• Nienna: OOOOOOOO~! GARD MAKIN' AN ELF
    August 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM
  • Gard: But yay success!
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:24 PM
  • Gard: Been there Hades :D
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
  • Gard: Aww
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:13 PM
  • Hades: So, how about I forgot that I changed my password... xD I've been trying to get in for the last twenty minutes.
    August 11, 2019, 12:18:29 AM
  • Eofor: Hi
    August 04, 2019, 06:46:46 PM
  • Icewolf: Does anyone play lotro? Had a bit of a rough night so I'm taking my loremaster around the farms of Oakbarton for the morning. I don't have the concentration for writing today.
    July 30, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
  • Hades: Goodness... okay. I hate this muse. XD It only works when it wants o.
    July 25, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
  • Icewolf: Hi.
    July 24, 2019, 11:36:35 PM
  • Dís: Eeeeeh hi again Icewolf!
    July 22, 2019, 11:13:41 PM
  • Nienna: Glad to see people posting!
    July 12, 2019, 03:20:14 AM
  • Gard: Hey Jo! Imma say Discord! <3
    June 09, 2019, 03:18:45 AM
  • Jo: Gard, if you're around to see this, but where is the best place to hit you up for plotting in-depth? Discord, Skype, the chatbox?
    June 09, 2019, 03:02:03 AM
  • thatguy2: yeah
    May 14, 2019, 04:32:36 AM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 107
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Forum Staff

Ulmo admin Ulmo
Administrator
Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: Another Bird in the Hand  (Read 1514 times)

Harper

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Another Bird in the Hand
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:49:25 AM »
Warm buttered bread was probably one of the best things in the world! That and sweets! The latter were harder to acquire at times, or when Harper was 'playing the Nomad' and not staying, even for a while, in a place or village. The skin-changer was in the process of finding a new place, though at the same time not sure how stable even that would be.

Her options just seemed to be slimming.

The lands West, and Gondor and Rohan, were slowly being invaded by a something that set Bird and Animal sense on edge...

Even Harper didn't know by what, that required being in touch with a Wizard or Elves, and one could hardly find either!

Oh sure there were still cities, and a slightly large Hawk had spent some time eavesdropping around Rivendell, but Elves (and especially those!) had this uncanny habit of knowing of a living being nearby and she was afraid of drawing attention even in a nearby tree.

That had been a little while back, and Harper had backtracked a bit since then, not stopping on her next fly by and now very near the Dwarven Kingdom of Ered Luin.

She only hoped a Dwarf wouldn't take it in his head to shoot at her in her hawk form. Yet she tried to not think they all would, in fact last time she'd tussled a bit with a falconry hawk let loose who took issue with her presence. She'd easily won and sent it back proverbial tail tucked (literal made for bad flying) yet even from her height she could tell it went back to a Dwarf (gender and much else hard to tell from her distance) and had been intrigued.

Maybe that was why she was back, maybe just the avoidance of the West for a bit, probably both. The bread had been purchased in Bree, and so if not as warm as it could have been, the other one had been! And this one was still soft enough, Harper having made hawk's time of the distance with her vitals and provisions. It had taken searching to find a pack light and not cumbersome enough for carrying with her.

The way her parents had viewed their status and taught her, she was a human with a useful talent (and stomach for vermin), not an animal foremost as some skin-changers saw themselves...she'd been told. She'd yet to meet another, and even her parents had been unsure the numbers.

With bread gone, and sticky hands, Harper caught movement just ahead of her, through 'sense' and slight sound. She debated changing...but crept forward on legs and slight hands and knees first. If someone could already see her, changing would be risky and if she had to run, she could find a time to.

The first thing she saw was a very small child...no...Dwarfling! Not the falconer she decided, he looked to young and small even if not tiny. This would have held enough of Harper's attention (she hardly saw Dwarves up close let alone a younger one than her relative age!), but her heightened senses also caught the owl very very close. Hmm...odd...birds of that kind usually didn't display such boldness...unless! A hope Harper told herself was silly clutched at her. She continued to watch both Dwarfling and owl, wanting to step out and speak to them already, but knowing that would be a bit bold and startling; and she'd have to explain what she, a still young human girl, was doing out here alone, though it was plausible to say she'd come from Bree, and her current clothes led more credence to that.

Not without more evidence to justify the risk...

{I wanna say she saw either Kophas or Anlis out there with the mention of spotting a falconer, but up to both of you, and have Avila take it as you will Hades! All out confrontation and finding is alright as is not noticing her yet :D}

(gainsboro)

Friór

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Re: Another Bird in the Hand
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 12:52:07 AM »
A talking owl was a strange companion, or so some would no doubt tell Friór. Not that he made a point of blabbing about his friend to many Dwarves or even others. Friór wasn't much of a blabber either way, and also talking animals were something you had to keep secure and sort of secret, the lad knew. Too many knew about them and it wasn't safe for them.

Of course...he could then also hardly ever keep anything from his family, so some of them knew. His parents foremost. Some of his uncles...Aunt Dags had guessed something in his shining eyes even that first meeting and now knew, so Tuuli did too. He needed to tell his older cousins and especially 'Lis!

But all of this was not the lad's concern as he wandered yet again the lands closer to home and just outside the Blue Mountains, thusly he was allowed to be a bit unsupervised. He'd told his father that 'the owl would look out for him'; he used her name but that was how Fritz had heard it, and the smith said he would bring it up with Kophas if a bird could be that all around effective a guard, but he was teasing...probably.

Unbeknownst to him, he and Avila would have a harder secret to decide what to do with...

Friór was already learning a lot of things about his owl companion, and all of them sort of justifications for her being a good Adventuring Companion. Mainly because even when outside Friór didn't 'adventure' all that much. He safely explored and peeked into things here or there but wouldn't have gone so far into some of the unknown caverns as Avila flew straight into, and the lad then having to follow her.

She also chattered, a lot, and it seemed to make up for Friór not. He'd smile, give brief answers that still fully took in and commented to what she said, and give her the space and patience to go on yet again.

There weren't caves today, yet, and currently Friór was investigating different rocks along the ground.  Just for whatever purpose, and if he found some that fit a purpose. Despite his sketches and work at making things in and on wood, Friór wasn't artistic (he would say) like his Aunt Dags, but he knew she could do a lot with paper weights, so if he found one of the proper smoothness and weight he'd take one to her.

Or rocks for sparks and flint, or whetting stones. Like his father (both parents really) Friór wasn't taken in by gems, but he knew the use of rocks as any Dwarf should.

Finding one, still mostly rounded, but a bit misshapen at the top, the lad grinned and held it back behind him, "Hey Avila! If I carve this right, I could make it look like you!. Friór didn't know if he could carve on rock, if he and his tools had the skill, and he didn't mean his words meanly or even a bit teasing, as other boys would have, it was genuine and an idea for a very nice thing, if experiment and still sort of playing at what he could and couldn't do.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:54:47 PM by Friór »

Wonderful sig made by Cass ~

(aquamarine)

Avila

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »

Avila was pleased to know that she had found someone she could adventure with! That other person being Frior. A Dwarf of great talent and esteem! But, perhaps he was giving him too much credit. She didn’t really know. She hadn’t really met that family of his, but from the stories the lad told, they would have been delightful to really get to know. The Owl often stayed outside, preferring the trees to roost in during some parts of the day, and to prowl around during some parts of the night. Her own sleeping schedule was constantly out of whack. How other animals could handle being out during the day was a mystery to her.

When it came to adventuring, however, and with her little Dwarvish friend, she didn’t mind quite so much (the loss of sleep that is) and today was one of those days. Avila’s energy was boundless regardless! It was early afternoon (?) when she met Frior for another one of their adventures into the woods. Today, they would be close to one of the little villages. She smiled a little (or as much as a bird could smile, or indicate that they were smiling, or indeed felt happy) as she watched Frior wander about. It was her job to keep him safe, despite what she figured the others had probably said about her. No, she would never let anything purposefully harm Frior if she could help it!

Hey Avila! If I carve this right, I could make it look like you!” Frior called. She spread her wings and floated over to take a look at what he was talking about. In his hand was a fair sized rock, a bit misshapen. “Make it look like me? That would be amazing!” Really, to have something that looked like her was very flattering, if Frior meant it as a joke, it probably went over head. She was about to say more when she thought she heard something crunch lightly under soft feet. She swiveled her head around, but could see nothing. “Are you sure you can even fashion rock? Like, I know that Dwarves can do all stuff, but I thought it took many, many years! Perhaps we could ask one of your Uncles to show us how? Oh! Perhaps could look in of the near by caves for more, larger rocks to carve bigger things out of! Perhaps an ugly troll, or even one of those boar things I’ve seen running around...

It never really occurred to her that there were some limitations to what she herself could do, but that aside, she couldn’t get rid of the slightly annoying feeling of being watched...

played by: Hades

Friór

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
Friór was well aware Avila changed up her sleep schedule in order to adventure and be out with him, and the young Dwarf, still counting as a Dwarfling or atleast if his mother had her way, but in those early stages of adolescence, was very grateful for it. And humbled. He must be not half bad to hang around if she did such.

Still, he tried to not take up too much of her day and sleeping, or especially now that he was older and given more freedoms, meet a bit closer twilight, though he still couldn't quite do that if they were going far. Things wandered at night that owls had more luck avoiding than young Dwarves, and ever more increasingly it seemed. Of course he knew Avila kept an eye out for him, as he did her, but perhaps didn't guess quite the extent she did.

It was still midday now and Avila seemed able to adapt, but still Friór tried to be considerate. Gave too much worry to it at times perhaps. Avila seemed to take his comment in the best light, as he had meant it, and expressed interest and even excitement over the prospect. Friór smiled, glad she liked the idea, and decided he would try if Avila would like it.

Are you sure you can even fashion rock? Like, I know that Dwarves can do all stuff, but I thought it took many, many years! Perhaps we could ask one of your Uncles to show us how? Oh! Perhaps could look in of the near by caves for more, larger rocks to carve bigger things out of! Perhaps an ugly troll, or even one of those boar things I’ve seen running around...

Friór knew his friend didn't mean her comment to criticize him, just ask after the methods and likelihood the rock would yield under his chisels. Well, his wood carving chisels maybe not, he'd have to borrow some of his father's tools perhaps and knew this wouldn't be a problem. Fritz would happily loan them to then see what his son came up with. Arguably he overthought Friór's skills at times perhaps, as father's tended to do.

Aunts and Uncles too, since Friór's believed in him also. So Avila had a point in that any of his uncles who knew would be happy to show him. "Yeah, we probably could!", the young Dwarf agreed, to all of it! He had been around Avila enough that hopefully she caught this from his being brief. He tossed and readjusted the rock in his grip, thinking. Yep, this was a good idea for a good plan.

"I'll ask one of them, or even my father tomorrow". Even though Friór wasn't rambling exactly yet, he got the feeling he was talking while Avila's attention was elsewhere, as arguably happened at times with her, just in her chatter, and though he paid full attention to her when she spoke of course. It was just one didn't always have control and couldn't always with how Avila chatted at times. Again, to no annoyance to Friór and he liked listening to her.

She was also a good traveling companion in that she would at times notice things, with her bird senses, that he did not and alert him prior. That seemed to be what was happening now, and Friór turned his own attention to listening also as Avila seemed to sense something. But what could it be? Nothing seemed amiss, and Avila didn't seem worried yet, as Friór had learned to read her also.

(aquamarine)

Harper

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
Harper kept her gaze trained towards the two even as the young dwarfling picked up a rock and held it out to the bird, an action one would only know was connected by his further words to the owl. She didn't catch all of them from her spot, but enough to tell that this was the set up. Somehow the owl's own words carried farther! Probably from the pitch of excitement.

Her hope was instantly dashed, Skin-Changer's couldn't talk in their animal forms (unless one had learned how! No...if her parents hadn't known how it wasn't possible) but oddly Harper hardly cared! So it was just a talking bird?! How? Harper glanced between the two again even as they continued their discussion. The owl then swiveled her attention, if not her whole head, towards her, Harper could tell. She could already tell something was up, and quite understandable at that. Birds didn't let things almost creep up on them without having some inkling. She should reveal herself, Harper realized. In truth, had already been considering it, but now...realized further observation was going to prove futile anyway.

So slowly, so as to not burst upon them, she stepped out, "Um...sorry...if I startled anyone, I...was just passing through and...thought I heard voices, so...in being cautious myself wanted to see who it was first". She realized the position she sat in now, having discovered a secret of sorts, and with both of them not knowing she had one herself and so was trustworthy with them, "I...don't worry, I won't tell the owl talks". She gave a small smile. Still unsure, having just sprung upon them like this. It passed through her head to ask if the dwarfling had trained her, but then Harper realized how rude of a question that was (even if she wouldn't mean it so) and so didn't.

