Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

* Awards

* Donate

Author Topic: i will keep you safe and strong  (Read 112 times)

Galadriel

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Dory
i will keep you safe and strong
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »
~all that there is, i wish for you

timeline: 2936, Third Age.

It was not often Galadriel gave way to eagerness these days, but she often found herself incapable of resisting where family was concerned. Or, more specifically, the family that was her grandchildren-- the rest of them were a give or take, some centuries more than others. But Elrohir, Elladan, Arwen...she could deny very little, and certainly not her presence. Less so if it was deliberately sought out above all else and all others.

He was bothered though, was her little scholar. He was bothered a lot more than he often let on, more worrier than most realised, but Galadriel knew. Not, mind you, that she knew because she'd taken pains to read his mind -- hadn't needed to when the boys were children anyway, open little beings that children were. Mostly though, it was simply good sense and experience; you did not spend thousands of years helping raise a child to simply ignore them when they didn't suit your whims.

Something she planned on having strong words with her son-in-law about, in fact, if this time spent with Elrohir proved enlightening.

Her mind's touch was a gentle brush against her grandson's though, a chord of soothing, softly piped affection to both inform him that his arrival had long been noted -- as if the fog clearing from the woods and the girdle opening willingly earlier in the day had not been welcome enough -- and that Galadriel was, indeed, concerned and so seeking to smooth at least the most frayed edges of the knots that tickled about his mind and so into the barest glimmer of her own.  Inviting him, now that evening was upon them, to seek her out without fear of real interruption.

~Come along, precious boy. I have an urge to cool my feet in the river.~
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:46:42 AM by Galadriel »

played by Dory

Elrohir

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Whitney
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
Re: i will keep you safe and strong
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 05:34:42 AM »
His journey to Lothlorien had been as much a whim as anything he’d ever done, but even whim for Elrohir was given its fair share of careful consideration.  Still, he’d set off with little warning given to his father, his only explanation that he found himself thinking of and missing his grandparents of late.  In truth, he sought council that, as much as it pained him to admit, even if only in his own mind, his father could not provide.  As much as his scholar’s heart ached to admit it, it was more feeling than logic that made it seem such, and perhaps if he had asked, Elrond might have had just the wisdom he needed.  But he didn’t ask.  He doubted.  And that doubt had carried him over the old, familiar roads, over the Misty Mountains and at last down into Dimrill Dale. 

His steps meandered from there, straying from the path so that he might ride along the rushing banks of the Celebrant, following the river’s course until at last it met with Nimrodel and flowed into Lorien.  It was in that final leg of the journey that Elrohir lost himself in the pleasant nostalgia that always struck him when he heard those rushing waters and first came into view of the Golden Wood.  The wood may not have been home in the same way Imladris was, but it was home of another kind.  Free from the cares of lordship that came with his duties in Rivendell.

He’d been welcomed most warmly, as he always was, and he was given food and rest and all the tender cares any weary traveler might want, though he found himself more than once forced to reassure those who had come to see to his needs that he’d taken no offense at being asked exactly which twin he was. 

And now, as evening fell, that gentle affectionate summons served just as intended, and his heart swelled with the warmth of affection that was distinctly and entirely for Galadriel.  He’d never quite tried his mind at defining it, for there were no terms equal to the task.  It was simply her particular way of loving and welcoming him exactly as he was, with no more expectation than he simply be. 

And so he’d followed that call, guided more by his heart than his head, and just as he had upon his arrival, he followed the banks of the river.  He’d come barefoot, feeling much as he had in his much younger days when he’d traveled the length and breadth of the wood without his shoes, climbing trees and splashing through the riverbanks.  Keen eyes sought her out, though he half suspected she would find him before he found her.

Galadriel

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:56:08 AM »
Galadriel wasn't trying overly hard to hide herself; it was an impossibility for her to do so anyway, short of donning a cloak, for her hair shone even amid the lights of the mallorn trees whether the rest of her was clad in dark garb or no.

