Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: A Favor Turned Odd  (Read 481 times)

Anlaf

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
A Favor Turned Odd
« on: August 29, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
"Oh Mr. Errol, there's a young man asked to see you, at your convenience Sir", the receptionist for the Newspaper informed him on his way in and past.

Pausing, utterly thrown (few ever came to or asked for him, and if they did it was just the necessity of him being the only Legal Consultant for the paper) Alvin looked puzzled, and stood a bit straighter, as if this young man were here and he had to make an impression. He wasn't of course, hence the note.

"Oh? Have you any idea why?". Not that it really mattered. This could be another chance at having an actual business or such! At any rate, best see what the lad wanted, though he had no idea exactly how young the receptionist meant.

"That's fine, um, see if tomorrow at two would work", still a bit thrown by the unexpectedness of all this, Alvin still tried to be professional and come up with professional answers and time-frames, as if he were used to being consulted by other client than those who just came by his convenient cage.

He then went up to his office and his desk, still with little to do this day, he was just here as an accessory of the newspaper, yet he saw to it that things looked a bit tidy and the plant wasn't dying. Best look like a lawyer tomorrow.

<>

The next day at two, as he came down to greet the young man, he found that young did seem very much so to fit! Was he even over sixteen, Alvin had to wonder as he walked over, trying not to show too much of his thoughts. He gave a small smile as the lad turned to him, "Well, Mr...um...Anders?", he recalled the name (and Mister-ing even a kid was just polite) and nodded the young man's way, a hand coming over to shake.

It fit him somehow, Alvin decided, the last name...got from his father, and he seems the kind of lad any father could be proud of.

A bit hasty a first impression of course, "You, um, seem a bit young to need a lawyer", he smiled again, trying for a slight jest, then cleared his throat and wondered at that, "Come...come on up, ask your questions...um, this way". Alvin was very very unused to having clients!

Once at the office, he motioned the lad to a chair. "Can I have our poor intern get you anything? Coffee...", not likely something in Alvin said, and probably made his filter let out the next... "Juice...ah, I mean...tea", Alvin shuffled papers.

Don't go insulting off your first client, Alvin!

Another throat clear. "So, what brings you by Mr. Anders?", it was too soon for Fritz, though something in Alvin felt that would have come out easier somehow.

Sig by wonderful Rah <3
(darkred)

Fritz

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Re: A Favor Turned Odd
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:11:37 PM »
Alright Fritz, this is for Lindsay, and you're not sneaking in the back again, the young bank aid reminded himself. He'd called ahead, arranged, everything for a legitimate meeting. This was not like when he'd snuck into Doyle's place and been found by Auster.

Until you grab the papers and run for the door, if you see them! Then it'll be just like.

No...Fritz would not be doing that, he told himself. He didn't know what then he would be doing, talking this Mr. Errol into letting him see or have the papers? Just for Lindsay's sake and the dead-beat client he'd dropped for probably very good reason?

Coming with something like his purpose and asking to see the man at his convenience and Fritz's own had taken courage enough, and now he sat in a main room and foyer of the News Plant awaiting the legal consultant and not able to focus on the paper in front of him he'd picked up for all these thoughts going through his head.

He tried yet again to focus on something of the words, and destress. It was a sort of an advice column that Miss Cauilfeld, who was so eccentric everyone had at least heard of her, had written and Fritz gave a glance over this raved about advice.

A young girl was asking the best way to get back her guy or some such and Fritz shook his head over the thoroughly feminine advice that condemned the poor guy who'd no doubt been trying, but in that Not Enough way the way women saw it.

Thankfully the women Fritz could tick off as knowing, Miss Rosental and Lindsay, were more...logical than this poor girl and fussy old Miss Caulfield.

Fritz had been waiting on the woman who ran the front to tell him to go on up, he knew how businesses worked, but also quickly understood the personal touch in Mr. Errol coming down to him from his office, as a door opening showed the man.

Fritz quickly stood, and waited on Mr. Errol's clues of how to proceed. A hand was held out which he shook.

"You, um, seem a bit young to need a lawyer"

Mr. Errol said, but jesting, Fritz could tell. Still, given how nervous he was being here, his smile back was unsure. He almost went on to answering then and there, but Mr. Errol motioned him up to his office, and with a nod Fritz followed.

He already liked this Mr. Errol, Fritz felt, or else he was trying to make himself think such to aid his purposes here, yet a new pressure of hoping he didn't mess this up so as to upset the man was added to the rest of Fritz's pressures.

He wanted to make a good impression.

Once at the office, Fritz took the seat Mr. Errol offered. "Can I have our poor intern get you anything? Coffee...Juice...ah, I mean...tea"

He seemed to shuffle over his middle request same as he shuffled his papers. It didn't seem an intended jab, and somehow Fritz couldn't be insulted. Some...somehow if anyone had a right to say such, he had to give it to this man.... More of a feel.

Still, Fritz got to answering, "Um, no Sir, I, um, I work as an assistant, a bit over an intern, at MBG, the bank, and...I'd feel bad for your poor intern. I'm fine", Fritz then gave a more normal smile, showing his own slight jesting.

"So, what brings you by Mr. Anders?"

Two things happened at once, as Fritz was finding his answer, one was the very very strong feeling that he had to tell, straight out, why he was here, no beating around the bush, and yet, a pause and Fritz could work through this feeling. It didn't leave, but rather remained, in the back of the conversation, the...challenge avoided.

