• Dot Guests: 113
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Marbys: A short post is better than no post! Lol. Hello to all!!!!!
    June 02, 2020, 11:13:18 PM
  • Estë: Hi!
    June 02, 2020, 09:50:14 PM
  • ruthron_forest_elf: Hello
    June 02, 2020, 08:16:34 PM
  • Morwen Steelsheen: (Also do not worry about the length, Marbys. I will be doing shorter posts for quite some time yet.)
    June 02, 2020, 09:55:57 AM
  • Dory: That starter is so old. MY WRITING LOL. But I'll scratch up a date when I'm able to for you.
    June 02, 2020, 08:02:29 AM
  • Dory: I'm gibbering a 100 different things and feelings right now like I resigned that to a one shot bit omg thank you.
    June 02, 2020, 07:59:43 AM
  • Dory: -faints-
    June 02, 2020, 07:58:46 AM
  • Marbys: Post out!!! Now, I go too.
    June 02, 2020, 05:43:11 AM
  • Marbys: I’m not feeling well tonight. Too sleepy. I’ll finish Thengel’s post tomorrow as it’s not moving right now.
    June 01, 2020, 05:32:07 AM
  • Marbys: Nice to read that, Dory!!!! Welcome back!!!!
    May 31, 2020, 11:09:35 AM
  • Dáin Ironfoot: My internet hiccuped and I've just lost an entire post...
    May 31, 2020, 08:59:21 AM
  • Hera: Good to know. Best wishes, Dory!!!
    May 31, 2020, 01:46:01 AM
  • Dory: Ah nuts, wrong account again. XD
    May 31, 2020, 12:42:21 AM
  • Morwen Steelsheen: Still in recovery but have made a big leap in that with my hands, enough to be working and riding again...which is as hectic. But I fully intend to get to catching up in between ASAP. <3
    May 31, 2020, 12:41:57 AM
  • Gard: Eitherway works for me I'd say and you can come in anytime :)
    May 28, 2020, 02:14:03 PM
  • Ari: and i oop
    May 28, 2020, 12:37:44 PM
  • Shadowfax: Got my post in Marbys. Dunno if Gard would like to post before yours as well? Heh, I suppose both parties could meet halfway, if they're both out wandering.
    May 28, 2020, 12:35:13 PM
  • Marbys: OK, Ari. I think it makes more sense if Ann finds you.
    May 28, 2020, 12:10:19 AM
  • Ari: Marbys, I'd like to get a post out for Shadowfax first (in response to Nauroval) but after that, yeah! Either we find you (Annungilel) or you find us, whatever your preference.
    May 26, 2020, 01:30:47 AM
  • Marbys: I’ll wait. If no one posts in a few days, I will then.
    May 23, 2020, 05:13:40 PM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: Teachers Get to Vent  (Read 2576 times)

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Teachers Get to Vent
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:51:15 AM »
{Open to any Professors or Head Masters as want. Shoot we won't turn away prying students even! We all know Professor Balinger is a push over ^^}

It wasn't so much that what had happened was so horrendous...or all that much outside the realm of possible for a class session and even repeating what had occurred a few other times with other students, but still! After stopping Fritz Arkwright from leaping at and causing a row with another student who had insulted another of Professor Balinger's pupils (Lindsay Mcintire) and in the subsequent rest of the class session that was dealing with the comments and repercussions of the incident and even said eager youth even when he was acting normal and prior...Bob Balinger was tired.

One would expect there to be magical cures for all sorts of ailments, and certainly Magic had figured out how to deal with children and their various problems they brought with them; except it hadn't. In the same way they couldn't cure every disease in the world (as Bob and others tried to explain to confused Muggle students who no doubt though the whole Wizarding world selfish), daily problems had to be dealt with the same way adults had been doing for generations and across spectrums and without the aid of magic most times. Not that Bob had excelled in that, but he had made due.

In one of the teacher lounges and places for staff to vent and share their experiences with the student body as a whole, and in the style of Hogwarts, more than just a table and televisions, but with many comfy couches and drink dispensers, Professor Balinger ignored them all now that he had his tea before him and leaned back against one of the couches, resting one hand over his head and trying to gather strength for...whatever it was he was called upon for next, even if just for resolve to face class next day. He didn't think there were any Quidditch matches or practices requiring his attention, hopefully not, though no doubt someone would come to find him if so.

That was the other thing about a staff of magical Professors and Heads, if one really wanted to find you it was not all that difficult even if your usual patterns of behavior were changed. Of course this should give Bob more ways to tell if someone was barreling down the hall for him but he was too tired to focus on anything at the moment.

"Thing of it all is, I don't really thing the Arkwright kid was wrong, his defense of his friend in line with the tolerance we encourage...and so what am I do with him?! I can't tell him he was right, he'll never leave me a moment's peace and...there's so many days of the semester and class left!", Bob bemoaned and complained to himself, eyes still shielded and closed, not truly asking any Staff aid since far as his distracted attention knew at the moment he was still alone in the Staff Lounge.

And what to do to encourage dear Miss Mcintire more out of her shell? Bob thought he'd had good progress thus far, but after the scene of the morning it was now all thrown to rot. He was not the only professor to see the girl along her way but...for while she was a 1st Year he would do his best! And who knew what other options along the staff she was receiving, she didn't exactly ask aid and seemed to try to disappear.

And Cliff's Pure Blood pride and prejudice could not be allowed to stand, least ways not in Mr. Balinger's class.

Bob sighed again and again tried to remind himself to deal with tomorrow when it arrived. He was supposed to be unwinding after it all. "Who'd have thought kids with brooms would be such work", Bob muttered again to the empty room and any who might enter unbeknownst. For all this though, he was not regretting his job and would never trade off leading the young wizards and warlocks with their brooms in both beginning stages and Quidditch matches. Bob Balinger would stand again from this and get on about another day or hours fight, beyond that still enjoyed his job; but for the moment he stewed and sighed and 'rested' and gave off a different impression. Except to those who knew him.

The professor next took a very expert sip of his tea without looking before setting the cup back upon the side table to the left of him.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:53:11 AM by Bilbo Baggins »

(#0000CD)

Altair

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
Re: Teachers Get to Vent
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 01:05:46 AM »
Casey collapsed on the couch across from Bob, the Broomstick Master (not his official title, of course). The only thing between them was a table. He sat, coffee - because it wasn’t quite time for tea, in his opinion - in hand. He took a sip of the Hazelnut flavor - wishing they had something else besides, but whatever was cheapest, and most liked he guessed - and pretending to savor it. He could just magic whatever flavor he wanted into his coffee, but found it almost always unreliable. Such was the way of things.

He tossed his wand on the table, and watched poor Bob collect himself. Teaching students during the day was a tremendous task! The man must have gone through so much, but to be passionate about Quidditch was something special to everyone. Casey himself had a special attachment to the sport, he hated to miss a match same as anyone else. As for playing it, he had never been talented enough to make the team. Riding a broom was one of the more … complicated … things to learn. As much as Casey loved flying, and heights, the descent was almost nerve wracking! If he had to ride a broom, he would, and he did often, but he often opted to walk wherever it was they were going.

By they he meant his friends.

If he had any.

Another story for another time.

Casey’s attention snapped back to his colleague as he bemoaned his position, clearly thinking he was alone. He listened, pursing his lips and nodding in agreement. He doesn’t even realize I’m here. He mused, smiling softly. Poor, poor Quidditch teacher. Too bad he (Casey) abstained from taking on students personal problems. Pitty wasn’t something he doled out on the regular. But, in this case, he felt for his colleague. Miss Mcintire did have quite a shell, but she was adept to learning if you knew what to do. Which Bob did, and Casey saw the progress he was making.

Encouraged by this, Casey leaned forward, elbows on knees, warm cup of joe between his hands. “It’s a hard thing, Bob, teaching kids to be decent to each other. It’s part of growing up; especially if you want to make a difference in just one child! You have to keep pressing forward. All of your work will be naught if you should stop. You are making a difference in Miss Mcintire, I see it myself. Her grades have improved in my class at least.

It wasn’t much, but he had to keep the man’s spirits up! … right?

Casey listened to Bob as he continued to speak...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:12:57 AM by Altair »
color of speech: #0D6B6A

played by: Hades

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
Again, Bob was unaware any were in the room with him, and due to his distraction, so hearing someone speak jolted him out of his musing a bit. He merely blinked and, lowering his hand, inclined his head back the right way also (from having before been staring at the ceiling) to face the man and listen as he went on, a wry smile quirking one corner of his mouth.

