• Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Gard: *snugs Hades* <3
    September 08, 2020, 01:53:19 PM
  • Nienna: lord have mercy on my stressed soul...
    September 04, 2020, 01:34:16 PM
  • Dory: And one for Hera/Elladan. :3
    August 03, 2020, 05:53:40 AM
  • Dory: Finally got to Cirdan's plotter, Guiga. <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:31:01 AM
  • Gard: I'm good! ^^ Hope you had fun! <3
    July 31, 2020, 09:58:18 PM
  • Ristiinna: Back from my camping trip. How's everyone?
    July 30, 2020, 09:38:19 PM
  • Nienna: Becca! I’ll work on a Ren post when I get off work! ❤️
    July 24, 2020, 11:39:33 PM
  • Nienna: Hello hello!
    July 24, 2020, 11:39:03 PM
  • Nienna: <3
    July 20, 2020, 02:57:05 AM
  • Guiga: No problem, Hades. I'm still catching up on posts as well.
    July 19, 2020, 05:17:39 AM
  • Nienna: oh my god it's embarrassing how long that took me to get out, Guiga! </3 I am SO SO SO SO SO sorry! But some things happened, and all should be good to go again.
    July 18, 2020, 05:56:29 PM
  • RonnieRoo: Wowie!
    July 15, 2020, 10:03:00 PM
  • Hera: @Ari. Your reply is posted as well. Next is Gard's as Pellavan.
    July 12, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
  • Hera: Wrong account.
    July 12, 2020, 08:40:20 AM
  • Gandalf: @Dory. I hope you find the dogs.
    July 12, 2020, 08:39:54 AM
  • Ari: (Marbys & Gard) Got my post out! *shoots confetti cannon* I do believe Gard is next. :)
    July 12, 2020, 07:58:12 AM
  • Ari: (Dory) Aw, I do hope your puppers are okay ;_;
    July 12, 2020, 02:16:14 AM
  • Ari: I've been distracted binge-watching Bob's Burgers, ngl  X'D  My post for Ann & Naur -Marbys & Gard- is a'comin!
    July 12, 2020, 02:14:24 AM
  • Dory: I'm going to try and start writing on my day off next week tho.
    July 11, 2020, 11:28:12 AM
  • Dory: You'll have to forgive me too. There has been...a lot going on. Starting with our dogs at the farm going missing. :/
    July 11, 2020, 11:27:47 AM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: Thanks For Sharing  (Read 3100 times)

Estel/Aragorn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Marbys
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Thanks For Sharing
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
Estel was listening intently as his mother, Gilraen, was telling him a story. As any boy his age, he loved to listen to good stories and she knew some that were very good. It was night and it would be time to sleep soon, but Estel felt restless and his mother had noticed that. She had asked him what the problem was. His innocent answer. "There is no problem, mom." But there was. He was studying about the world, hearing about the world, about customs and languages, but he knew nothing outside of Rivendell. He had come here as a toddler and had no true memory of the outside world. Not that he disliked Imladris. It was a wonderful place filled with equally wonderful people, but he was a boy and a very curious one indeed.

The ten year old boy had heard earlier in the day that Lord Celeborn had come from Lothlorien to visit his grandchildren, Lord Elrond's own children. That was a place he wanted to see with his own eyes some day. That was a project for much later though. For now all he could hope for was some old stories, of the kind very few others alive could tell him with detail. Lord Celeborn was here since the First Age of the world. That was a long time. So long indeed that the young boy couldn't even fathom. Most of the other beings that had survived since the First Age and he heard about at least once weren't willing to talk and would most likely just kill him on the spot he stood. You know the really bad stuff like Sauron and Balrogs....

Estel was a bit anxious. He wanted to go and try to talk with the elderly Elf, but on the other hand he couldn't just barge in, could he? Though if he took too long to decide himself, Celeborn would just go away and return home. Gilraen's eyes were on him again. They had that 'I don't have a good feeling about this' vibe to them he knew so well. Estel wasn't about to loose that unique chance though. Instead of changing to go to bed, he evaded his mother and ran out of the room. He didn't look back. He was sure he'd see his mother's head shaking negatively and wouldn't be able to still continue.

Estel was a tall boy for his age and would certainly turn into a tall man in his adult years. He had a grace to his slight sprint, no as great as that of the Elves, but it was still there. Once he was far enough and saw that he wasn't being followed, he diminished his pace into a brisk walk because it wasn't polite to run through the halls of Imladris. Soon he had reached his destination: the balcony that held one of the best sights of the valley beneath and the stars above in the whole city. It was a popular place amongst the Elves and his instinct didn't fail him that he would find Celeborn there.

"Hello, Lord Celeborn. I'm Estel. It's a lovely night, isn't it?" The boy said in perfect Sindarin. The cadence of his words was beautiful and told anyone that heard them that he was used to be amongst and talk to Elves. He stood beside the much elder Elf for a few moments stargazing and taking in the breathtaking sight he was so used to see by now. Then the boy looked up at Celeborn's eyes, his blue ones were shinning with the same light of those stars. He couldn't find the right words to say what he wanted to ask, but the curiosity was there in the spark gracing his young eyes.

Thanks go to Alagon for the lovely graphics!!!!

Celeborn

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Becca
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Celeborn could see why Elrond had chosen his home to be this valley. Besides being very defensible, which was likely the Half Elf's real reason, it was peaceful and very beautiful. Plus, Elrond had a very sizable library of various subjects. But the silver-haired Elf Lord tended to enjoy the trees more than he did the stonework of Rivendell. Though to be perfectly honest, it was because his wife was there that he enjoyed Lothlorien. He could possibly even tolerate living in Mordor if Galadriel was there, with the key word being tolerate.

Currently, Celeborn was sitting on a balcony, with a good book and some fine wine, though his attention wasn’t entire on his book nor was it on the sights in front of him, a delightful as they were. But rather his thoughts were more pleasantly settled on his favorite subject of reverie: his wife. It was times like this that he wished that they weren’t Lord and Lady of Lothlorien and instead could travel where they liked to visit with their grandchildren when they wished without having to worry about responsibilities. Back then life was much simpler and filled with laughter and joy. His daughter was still here and he could sometimes hear her clear voice laughing joyously. He sighed and leaned back in his chair, putting his book on the table beside him and taking a sip of his wine.

His Elven hearing picked up the sound of a young child approaching and the only human child around was Estel, Elrond's foster son. He was one of the few that knew who the boy truly was and also that his wife called Elessar. He was curious as to why the young boy was coming to him and turned to see the dark-haired boy approach him. He gave a small smile as Estel introduced himself to the Elf Lord. "Hello Estel. Indeed it is a lovely night. Though perhaps a bit late for one as young as you?" But he gestured to the other chair even as he spoke. "What can I do for you?" He was very impressed with the young human's command of Sindarin and knew that it was very much due to Elrond's influence.

Watching the young boy sometimes made Celeborn wish that he and Galadriel had another child. He would have very much enjoyed having a son. But they only had one and a girl, a child that Celeborn loved and would not trade for the world. He eagerly waited for when he could see his little girl again, though he had a feeling that it would be quite some time before he could.

Estel/Aragorn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Estel felt a little sting at the elf lord's first words, but then he gestured for him to take the other chair and a giant smile graced his childish features. He took the offered seat and then replied politely for one should always give answers to questions asked. "I apologize for the hour, Lord Celeborn. I can assure you my mother is most displeased by this particular choice of mine. Yet, I have been taught that unique opportunities are like the light of the evening stars. Once it passes, it'll never come to you in the same way again. Things always change and time runs ever shorter for one such as myself. I do not complain about it, but also I think why loose any second of such time?"

"There is just so much I'd like to ask you. After all, no offense intended, you are just so old and have been around since the First Age of the world. Very few things alive can claim such and many would just kill me for I breathe. This is an unique chance to learn of the past. I wish to learn more of the past. From someone who has lived through it. Someone who truly understands what came to pass, how and why." Estel said humbly to his conversational partner. He truly wanted to know more of the far past for knowing why and how things happened would allow one not to make the same mistakes again, not that he thought he would ever be in a position to make any serious choices that would affect more than just his own life, but it's never unwise to be ready for anything and Estel was a curious lad. He wanted to learn just for the sake of learning.

There was a moment of uneasiness before he spoke again. "Also, if you don't mind me asking... I'd like to ask for permission to be granted to me, once I'm older and can travel by myself, to enter even if just the outskirts of the great realm of Lothlorien. I've heard it is such a beautiful place with the great Mallorn trees. I just would like to see them with my own eyes sometime before the end comes." His words were now a bit bolder, but still humble. Who didn't want to see the great Elven forest protected by Lady Galadriel? Though he would not like to be trapped there like he sometimes felt trapped in Rivendell. He knew it was for his safety for he was still young, but once he came of age he didn't want to feel that way anymore.

