Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

* Awards

* Donate

Author Topic: Kindred Spirits of a Sort  (Read 386 times)

Nyx

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Kindred Spirits of a Sort
« on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
A simple hare was little encouragement to continue the chase for as long as the Warg had, but it was the best option she had for the moment and not too draining an excursion so why not take the chance at meat rather than let it pass for little reason and with an uncertain chance of other?

Nyx had perfected the art of being on her own and self sufficient, even if she said and thought so herself.

The creature had skittered beyond some brush, and Nyx tried to follow and find it. Slow and cautious...

Her eyes scanned about, looking, seeking, for any movement while avoiding giving away her own as she slowly entered the clearing more proper. She sniffed and could tell her quarry hasn't escaped just yet. Something else also seemed on the wind, but before Nyx could give much attention to it--other than to notice its faintness and therefore probably solitariness--her attention was drawn back to her intended target as the suspense proved too much, as it often did, and without Nyx having to attempt any flushing the hare gave itself away and darted off due to pure instinct.

The Warg grinned. Too easy...

She crouched and prepared to gain all the distance of terrain she could off that before actually rushing after her quarry. Nyx hadn't expected to overtake the creature by that alone and gave one or two more powerful strides after it until that prior scent she'd before dismissed now came back again and this time did cause the Warg to pause in further intrigue and curiosity. The hare continued on to safety, now utterly disregarded. Again Nyx didn't need the meat and it had been more precaution and...messing with?

Nyx wasn't above such.

The Warg lifted her nose and took the air again as she turned, now seeking out the source of this scent...

She identified fairly early on and her gaze settled towards the correct spot of still semi-concealing foliage. Orc! Her gaze hardened and a low growl came. Nyx had no idea if the thing had been stalking her on purpose or just come about here but she was now double wary. Still, the lone status she'd sniffed before held true. It was alone.

Therefore the Warg didn't take off immediately but stayed, a different sort of intrigued all while still guarded. "What? Are you stalking me?", she asked out challengingly in Black Speech. That would also do for telling the thing she knew it was there. Nyx would only gloat on knowing Westron if it came about to it.

{Hope location and all this works for you ^^}

(indigo)

Urjak

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Re: Kindred Spirits of a Sort
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »
Unlike the fleet footed Warg, the young Orc had been hunting in earnest, eager to acquire her meal for the day before easier prey went to ground and she was left chewing cold, earthy roots. Again.

Urjak had managed to sneak her way into a thicket where she had seen the skittering form of quail disappear. These birds were not meant for the consumption of the fairer races--the harsh lands these creatures dwelt in made their feathers oily and their meat blackened and gamy. Urjak boasted a pickiness that almost stayed her hand, surely roots would be better than these nasty little hissing birds.

But the pounding of racing feet and the soft squeal of prey had her own quarry taking flight. Urjak had a few precious moments to make her decision, and without much thought, she jumped up and snatched the quail from the air. She made sure to clench her fingers right into the animals keel, denting it into the birds organs, killing it instantly.

The Orc landed with a grunt back into the thick underbrush, and there she stayed as her ears and nose worked to locate the source of the interference. When she did find it, she hissed out a curse and let her body sink into frigid tension. It was a Warg, and Urjak was FAR too close for comfort.

Somehow they had wandered into each others hunt, and the only solace Urjak took was that (oddly enough) this Warg seemed to be alone. If she wasn’t, some younger pups might have joined in what appeared to be a game of chase. A hare? That was hardly a challenge for an older beast--yes---this one was alone.

Urjak would admit that it was a sense of whimsy that spurned her onward through the prickly underbrush. It was evergreen and dense, and the sappy pine smell clung to her leathers like stink on corpses. She couldn’t say it was a bad thing, it masked some of her scent---but not enough.

The Warg called her out, making the youth cringe back into the density of her cover. Cautious, but confident in her ability to climb and run, Urjak stayed in cover, but answered. “Hardly, I was catching dinner. Seems you let yours get away.”

Nyx

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »
{Do let me know if you need more to go off of! Nyx is still feeling out the situation, as I figure they both are ^^}

The Orc was still there, Nyx could tell, yet it hadn't leapt up and attacked just yet. Why, the Warg had to wonder. From what she knew of Orcs, it should have been first priority, and especially if this one was with others (though she almost fully believed this wasn't the case and especially now and with these sort of proofs). The fluttering birds were unnoticed, they would have required too much attention and focus even to bring one down, and Nyx had bigger fish to fry at the moment.

The safe option would have been to slink off, but Nyx was far to proud to do such before even a rabble of orcs, let alone one! Her whole life, in a sense, was proving Orcs far inferior and most certainly not to be slavers of her kind! Despite her years, she was still young all in all, and youthful rebellion and lack of knowledge shoved aside smarter apathy for all out vengeance even to the petty sort.

With a growl, Nyx approached a bit closer to the spot where the Orc was after her own challenge. The Warg looked stunned, head stiffening to attention and shock, and a sharper growl next coming at the retort given back! The cheeky nerve! She stepped even closer, giving another sniff, but could tell this Orc would probably not give away her position so lightly, all the same Nyx would find her, it was a matter of time (already had in a way and in general), she could afford to play this game for the moment. "It's a small matter", she replied, "I'll find more and at little trouble, I dare say the birds are a greater loss to you little one", a small smirk appeared on her muzzle. Nyx had no way of knowing this Orc's age, and they could be as long lived as Wargs themselves, but she assumed and went with it for the mere of sake of perhaps petty jesting to a creature she had no fondness for.

(indigo)

Urjak

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:40:30 AM »
Urjak remained still, her scent and the foolish decision to speak up was damning enough in her current situation, it might spell her doom if she were silly enough to move. Or was it? This Warg seemed as hesitant as she was to make a move, further proving the youths theory that they were both without a pack.This could either be really good, or really bad. But one thing was for sure, Urjak did NOT care for her own hesitance--she'd have to figure something out and fast.

The snuffling and growling didn’t put Urjak at ease, and she dared rumble out a snarl (though this was merely reflex) in reply. Wargs were clever and voracious hunters, and the young orc knew she was in the inferior position, but she was evasive and witty--and much more dangerous than the cony Nyx had been idling with.

At the beasts reply, Urjak had to smirk, and decided that certain risks would have to be acceptable for the sake of pride--and a clever idea. Making sure to curve her throw so that her exact location wasn't as easy to glean; the orc tossed the dead quail out from the thick underbrush she’d used for cover, letting the limp thing be her proof, and maybe even a peace offering.

“It’s only a loss now that I’ve given you my kill. Nasty little things, but there’s good, dark blood inside.” Urjak was the type of person who loved bloody, partially fermented meat. Which was why these throw-away birds were such a good prize. But for the sake of her life, she could deal with digging up moldy tubers for her dinner, and let this clever Warg enjoy the blackened flesh of the greasy bird.

Nyx

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
Nyx remained still and watchful (but for the low growls, which were as much her own wondering as to further keep the air of intimidation), eyes trained on the brush the Orc was within, trusting on her own natural powers of intimidation and being a Warg. If this Orc was alone this was weighed heavily in Nyx's favor, but Orcs, for being foul and wretched, were tricky, Nyx would readily attest.

It wasn't guaranteed just yet that this one was alone...

She slowly approached even closer to the spot where the Orc was assumed to be. A snarl of the Orc's own came out to greet her! Nyx smiled smallishly, unsure quite what she thought of the snarl and whole thing, when more was added to it. A quail came flying from the brush, at a clear high angle to attempt to hide her location, Hmm...not fully bad for an Orc... Nyx then investigated the bird. Ah so it was a sort of peace offering was it?

The words came to give further clue.

“It’s only a loss now that I’ve given you my kill. Nasty little things, but there’s good, dark blood inside.”

Nyx gave the bird a sniff or two--one could never be too careful and it might be poisoned in some way--but it was clear of anything of that nature. The Warg was loathed to accept anything like a Peace Offering from the Orc, or agree to good behavior for it, but it would be unwise to let free food go, even under misunderstood pretenses. Still something in the gesture was the same sort of insulting that all Orcs dealt with!

"And what...am I supposed to agree to good behavior now? Let you do whatever you want just because you fed me?", Nyx asked with a semi-challenging sardonic edge, still watching the brush and trying to locate the Orc if just to further aid her stance. "Typical", she shook her head.

(indigo)

Urjak

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:03:40 PM »
"And what...am I supposed to agree to good behavior now? Let you do whatever you want just because you fed me? Typical."

Perhaps she shouldn’t have been surprised that the bird was taken out of context. There was no reason to trust one another, and why wouldn’t this Warg assume the worst from her, Urjak was fairly awful---but surely some sort of understanding could be breached. The female was like a raw nerve, angry and sensitive, the young orc would have to use tact.

Oh. How she hated using tact.

With another (albeit softer) growl, Urjak stood up amidst the tangles and the thorny branches. Her features obscured by the burlap hood she’d pulled down to protect her ears from the biting cold and the prickly foliage. “I wasn’t asking for compliance. I was asking for you to not eat me.” Urjak took a risk by exposing herself, but this was getting nowhere and she was losing patience.

Both hands moved to the air, showing that she bore no weapon in hand that could harm Nyx, she then slowly stomped her way towards the edge of the underbrush. She opted not to take offense to the assumption of her intentions, most of her kind would in fact expect compliance and supplication from any Warg. “But by all means, if you don’t want the bird, I’ll take it back.”

Nyx

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »
Nyx kept a wary eye on the brush before her, looking, sniffing, for the Orc's location and to keep it in scent at least if not sight just yet. She also kept near the bird, not willing to just let that free treat go, whatever it's connotations and as long as her dignity didn't suffer for it.

Still, even a Warg couldn't afford too much pride, and to huff fully away from it would be foolishly letting the opportunity go before she even knew how it stood. Much as she felt she knew.

The other gave another growl, lower, annoyed all but, and stood before any words of hers. Nyx gave the being a glance over. Of course it was an Orc, she'd already been able to tell that. It looked younger than she would have expected somehow, even by the voice clues! and with the hood covering much of the face. Voice clues with both of their species were at many times misleading.

Young also was a pretty relative term and both Orc and Warg life expectancy surprisingly high, even more so than Dwarves, from what the Warg had heard, not that she put much effort into knowing much on Dwarves (beyond where to find and attack them when she felt inclined)

“I wasn’t asking for compliance. I was asking for you to not eat me.”

The Orc claimed, hands up and showing defenseless (but then that could be a giant trick also!) and Nyx studied her again, as if looking for clues to whether this could be true or not.

“But by all means, if you don’t want the bird, I’ll take it back.”

Nyx chuckled, "Now I didn't say that...", taking this Orc's bird and then either insulting and or harming her somehow sounded almost doubly fun.

Well, Insult to Injury was supposed to be, wasn't it?

Nyx glanced to the bird again and then the Orc, with another smile, "The offer will do", she stated, taking all the pleasure she could in seeming to have the upper hand here and while making sure this Orc didn't try anything still.

"You're safe, aside from other insult or injury you might try...", any provocation Nyx deemed so would put all bets off, she was already having mixed feeling having an agreement with an Orc in the first place.

But...again, age wise, she was still rather young and...curiosity was a trait of the young, much as Nyx tried to downplay or ignore her own; she was as prone to sniff a bush simply to see what was in it as any dog (though one would be wise to never make that comparison!)

"So...", a test of a wing proved what smell had already told, that for what it was, it wasn't a bad kill, and Nyx had no qualms and even took smug pleasure in enjoying the bird before this Orc, "...where's your pack of conniving friends?", it wasn't asked suspiciously, more conversationally and curiously.

Not that she would have as much respect if this one was rogue too, she was still an Orc. And that was part of the curiosity, it was even stranger for an Orc to be alone, the Warg felt. And also not that Nyx would enjoy anyone to talk to after so long alone, she enjoyed her rogue lifestyle, so much so she would never admit there was anything ever bad about it at all.

(indigo)

Urjak

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:51:07 AM »
( Thank you for your patience! I'm so sorry these posts are taking me so long!)

Urjak made sure her movements were always slow and considerate, that not even an errant twitch was made lest it invoke the predatory instincts of the Warg before her. She did smile as Nyx accepted her offering, her belly complained by foraging for edible roots was preferred to the loss of a limb or one’s life.

Still moving at a snail’s pace, the young orc walked out of the prickly underbrush, the last defense she had, and stood before the Warg. The lack of objects obscuring her exposed her petite size, though she made damn sure to keep eye contact with the Warg at all times. It was a dominant, and somewhat bold move--but Nyx’s threat of possible harm in the near future had her duck her chin down an inch to reel back her arrogant physical posturing.

“So...where’s your pack of conniving friends?”

Feeling the emptiness of her stomach even more so now that Nyx devoured her hard won quail, Urjak gave her lips a disgusted smack and rolled her eyes at the notion she was with someone. “I’d sooner cut off my own foot and crawl across these rocky planes than travel with a drooling, smelly pack of buffoons. They are too loud and too dull witted.”

Nyx

• Corrupt
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 02:29:01 PM »
{No worries ^^ ~}

The Orc moved out slowly, seemingly calculating every move, but then that was just what Nyx would expect one to do who wasn't completely mindless! The Warg watched warily for her part also. Who knew but she could pull a weapon at any moment, rope seemed too hard hidden and Nyx was fairly certain she didn't have that on her.

She also noted the small smile as the bird was taken and for a second suspicion flared against everything Nyx's senses had told her about the bird. It was poisoned! That's what it was! This Orc had...no, Nyx's senses told her true yet again, but she still didn't completely drop her prejudice assumptions on everything an Orc would do.

As she moved even further from the brush, Nyx got a better view and judge of her size and she was smaller than she'd previously thought. Partly from age maybe, but not as far as it should have gone, the Warg could instantly judge. She was just smaller in stature. It didn't well up...pity, but...Nyx instantly understood what it would have been like for her being a scrawny Orc. The smaller in stature Wargs were either taken care of by their own kind or the Orcs themselves would cast them out. They didn't tend to deal any better with their own either, and she either had survived many scraps or it explained why she was seemingly alone. Possibly both.

She kept eye contact, but then so did Nyx, and the Warg didn't take it as a challenge, able to read the wariness behind the gesture. That and she was still intrigued the answer to her latest question.

“I’d sooner cut off my own foot and crawl across these rocky planes than travel with a drooling, smelly pack of buffoons. They are too loud and too dull witted.”

Nyx's eyes narrowed a fraction, but more in taking in this answer, and trying to work through it, than any ill emotion; and her head tilted. It all came down to did she believe her...

The Warg scanned the Orc again. There was no way she could know too much on Nyx's own history and be copying...or maybe...if she also came from Gundabad. Nyx had both not paid attention and left too soon to get a good count and was certainly not up to date on her count. Having eaten most of the bird, or the parts she wanted, she didn't care too much over it anymore and circled the Orc again, but assessing, though she didn't care if she made her uncomfortable. Finally she stopped in front again and answered.

"That so...it's not an easy thing...being alone...", she partly commented, but mostly sort of tested. Trying to see if she did in fact seem the sort that could survived alone. Her size seemed to refute that, but then...Nyx had survived as a pup...

Still no Orc could be that smart. And she most certainly would not give any sort of respect if it as true...unless it was...

(indigo)

Tags: urjak