It’s a hard thing, Bob, teaching kids to be decent to each other. It’s part of growing up; especially if you want to make a difference in just one child! You have to keep pressing forward. All of your work will be naught if you should stop. You are making a difference in Miss Mcintire, I see it myself. Her grades have improved in my class at least.

It wasn't that he didn't believe the man...

Still, comfort was taken from the words...

"Her grades have improved? Really?". That...was something! And Astronomy wasn't said by the kids to be an easy subject...though Bob didn't say this comment out-loud. He sighed again, but next smiled, proving Casey's try had worked. "Well, that's...something at least". He sounded still defeated, but his smile showed he did take the words to heart.

"No", he went on, "No I won't give up, I know. Not really. Been at this too long", he gave a small laugh, before regarding his companion. "Thank-you Casey", he figured he could use the man's first name also, since he had, and all the teachers of Hogwarts were their own kind of band of similarly bonded brothers and sisters in a way; if they just fought kid's problems and quirks, per the frustrated grumblings of before.

Casey Amadeus also had his own legend among the Quidditch community still, and Bob went on to smile. The ten years between them meant he'd never taught the kid, but he had heard from his predecessor on him. "You know, before I took over the position of teaching Quidditch, I was told that if most of the kids were like you had been I'd be alright", Bob went on to smile. Sadly they were not, but Bob still wouldn't trade it for the good kids in his class.

(#0000CD)

Altair

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 06:42:24 AM »
Casey smiled. He liked to give his fellow teachers hope. Heh, right now it was just them in the common room. All the others seemed to enjoy the solitude of their little space. But, Casey liked the openness of this room. He didn’t mind, personally, sharing the space with anyone so long as they didn’t mind a little conversation and some tea - or in his case coffee.

He grinned broadly at Bob when he brought up his record for Quidditch. “Yes, well, flying isn’t for everyone.” He answered kindly. “I did enjoy being a chaser! Feeling the rush, the excitement! I once believed I would make it to the stadium, you know, I had such high hopes then...” He admitted, “If it hadn’t been for the former Brooms master, I might not have made it to the team at all, you know.” Casey chuckled as he sat back, recalling the trouble he had put the poor professor through. “Grand-mama always said that I would be a terror with a broom someday. Look where it got me.

There was a moment of silence, and Casey sat looking at Bob, sipping his coffee. He spoke again, “So what are you going to do about Cliff, Bob? I mean, what would you do? I can tell you what I would do, but little good that would be, as I am not you, and nor are you me!” He made total sense, and was beginning to speak utter nonsense now, “It’s tough teaching in the dark, Astronomy isn’t so easy when you’re students are using transfiguration to make their books into pillows, and throwing spells at each other to keep awake. I’m often impressed when I see high scores in my class. That students actually take the time to learn about the stars, and then go to Divination.I feel that I work in tandem with our Divination instructor. If only I could remember their name… That Cliff boy is going to become a problem child...
color of speech: #0D6B6A

played by: Hades

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
Professor Casey offering Bob encouragment lead to the Astronomy professor explaining why he had loved Quidditch so much; not that he really had to try all that hard for Bob to still feel he understood. He taught, and refereed, Quidditch after all. But helping kids along towards their potential, and knowing the rules, was different than having the potential oneself to be what constituted as a Star Player.

Of course there was a point in Casey bringing it up. ”If it hadn’t been for the former Brooms master, I might not have made it to the team at all, you know.”

Bob smiled. He’d heard all about his predecessor’s patience, and recalled some of it from when he was a boy even, though he didn’t push boundaries...for the most part.

”So what are you going to do about Cliff, Bob? I mean, what would you do? I can tell you what I would do, but little good that would be, as I am not you, and nor are you me!”

Professor Amadeus seemed to laps into not making sense, but Bob could still follow, oddly enough. The important parts anyway. He sighed as he thought. "I'm not sure...House point deduction was one of the first things I tried, and I felt sure that would solve all, Cliff not wanting to be the bearer of ill for all of Slytherin...but, as other professors tell me, when they did similar, he just got crafty about his comments and such after that". Or forgot and just acted like he didn't care.

Sure, Slytherin was known as the Crafty house, and so their students could be prone to mischief more than others, and Cliff still had probably not drug it down as far as Damien Selwyn's attack on the Gallagher boy, though that was not within the same year, but they cared about points same as all others.