"Whimsy is not usually your poison, Elrohir." Her voice was both bland and carrying so as to guide his ears to her place by the water, invitation to speak by being so, though by no means allowing it to slip by that she had, indeed, sensed his preoccupation. It was not a far cry from the truth, though; he shared her comfort in family, yes, but not her flair for rolling with spontaneity. And note or not, this was indeed something like it for him.

Still, Galadriel at least gave the illusion of not being overly concerned, certainly not by a visit from, admittedly, her favourite grandchild. Troubled, concerned, or whatever the other was, her smile was gregarious even as it was giving, before she turned her attention once more the silver fish now hovering about her feet, curious and cautious all in one.

"Like little kittens," she chuckled softly.

played by Dory

Elrohir

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Whitney
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »
Whimsy is not usually your poison, Elrohir.

“Aren’t we all entitled, now and again, to bouts of whimsy?” He answered with only a hint of a sheepish smile, acknowledgement of his uncharacteristic behavior, and though he found no shame in it, there was no escaping the slight discomfort of walking on such uncertain ground.  Treading carefully, avoiding the water’s edge just enough so as not to disturb the fish, he drew up beside her, a striking contrast, for where her hair caught the light, his seemed only to drink it in, a dark mantle of shifting shadows. 

“But you’ll find I had plenty of time on the journey to overthink the entire matter several times over.”  This time the smile was less sheepish and more sincere, for he knew very well his own weaknesses and it would do him no good to deny them to the one person left in Middle Earth who would know him immediately for a liar should he deny it.  Better to fess up right away to the mess he’d made of it than to pretend otherwise!

“And as much as it may mark me as a terrible grandson for admitting I’d have never made the trip otherwise, I find myself in great need of advice,” he explained, the gears of his mind rapidly turning, seeking the best course to navigate what was undoubtedly the most confounding of circumstances he had encountered in all his years.  And all of his scholarly habits and analytical solutions crumbled under the weight of it, unsuited to the task as they were. 

Had circumstances been changed, he might have sought out his mother instead…  And her absence was felt all the more keenly in that silent acknowledgement. 

Galadriel

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »
"Now that, I can believe."

Not, surprisingly, because of who his sire was. Or even his grandsire, he who was called The Wise and so encouraged so by herself. No, overthinking was a malice afflicted on all sides of the family; her own, in kind, worsened and tempered in one fantastic mess few were privy to into something like tormented pride and impulsive long-suffering. A daft way of putting it, Galadriel knew, but the gift of centuries had (finally) granted her one reprieve: the ability to examine and control both her wayward thoughts and her impulsive desire to both follow them and then balk at them-- and more, the thoughts lent her by others.

She made no comment, though, on Elrohir's claim to that of terrible familial relations. It was not something she felt was in need of nagging, though nor did she seek to validate the feelings of even her grandchild. He would reach his own conclusions, as he already had in this, and she, Galadriel, would weather it with the good-natured kind of heartache that was part and parcel of raising children, a weathering that had only seemed to grow more indulgent with grandparenthood indeed. She was not self-centered in that respect, and nor was she inclined to make jokes or tease about such a thing, whether in warmth or wryness or indeed, passing whimsy.

Besides, only the most malicious hearted of spirits would do such a thing, when Galadriel's need to once again step into the role of her own daughter was felt all too keenly.

Galadriel sobered suitably in that moment, and after several more of those had passed by-- in which Elrohir did not follow up, and her head cocked to the side as she regarded him intent and unabashed over her shoulder-- her voice added its tones to the music of the river.

"You're missing someone quite keenly, it seems. Don't fear, I didn't truly pry. Such an ache is both familiar and easy to touch upon in its familiarity, whether the one who misses is an adept at reticence or not." A wonderful flavour, yet sorrowful too, all melancholy and sweetness and every ache in between; that was missing another.

"Why do you find this confusing, Elrohir?"

played by Dory

Tags: