Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

* Awards

* Donate

Author Topic: Companionable Talk & Banter  (Read 159 times)

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Companionable Talk & Banter
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »
{Another random night camp some time after the first when Kíli first teased Bilbo work for you?}

They were camped again, and honestly Bilbo was coming to understand why Gandalf had said pocket handkerchiefs wouldn't help him much. Allergies were the least of his worries. Bilbo pulled the blanket a bit tighter about his shoulders. He wasn't laying down trying to sleep this time, or not yet, but rather still sitting up trying to find some warmth that would allow for that later on.

It didn't seem to be working, though. The earlier rain had set in a chill hard to escape, and what fire was burning, off nearer Gandalf and some of the others, was small for safety and of no help back here. Gandalf seemed to always be up and sitting in some corner near them, thinking. Did he ever sleep? Did wizards sleep? He had back at Bagend...Bilbo thought. Honestly he himself had drifted of to Dwarf song so he wasn't fully sure.

These thoughts themselves did little to solve the nagging, large problem, and Bilbo was soon aware of the night air once more! Enough of this! With a sigh, and before Bombur started snoring again, Bilbo stood and paced out a bit from his spot where he'd been sitting. He didn't bring the blanket with him, feeling standing and moving about in the chill night air would relieve its chill some, but would go back for it if it turned out he needed it.

There was a precipice a bit to the side of where they were camped, and it would probably be wise to avoid that, Bilbo did so, walking the perimeter, safely back, but unable to help himself and stepping over to peer a bit, just curious what was below them. More trees it seemed. Turning back from it he made his way further along and soon came across another of the Company seemingly not asleep, though of all of them, Thorin, his nephews and Gandalf were the ones who seemed to stir about the most, as he'd previously noticed. Only the younger prince was visible now.

"Ah, Master Kíli", Bilbo nodded to him, "Shaking off the cold as well?". Probably not, given he seemed more comfortable in this kind of weather than Bilbo (honestly what he wouldn't trade off at that moment for some of the tea back in Bagend!), but it was all he could think to say after his greeting.

(mediumblue)

Kíli

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Ali
Re: Companionable Talk & Banter
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
{ it works perfectly fine, don't worry! }

Kíli wasn't often affected by the cold. Mainly because he wore many layers of clothing. But also because he was just used to it. He often went hunting with his brother at night and learnt to toughen up to the cold. For his Hobbit friend, things were obviously different.

In his gloved hands, Kíli held the talisman his mother gave him. Kíli was reckless. His mother got worried often. So she made sure he had some way of returning to her. She gave one to Fíli and Thorin too. But before the company left, Dís made sure her youngest son had a stern talking to about safety.

The young Dwarf fiddled with his talisman. He threw it in the air and caught it. He’d pass it between his hands. He’d rub his thumb over the engravings of it. He’d even stick it in his mouth and chew on it if he got bored enough. It was a cold night and he was restless. Normally on nights like these he’d sneak about and cause trouble. But he had already done enough as it is.

He noticed Bilbo moving about and quickly made it look like he was asleep. But apparently it didn’t work too well. He sat up and gave the Hobbit a sheepish smile. “Not really. ‘M just not tired, that’s all!”

Hushing his voice, Kli shuffled closer the Bilbo. “If you’re cold, you can borrow my jacket. I won’t mind,” the Dwarf whispered. He quickly tucked his talisman into the pocket of his pants. But he kept his hand on it, rubbing his thumb over the engravings. It became a comforting habit the moment Kíli received it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:00:11 AM by Kíli »

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »
“Not really. ‘M just not tired, that’s all!”

Ah, of course Kíli would be finding the night air much less of a nuisance than Bilbo himself; the Dwarf had no doubt gone out and hunted in this and similar weather all on his own, Bilbo was unknowingly very close to the mark, but still a bit far from it, in that he imagined even this very young Dwarf before him had no doubt killed far more animals than he probably had.

Not that Kíli didn't also exude childish recklessness. Beyond even what Bilbo had been known for as a young Hobbit lad...or being older himself than Bilbo had been it shouldn't be to the proportions it was.

Bilbo was just trying to ponder an answer to what the youngest prince said, when Kíli went on.

“If you’re cold, you can borrow my jacket. I won’t mind,”

"Oh, no, Thankyou, but I...", Bilbo for some reason (probably abashed shame at being useless!) shunted away the offer, his good breeding saying he shouldn't, yet he rubbed at his arms yet again. And this was not the last scone at a tea time he shunted off. Bilbo let out a plume of smoke from the night air in a sort of a sigh, "I'm just not used to it is all...but then I know that doesn't surprise you", there was just soft acceptance in the words and Bilbo next turned to regard Kíli, a question visible in his eyes, but one he next let go and with a smile sat near where the prince was, but not so as to intrude on his space.

"No, I won't ask how you betted on if your Company's unlikely Burglar would show up, I think I know", Bilbo gave Kíli another smile to show he was also not upset if the Dwarf had betted against him. He'd have bet against himself too! "What is Gandalf thinking...", the words were said to himself, as Bilbo shook his head and glanced to the sky up above, but said aloud also.