While he thought, Professor Amadeus went on.

“It’s tough teaching in the dark, Astronomy isn’t so easy when you’re students are using transfiguration to make their books into pillows, and throwing spells at each other to keep awake. I’m often impressed when I see high scores in my class. That students actually take the time to learn about the stars, and then go to Divination.I feel that I work in tandem with our Divination instructor. If only I could remember their name…”

"Oh, that's...", Bob went to enlighten and answer the question for his peer, when he paused. What was the man's (or woman) name?! He was drawing a blank himself! Bob frowned, determined to figure it out, not liking not knowing one of his peers. "...hold on, I know this, it's...". But he did not! "Blast, I couldn't tell you either! How strange!"

"That Cliff boy is going to become a problem child...”

They could agree on that as well!

"Yes, and unfortunately I've heard from other professors any Owls sent to his parents on the subject are sent back with replies about 'not curbing his cleverness' and how we're too strict. I don't say I don't see where the problem no doubt originates", Bob sighed.

While it seemed they were getting no answers, this talk did help, by showing even more clearly to Bob that Cliff was not just a problem for him. He was no longer wallowing in his own troubles also and now his mind started to think again. They needed some answer for all of them! What would get to the boy?

"We may have to think outside the box on this boy...". Bob tapped his chin, thinking. He then chuckled to himself, "I know what I might try, and if it works I'll let you know. I would make sure Miss Mcintire wasn't in the class, just to not be further harassed; I think Fritz Arkwright can handle himself...I was just complaining about how hard running the class was. Maybe I'll let Cliff try it out and see how he likes it". Yes! Having to wrangle his peers might be just the thing for the boy so sure he could do everything.

And, though Bob supported Fritz Arkwright's defense of his friend, having to take Cliff's orders would be a light sort of reprimand and reminder to the boy to bring such things to professors and not make waves and take things into his own hands and wand.

(#0000CD)

Tags: professors 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Éowyn: Plotter tag for Marbys! [link]
    June 02, 2020, 10:32:55 AM
  • Éowyn: Starter for Theoden. <3 [link]
    June 02, 2020, 10:03:48 AM
  • Thengel: Reply for Morwen Steelsheen [link]
    June 02, 2020, 05:52:44 AM
  • Dáin Ironfoot: Starter for Kéra and family [link]
    May 31, 2020, 10:21:13 AM
  • Fengel: Starter for Hild et all [link]
    May 31, 2020, 12:20:29 AM
  • Cirdan: Open thread at Lindon after the fall of Arnor, but before the War of the Ring. [link]
    May 29, 2020, 06:38:48 AM
  • Becca: Open thread during LOTR (specifically after War of the Ring) with Sam [link]
    May 28, 2020, 04:25:06 AM
  • Nauroval: Open thread for assistance from any in Rohan/Near Fangorn! Removing an arrow from the wing of a Great Eagle and getting to possibly speak to her and meet Shadowfax due to it! :smile: [link]
    May 22, 2020, 12:08:54 AM
  • Nienna: Open thread for LotR time line, for Sahib: [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:44:11 AM
  • Nienna: Oh la la, a post! [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:38:53 AM
  • Sauron: Reply for Saruman [link]
    May 12, 2020, 09:02:52 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Trenardir [link]
    May 09, 2020, 07:46:26 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Elrond [link]
    May 09, 2020, 05:04:57 AM
  • Bard: Don't feel disheartened. The thread is open to anyone, including Bain. I've also made a slight change to the last paragraph. I hope it helps you in joining the thread.
    May 06, 2020, 08:34:45 AM
  • Nienna: Oh! Was about to toss Bain at Pappa, but after reading the last paragraph... hmmm...
    May 06, 2020, 03:32:31 AM
  • Bard: Open thread at Laketown for anyone with a reason to be there during a cold winter night
    May 01, 2020, 01:40:22 AM
  • Saruman: Starter for Sauron [[link]]
    April 30, 2020, 06:27:20 AM
  • Gandalf: Open thread at the Shire for any and all Hobbits
    April 29, 2020, 09:20:22 PM
  • Faramir: Reply for Éomer! [link]
    April 23, 2020, 03:40:13 PM
  • Faramir: Starter for Boromir! [link]
    April 22, 2020, 12:47:38 PM