"I'll understand if you prefer that I leave now. I wish not to disturb your rest, Lord Celeborn. But if nothing else can be granted to me, and I'll understand if that is the case, could you at least give to me your own vision of your home? How do you see Lothlorien? Is it as beautiful as others have said?" Estel finished his plea with those words. A few impressions of his home from the Elf lord would be enough for the human boy, though he did in his heart hope that more would be granted. Perhaps a story of the First Age. In truth, he'd be satisfied with anything Celeborn decided to grant him.

Celeborn

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Estel certainly talked a lot and Celeborn felt a smile start to grow as he listened to the young boy. At least Estel was polite and he gave a small chuckle. "I imagine she will be. Most mothers are when they're little boys run off before bed." Then the young male spoke very much like Elrond likely did when he was younger and Celeborn's smile turned slightly sad for a moment. Celeborn knew that this boy was descended from Elrond's twin and was pretty sure that it was sometimes tough on the Half-Elf to see this boy.

But he was hardly surprised by the boy's curiosity and gave a short laugh at others killing him. "I can assure that I will not kill you, Estel, simply for asking me about the past." He regarded the dark haired child. "What would you like know, young one?" It had been several centuries since he last told one so young about the past and the silver-haired Elf Lord had a sudden flashback of Elrohir and Elladan listening with rapt attention to his words and had to smile.

Estel also wanted to see Lothlorien? That was hardly surprising since those here in Rivendell often came to Lorien and those in Lothlorien often came to Rivendell. But he still sometimes was uneasy about talk of travel to his home since his daughter had been attacked on her way to visit him and his wife. But he grinned at Estel's bold words. "Of course, little one. But not until your father gives you permission." He didn’t think that the young boy would go off anywhere without permission but it never hurt to make sure.

His lips twitched in vague amusement. "Stay, Estel. I was not resting but rather missing my wife and could use some companionship, especially from a fine lad as yourself." At being asked about his home, his smile widened. "I certainly think it is. But it is filled with light and life. There are many trees and we have built an entire city within the trees, Caras Galadhon. What have others said of my home?" His mind inevitably turned briefly to his wife, his real reason for loving Lothlorien, but only briefly as he watched the young boy.

Estel/Aragorn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:42:00 AM »
Estel shook his head in agreement with Celeborn. "I will make it up to her, my lord. I think I may hunt a couple of rabbits for our lunch tomorrow. Mother loves cooked rabbit!" He said enthusiastically as the idea came to him. He intended to do something to compensate Gilraen, that was for sure. "Would you have a wiser idea to offer me on how I could achieve my goal? I am not beyond changing my mind for a better option. I just didn't stop to think of many yet..." He added asking for counsel, not that he believed the Elf lord was prone to evading his mother as a child and thus knew how to compensate such behavior as his tonight effectively.

Estel couldn't help but laugh as Celeborn did. Maybe he had just said too much and some of it was nonsense, which was the most probable. He felt a little ashamed, but what could he do? What was said, was said. "I never thought you would, Lord Celeborn! Elves are fair and wise beings who are not usually fast to deal out death on others who are not in cahoots with Dark Lords. I was talking about other sorts of old beings, my lord..." He replied trying to make amends.

Celeborn had agreed to tell him tales of the First Age. Estel's happiness at such reply couldn't be described by words. His smile grew wider before he began to make his request. "First, I wish to thank you and then ask to know a little more about... It's actually difficult to choose. There are so many good stories. The tale of Barahir, who began the friendship between Men and Elves… Beren and his defiance of Morgoth. It's kind of hard to believe that someone could be worse than Sauron or that the Dark Lord ever had a master, but it is true, not?" Estel then noticed that his excited words weren't making sense anymore and stopped to take a deep breath.

"I think what I really want to know is why Sauron is still here… If Morgoth was captured and cast into the void… Why is he here? Shouldn't it be theoretically easier to capture him than his master? Everybody would be better had him been dealt with by then too…" Estel said with some hurt feelings permeating his words. "If not for him and his Orcs, my father would still be alive. I do love Elrond like a son to a father and he has done so much for me already, but sometimes I wonder how my life could be now were my father still alive…" The reason of his hurt was then revealed.