All this made sense, Fritz supposed, given his trying to find answers for Lindsay same moment he covered for her, but...it fit more dodging around why you came home muddy to your parents. With that one parent you could dodge around with.

The fess-up got stronger still though, when Fritz looked square into that face, and didn't want this man to label him bad somehow. Similar to trying to defend himself to Thomas Auster, but more severe.

"I...I was just wondering...", Fritz tried to think through his words before and as he said them, "I'm not in any...trouble myself you understand, but...well, odd things come up in Banking", Fritz gave a smile he hoped made this sound plausible, much as it was and not a lie, but not why he was here...

"How far back do you usually have to keep papers? A client is afraid he made a mistake losing some...Eighteen years back", this was still a very odd thing to do all for a client Fritz realized...

"I'd like to dabble at knowing this stuff myself, so we at the bank don't need a lawyer, or for the small stuff", Fritz went on. There, that sounded nice and plausible...

(olivedrab)

Anlaf

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:53 AM »
Mr. Anders declined the offer of refreshments, stating he himself was an intern and so couldn't have theirs run about. He was just jesting back, Alvin could tell off his smile. The older man smiled back...and for some reason wondered how Fritz Anders' boss treated him.

An odd worry. It wasn't really his business.

Alvin refrained from shuffling his papers again distractedly and to cover yet more odd thoughts and feelings. He also couldn't let the lad's words stand fully and motioned to one of the editors even as he passed. Not for something of his own but with something for his current client, Alvin found unabashed command and politely but firmly shuffled the duty to him with just two or three points and a head gesture that clearly indicated being sent to for amenities.

The editor frowned, almost stated his more important things, but was then down the hall to comply. He would be telling higher ups of Mr. Errol's audacity, but had learned when last he tangled with him. It had been over Liz Caulfield's article that was deemed not worth publishing. Not that one. Thing is she never found out it almost wasn't because Alvin Errol had marched down to the small meeting over it and not left until he'd made them reverse the decision.

This same rarely utilized resolve soon saw Mr. Anders at least provided a glass of water in absence of nothing at all.

Around this interaction, Alvin leaned on his desk slightly and listened as the young man got to his purpose here, nodding here and there (returning the small smile) and trying to absorb it.

Eighteen years...that was almost...

Alvin almost stumbled unknown on the whole reason Mr. Anders was here, yet he pushed the almost thought aside.

The legal consultant smiled once the lad was finished, "Well no, I wouldn't say that was a problem unless there was something in that year or around of interest, but if this client is just concerned about a general span, the typical seven years is overkill" Alvin answered, nodding again to what the lad said on knowing some legal stuff, "Very admirable of you, and while I feel I should encourage you to find an actual lawyer...not for my sake you understand...", he smiled, "but just in general a good idea, you seem a likely lad and I'm sure MBG is lucky to have you", but lest he sound he was buttering up...

Alvin sat back and debated asking if there was anything else he could aid with, but waited out his young client's next statement or question.

Sig by wonderful Rah <3
(darkred)

Fritz

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
His refusal of refreshment wasn’t allowed to stand, and Fritz watched the subsequent 'argument' and back and forth, that silent or not, still took place. Mr. Errol won, of course, and though Fritz didn't know all of the set up of how this Newsplant worked, and Mr. Errol's place in it, he caught that he had been privileged a rare used thing.

But why him?

It almost made Fritz halt his words, but it was over so quickly and the young Bank Aid just went on with explaining to Mr. Errol's attentive gaze.

"Well no, I wouldn't say that was a problem unless there was something in that year or around of interest, but if this client is just concerned about a general span, the typical seven years is overkill", Mr. Errol answered. Fritz nodded again. Unless there was something of interest. Fess up!

Nodding again, Fritz only just held on to the urge of answering the question that had to be in the back of Mr. Errol's mind! He had to be wondering just what all of this was about! He could have just called for that!

"Very admirable of you, and while I feel I should encourage you to find an actual lawyer...not for my sake you understand, but just in general a good idea, you seem a likely lad and I'm sure MBG is lucky to have you".

That made it worse! Fritz smiled again, trying to find his answer. He glanced down to the man's own coffee cup, then back up. "T-thank you, Sir, I...I do try, and don't worry, I wouldn't have thought...it was just a ploy", he grinned. The other employee, or whoever he was, who had been sent came back with the water, and Fritz took it with a grateful smile and nod. "Thank you".

"Not a problem at all", the man lied, even Fritz knew it was a lie, as he then glanced back to Mr. Errol with a slightly annoyed look before leaving.

Fritz pondered what it was he had been trying to say before, taking a sip of water to aid with that. He faced Mr. Errol again, his hands fiddling a bit. He had no more fake answers or conversation bits, they were slowly leaving him with every exchange. "The...the thing is, Sir", he began, "I'm...not...just here for hypothetical questions". He set the cup to a side table. "I know Lindsay Sayers. I don't know her father, but...he...well maybe I should pause before incriminating, but...I can already tell he's no good. I...I heard you used to be his lawyer and I thought...well, Sir...", Fritz wasn't sure what he was trying to say now...

He should make sure Mr. Errol knew he wasn't blaming! But that was just one more problem in the midst of trying to sound coherent! And he was now firmly throwing any chance at getting the papers out the window! Unless...even fake papers, maybe this was good, maybe Mr. Errol could help. Lindsay needed someone's help, someone better than him.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:22:37 PM by Fritz »

(olivedrab)

Tags: fritz anders