(mediumblue)

Kíli

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:24:14 AM »
Kíli frowned slightly at the turn-down of his offer. He could tell Bilbo was cold, so he took off his coat and gave it to the Hobbit anyways. Sharing is caring, you know. And Kíli shared all of his possessions with Fíli anyways.

"I'm just not used to it is all... but then I know that doesn't surprise you."

The Dwarf prince chuckled softly. "No, it doesn't, but I can at least make it a bit more bearable for you. We don't want our Burglar getting sick now, do we?" Kíli offered a toothy grin as a way to comfort Bilbo. He sympathised for the Hobbit, truly.

"No, I won't ask how you betted on if your Company's unlikely Burglar would show up, I think I know"

Kíli offered another smile. "I think you'd be happy to know, master Baggins, that I said you'd come along. I gave my money to Thorin, though. It'd be better with him than me." He hummed a bit, nodding slightly at his words.

"Gandalf has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. We could've easily gotten another Dwarf to be our Burglar but... I think Gandalf saw that... you needed an Adventure! Yeah, the conditions aren't the best but... it's a lot more fun than staying at home. That's what I think, anyway."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:00:58 AM by Kíli »

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »
The Dwarf prince of course saw through Bilbo's attempt at refusing, since the Hobbit's own coat was still too soaked to do any good, and therefore he had to be lying at least a bit. Kíli took off and offered his coat anyway and with a grateful smile Bilbo wrapped it around and held it close about him, "Thankyou Kíli".

"No, it doesn't, but I can at least make it a bit more bearable for you. We don't want our Burglar getting sick now, do we?"

Bilbo gave his own weak smile back to the one the Dwarf Prince offered him. He had, as stated, only been throwing rhetorically at the subject of the bet on whether or not he would show up that had apparently been going on before he arrived from Bagend and before the Company set out, Bilbo didn't really expect an answer, but Kíli gave one anyway.

"I think you'd be happy to know, master Baggins, that I said you'd come along. I gave my money to Thorin, though. It'd be better with him than me."

Of course he tried to hide it behind his jests, but it didn't diminish the gesture any.

"Gandalf has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. We could've easily gotten another Dwarf to be our Burglar but... I think Gandalf saw that... you needed an Adventure! Yeah, the conditions aren't the best but... it's a lot more fun than staying at home. That's what I think, anyway."

Yes, and because he'd botched that first meeting (or rather re-meeting since childhood) and insulted the Wizard

Yet this was also the Dwarf who thought a glory box a doormat. Bilbo didn't truly mean that thought, and had seen evidence of the young Dwarf's good qualities, this moment included, "And because something in my smell is apparently new". Bilbo wasn't sure how far he believed this reason of Gandalf's though. And if Hobbits were not familiar to Dragons, there was a reason for it!

He gave his classic grimace of unspoken thoughts (not bad) at Kíli saying it was more fun. To the Dwarf Prince perhaps. "It's been different, that's for sure" he stated cautiously but not bitterly and even smiled. "Now let's just hope I survive to confront a dragon and be turned to a pile of ash...unless your uncle finally has it and tosses me from a cliff first".

It was a jest, nothing but a jest, but still Bilbo didn't know that this would almost happen to him far down the road and when his cooperation with this Quest had taken a more real form.

(mediumblue)

Kíli

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »
Kíli put his hands on the ground to support him as he leaned backwards slightly. He closed his eyes and listened to the Hobbit’s words. He could sort of sympathize with Bilbo. Kíli was the baby of the group, and wasn’t taken on big Adventures like these very often.

The Dwarf hadn’t heard many tales of Smaug, but he knew that he wasn’t the most cooperative creature. Most Dragons were quite grumpy, to be fair. And Smaug was definitely not a happy camper. Not from what Kíli’s heard, anyway.

“My uncle would never do such a thing! Well... maybe he would. He would if Gandalf wasn’t with us. Otherwise you wouldn’t have come along at all....”

Kíli bit his tongue and thought on his words for a minute. He didn’t want to put the Hobbit off, in case his words did so. The Dwarf is trying to be helpful. But sometimes his words just don’t come out very right.

“But the dragon and Thorin are the least of your troubles. Just... think of where you are now. Worry about the dragon when we get to the mountain. And you’ll know when to worry about Thorin.”

A comforting smile was offered in attempts to show that he cared. Friends were very important to Kíli. As they were important to Fíli, and most other Dwarves. Most. Not all Dwarves were social. But the sons of Dís certainly were. And Kíli valued his friends very much. This certainly included Bilbo.

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »
Bilbo should have expected the grand defense in all fairness, and even if it seemed Kíli still got that he was mostly jesting. Yet even the youngest of the Dwarves then admitted to the grain of truth to that. So long as Gandalf was there to stop him. Yes, probably true. Though, again, Bilbo hardly expected anything of the like to happen, and not in the way it later would. Just from annoyance of dealing with him.