Estel couldn't fit in his skin when he was granted permission to visit Lothlorien when he became older and Elrond granted him permission to travel there. "Sure. I understand the world is a dangerous place and I am too young to venture out on my own, my lord. I will know how to wait. Also I am most grateful for your understanding. I've heard that most who get there never return home, but such must be a measure of defense or just people being over dramatic." He said with a smile.

"Thank you, Lord Celeborn." Estel answered bowing his head a little in respect at being called a fine lad. "I am sure Lady Galadriel misses you as much just like my mother misses my father. She doesn't say, but I can see the sadness in her eyes when she looks at me sometimes…" He added to show that even though he didn't exactly understand the longing for his wife that the elder Elf had, he knew it was a strong feeling.

Estel heard what Celeborn said with great attention. "They said that it is lit by moonlight at night and is a sun-filled forest by day. That it has magical properties or at least seem to have some and the great Mallorn trees just shine of gold and silver like nothing else alive in this good world. They don't grow anywhere else, so one can only see them at Lothlorien. The city of Caras Galadhon covers a good deal of trees and that it is a sight to be seen in autumn when the leaves turn golden." Estel just spilled everything he could remotely remember about the subject.

Celeborn

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
Celeborn couldn’t hold back the laughter that bubbled up from within him at Estel's exuberance in regards to hunting for a few rabbits for the young boy and his mother. He shook his head at the question if he had a better idea. "No, little one. I have a feeling that your mother would appreciate a rabbit from her son. Though next time you wish to stay up longer, perhaps you can ask for permission from her first?" His correction was gentle.

His eyes twinkled about hearing about cahoots. "And are you in cahoots with the dark Lord, little one?" His wrath was definitely quick upon the servants of the Dark Lord and any that dared to hurt those that he cared for. He found the young human's curiosity and slight lack of a filter. He was reminded very much of himself as he stared at Estel.

He blinked slightly owlishly as he tried to make sense of what the youngster was trying to say. His eyes darkened briefly at hearing about Beren. It still hurt sometimes that Luthien had chosen mortality for love but he didn’t blame her. But it was still tough and he could briefly see the flash of Arwen fading much like his cousin had. Celeborn did not have the foresight that his wife, Elrond, or Cirdan had but he could get the occasional glimpse of the future. But he quickly focused back on Estel.

But Estel settled on wanting to know why Sauron was still here and about Morgoth. If it was anyone else, Celeborn would have talked about Isiladur but not with the descendant of the man before him. So Celeborn bit back an answer and yet closed his eyes painfully at orcs tearing apart families before opening them up and looking at Estel sadly. "I do not know why Sauron was not defeated. Morgoth however was defeated only through the intervention of the Valar and the destruction of part of Middle Earth." Which included Celeborn's home. "I too know what it is like to have orcs tear apart my family. My daughter was captured and tortured by the vile creatures. My grandsons rescued her and my son-in-law healed her but she no longer felt joy and sailed to the Undying Lands." He sighed softly.

He nodded slightly at hearing that his wife missed him. "Oh, I have no doubt that she misses me. But I hope that she will join me here in Rivendell soon." She had said that she would try and he desperately hoped that was so. Even their brief parting was hard on him and he wished that she was by his side.

His smile grew as Estel said everything he had heard about Lothlorien and Celeborn shook his head in amusement. "Why would you need my words when you describe it so aptly, young one?" He grinned. "It is very lovely and the Mellyrns are only in Lothlorien. I'd be very pleased to some time show you around my home, little one."

Estel/Aragorn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Celeborn's slight reprehension was expected. Estel knew he was wrong in dodging his mother and running away like he had done. "I'll do so next time, my lord. I wish to add in my defense that I usually don't act like this, but I just didn't want to loose this unique opportunity. You know what I mean, right?" His trial to explain his actions was honest and a bit naive. Sometimes his age or current lack of it did show.

The Elf Lord's question took the young boy aback. His expression of shock and then horror was clear. "Never!" He replied simply and with energy. Estel hated the Dark Lord because his Orcs had taken away his father. "I want to become a Ranger when I grow up if they take me in, Lord Celeborn. I want to use what I'm learning with father to protect other people who can't defend themselves." He answered now calmer, his reactions more under control. There was some level of humble pride in his declaration when he said he wanted to dedicate his life to protect others. Little the young boy knew that it was his fate to lead the Rangers of the North and later all Dúnedain against the darkness.

