldn’t seem to get into the proper mood.

Arthfael on the other hand was as calm as could be. The only intrigue was the fact that the Warg could talk. It was the only thing keeping her alive at this very moment. When the Warg attacked his words defensively, he smiled coily. He merely shrugged a shoulder to her in answer. It wasn’t for him to judge whether or not a creature was capable of learning beyond Black Speech. In his opinion, if you could learn one language you could learn whichever one you wanted.

But when the Warg responded to the lad’s question, he tilted his head up, “Now that wasn’t very nice. Sindarin happens to be a nice language.” He tsked, taking a step out of the shadows, carefully keeping his distance. “I’d be greatly interested in your answer, too, I think. Why did you break off from your company?” He paused to see if she would respond, “Or if you don’t want to answer, then you could find yourself a different snack, hm?

Was he as confident as he seemed, this man? Deep down he was a little terrified. He had taken on several Wargs before, but always with someone beside him. A Warg was a two man job, and not one that an Elf so young as this one was capable of handling alone. If worse came to worse … oh boy… 

ooc:: hurts my soul that is so short! D: If you need more, let me know, but I think you're in control of this thread. xD

Tags: ta 2964 arthfael 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: [link] open thread!
    January 14, 2020, 04:33:41 AM
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis
    November 24, 2019, 03:32:06 AM
  • Lothíriel: [link] Eorik as well
    November 12, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
  • Meren: Reply for Faramir (finally after a million years) [link]
    November 12, 2019, 07:33:42 PM
  • Legolas: [link] @Thranduil