"Yes, we must make sure not to lose our Wizard as well". Though who would ever stop him from going about his business, Bilbo didn't know.

He wasn't any more put out by the words than he had been by all of everything leading up to this moment, but still, Kíli seemed to give his next some thought before going on. With very true words indeed, if Bilbo was honest, and surprisingly wise for one so young.

But then young Dwarves still had more years behind them than even Hobbits in relative comparing of ages.

"Yes, that is very true, I'm liable to be too nervous to do anything if I worry about it too early. Thankyou Young Master Kíli, I can see why Thorin brought you along". Some turn about for the compliments paid his way was in order.

Bilbo settled further back against the outcropping*, becoming more aware of of Kíli's coat as he did. "your kin make good coats, and cloth", he commented, though it felt like a useless statement. "Not that...we don't have similar in the Shire, and that my coat wasn't the best I could grab, and very nice when not wet...", he would not be needing to borrow Kíli's all the time, "...but...they're hardly made for treks like this one".

Not that he was fully criticizing this trek...

{*Where I imagine they are anyway, against some rock ^^
And I added!}
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:28:39 AM by Bilbo Baggins »

(mediumblue)

Kíli

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 03:22:29 AM »
{ i might need a bit more, but this should be enough for now! }

Kíli chuckled, shaking his head as he smiled at the ground. Gandalf was an odd man. He did whatever he wanted. And nobody could say otherwise. He was a confusing man, too. He'd be leading a company one minute and following behind the next.

"We won't lose him, that's for sure. But there is a possibility that he may lose us." Kíli frowned a bit. He looked over to Bilbo. "He's quite unpredictable, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He always does."

The Dwarf grinned at the Hobbit. He spoke the truth. The wizard was very secretive, but he did know what he was doing. And so did Kíli. Most of the time, with some guidance.

"Yes, that is very true, I'm liable to be too nervous to do anything if I worry about it too early. Thankyou Young Master Kíli, I can see why Thorin brought you along"

Kíli chuckled at that, but covered his mouth so that he wouldn't wake anyone else up. "I am Thorin's sister-son. I would like to see Erebor for myself, you know? It could be mine someday."

He hummed in thought. He had only heard of Erebor in the tales Thorin would tell him and Fíli before bed. Tales of piles of gold and endless mines. Kíli had no hesitation in joining the company to take back the mountain. Thorin was going. Fíli was going. And so were so many other Dwarves. And Gandalf! And a Hobbit. It was all so exciting to Kíli, even though he almost died already.

The young Dwarrow chuckled quietly and let Bilbo ramble for a bit. It was rather entertaining. "Hobbits never were the type to go on Adventures, were they?" Kíli gave Bilbo a knowing smile. Gandalf was right. This journey was certainly the most amusing trip now that the Hobbit had joined them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:13:35 AM by Kíli »

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:54:01 PM »
"He's quite unpredictable, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He always does."

Kíli said, next grinning. Bilbo had to chuckle, yes that the wizard did! The words brought the oddest recollection back to Bilbo; the one Gandalf himself had all but alluded to when recruiting him. He could remember more clearly now being a young Hobbit lad convinced he'd met a wizard at one of Old Took's parties. Appreciative of the fireworks and all...but more interested in the wizard himself!

The same lad that had then gone searching for said wizard next day until late.

Then Bilbo had started caring what his Hobbit neighbors thought, started caring about making a good impression, especially after being left Bagend. Not a bad thing, but he'd gone overboard with it somehow until...he was, as Gandalf 'accused' "changed, not for the better".

He also had not let his pondering get in the way of listening to what Kíli said.

I am Thorin's sister-son. I would like to see Erebor for myself, you know? It could be mine someday."

Bilbo smiled. "Yes, I think I detected your resolved even from early on back in my house.", he meant nothing but good by the statement. Kíli and Ori; the two most talkative young Dwarves even by what Bilbo could tell of Dwarf ages. Though they had still sounded better prepared than Bilbo himself for this escapade!

"Hobbits never were the type to go on Adventures, were they?"

"Oh, not at all, it's frowned upon in fact, leaving one's home and...being late for dinner. Hobbit lads get away with it...until they're older and should know better...and my mother's side, the Tooks are known to go...do odd things and explore. As are the Brandybucks, but they live near the boarder, nearer the Old Forest and Bree, you probably passed the Brandybuck's large estate on your own way way and probably even then may not have seen it, generations have lived there without having moving out. Another odd trait", Bilbo tried to explain.

He fell silent a bit, then went on, "I was...the sort of Hobbit lad said to take after my mother, when I was younger, chasing fireflies and...Elves in the woods...I even poked at Gandalf when he came to one of our parties, and knew for certain then he was a Wizard and not just a fireworks maker...then somewhere along the way I lost it when I grew up...which may be why he pulled me along".

(mediumblue)

Tags: kíli bilbo baggins