(gainsboro)

Avila

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 04:06:42 AM »
Avila hadn’t taken any notice of the falcon. She never really paid attention to birds that were fellow birds-of-prey. Frior was still handling the rock, and she wasn’t aware that her words might cause him to have an emotional reaction. But, from what she knew of him so far, he wasn’t one to act out emotionally. At least not that she had witnessed. Which was fine. Her previous Elvish companion always acted out emotionally, which she guessed had rubbed on her. You became a lot like the people you surround yourself with.

She hoped that some of Frior’s ability to contain his emotions, and think things through before he reacted would rub off.

Unfortunately that would take some time. Avila turned her head in a one-eighty (180) to look into the trees behind them. Something wasn’t quite right, and a nagging feeling that they weren’t exactly alone. And when her orange gaze swept the middle of the trees, she didn’t notice anything unusual, so she focused her attention closer to the ground.

A girl came creeping out of the woods. She was rather tan, and definitely not a Dwarf. Her eyes widened in surprise. She turned her head around to look at Frior, and then turned back to the girl. She spoke as she came closer. Saying she wouldn’t give away ‘their secret’ that she could talk, and amusement lit up in her eyes. She turned to Frior.

For once, she was speechless.

[ooc: I forgot where we were taking this, but I think I'll let you lead the way...]

played by: Hades

Friór

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »
<<I split it up again just 'cause ^^>>

Avila was...tense, Friór supposed was the word he would use for it. He was slowly learning his own things off being around the Owl. Uncle Kophas and Anlis both dealt with hawks, and so he had a small window into bird behavior, but couldn't say he understood it as fully as they did. Still he noticed enough to know that when she turned her attention she wasn't just ignoring him, she'd noticed something. He glanced that way himself, wondering what it could be, but didn't have to do such long!

"Um...sorry...if I startled anyone, I...was just passing through and...thought I heard voices, so...in being cautious myself wanted to see who it was first", the girl, a member of the Race of Men, said! Friór was beyond startled to just see her there and blinked. His capacity for being thrown for a loop was slowly being helped to lessen by things like having had a female of Men guard a caravan of Master Kargach's just last year, and meeting Avila, so he didn't stare at least.

"Oh...uh...makes sense", he started with and as he came to terms, slowly rising from where he'd been crouched showing Avila the rock. She'd just been passing through? From where? Bree? But...that was still a day or two's journey, Friór would have been less surprised to be startled by a Hobbit, though he hadn't met one of those yet.

"Sorry", he found his manners around being surprised, and smiled, stepping up, extending a hand, "Friór...uh, at Your Service if you need anything". She probably didn't (or maybe she was lost and did!) but it was polite all the same to offer.

Then her next words about not telling about catching Avila talk registered. Friór glanced back to his friend and then the newcomer. "Some of my family knows but...yeah not many, and I don't think a lot should so...thanks, but...it's alright", Friór gave a smile. Well that was really for Avila to decide perhaps....

The girl having already shook his hand, Friór next held out his arm to invite Avila over and let her perch, if she wanted to, before glancing back to the girl, "Do you...live around here? In Bree?", he asked, his voice only showing curiosity.

(aquamarine)

Harper

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 11:29:50 PM »
The Dwarfling slowly stood, his words and tone showing he was startled to see her there. No surprise. For his, and the Owl's, sake, Harper stayed still and let him come closer, until she was sure if they accepted her explanation and confessing sort of promise. The Dwarfling quickly seemed to snap out of it, though, and smiled more easily, extending a hand to shake. Harper took it forthwith, smiling at ease herself as she was given a name!

"Pleasure to meet you, Friór! I'm Harper!", she glanced to the Owl to include her in this introduction of her own name as well, "And you Miss!", before smiling at his other words! "No, I'm good for the moment, but thank-you!". It would have no doubt been less suspicious to pretend she was lost, she knew it was very odd for her to be wandering the wilds alone.

As proven when Friór went on to ask if she lived around here, and guess Bree as likely. "Um, no...", Harper admitted, and decided she owed them both some truth for some of the truth she had on them, "I came from Bree, but...don't live there no, and have just been...wandering since...my parent's deaths".

She didn't state how long that had been...and since before either of them were born, perhaps, though she realized she didn't know anything on Dwarf ages.

(gainsboro)

Tags: ta 3019 avila frior 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis
    November 24, 2019, 03:32:06 AM
  • Lothíriel: [link] Eorik as well
    November 12, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
  • Meren: Reply for Faramir (finally after a million years) [link]
    November 12, 2019, 07:33:42 PM
  • Legolas: [link] @Thranduil
    November 09, 2019, 01:38:45 AM