"If there is something I'll never consciously allow to happen, it is this. The Dark Lord will never have any hold on me but for the anger I feel for knowing I've lost my birth father before being able to form any memories of him." His words were filled with strong emotions. Estel isn't one to be fast to hate, all who knew him knew this, but Sauron he hated and also his Orcs, Trolls and other foul creatures. "Here Sauron will only ever find an enemy, my lord, and I intend to cause him trouble. As much as I'm able... when I grow up, off course... Nothing much I can do right now." He said pointing to himself when saying here and then recognizing his current lack of ability to act on his words, which was temporary until he came of age. His mind was pretty much set otherwise.

His semblance grew more concentrated as his attention turned to Celeborn's answer to his question about Sauron and Morgoth. "It must have been hard to loose your home. Yet many more did so again afterwards too. Why does it have to be this way, Lord Celeborn? Why?" His youth again showed, yet he wasn't whining. Estel never whined. He truly just wanted to understand why Iluvatar's great design for the world just had to include so much pain in it.  

The boy heard the Elf lord's words about his daughter and felt a bit down. Though he took a little to transmit his thoughts with words. "At least she is alive, my lord, you'll see her again someday. I'll never know my father but for what mother and Halbaron say about him. That is... somewhat worse... I think. I'm not saying you're in lesser pain, just that yours will pass. Mine will remain with me for as long as I'm alive... In other words, my lord, you have something to hope towards. I do not." The boy said, a sadness permeated his words and filled his semblance. "Maybe we should talk about brighter things? I don't want to be a depressing conversational partner..." He offered with a shy smile.

Then his smile grew bigger again and his semblance brightened. "The Golden Lady is coming here? Really? Awesome!!!" His enthusiasm was on high again. He was nearly jumping up and down in his chair. Youth was very resilient as they said. "My lord, you won't mind if I talked to her, will you? I don't believe it. I'll meet Lady Galadriel too. That is if she wants to talk to me.... I'm so fortunate. I shouldn't be complaining about anything..." Estel declared happy, rethinking his previous words. He still had much to live and he wanted fully to live through it all, whatever came.

If there was shortly before a sadness in his eyes and mind, it was now gone from both. Estel smiled happily at Celeborn's last words. "I just thought you being from there could add something else, maybe more interesting or insider knowledge." He let out a small laugh and then continued. "I can't wait to visit your home, my lord, even though I know I must." He said enthusiastically and also thankful for the reassurance of the previously received invitation.

Celeborn

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Estel certainly was rather entertaining. Celeborn smiled warmly as the young boy explained that he wasn’t usually like this. "I must say that I am flattered that you would risk the wrath of your mother to meet me. But I am going be here a bit longer, Estel." He did hum in agreement about understanding what he meant. "I'm glad to know that I am so exciting, young one."

He did hold back a smile at Estel's shock and horror at his question, a question that was meant to be teasing. "I know you are not, little one. I was simply teasing you." It seemed a lot of people mistook his humor for the truth. He should practice that a bit more then. The boy wanted to be a Ranger like his birth father? He had to wonder if Elrond knew of this and if his son-in-law approved of it. "A Ranger?" When Estel referred to learning with his father, he assumed that the boy meant Elrond, his foster father. "Does Lord Elrond know of this noble intention that you have?'

There was a flash of something in Celeborn's eyes, something akin to sadness. "Be very careful not let your hate of the Dark Lord to go too far, Estel." He did chuckle at his enthusiasm and words about growing up first. "Indeed, it would be beneficial for your safety and everyone's ease of mind if you waited until you were older to start your campaign against the forces of darkness."

His eyes closed in a mix of sadness and pain as Estel asked about why things had to happen and he sighed. "That is a question that has puzzled the Wise for many millennia, Estel. I think only the Valar know the answer to that question." He could see the destruction of Doriath, first by the Dwarves and then by the sons of Feanor. But sometimes he still saw the dead body of his great-uncle and king, Elu Thingol. The man was almost like a father to Celeborn.

He opened his eyes again as Estel said that Celeborn's pain about his daughter was not as bad as Estel's regarding his father and he sighed. "I know. Some ways, knowing I will see her again makes my heart lighter. But at times, I worry if she places any blame on her capture on me." It was a  foolish thought but it was still there, however deeply buried within him, known only by him and Galadriel, and only by his wife due to their bond.

The young boy suggested that they changed subjects and Celeborn nodded in agreement. But he had to laugh at Estel's excitement regarding meeting his wife. "So she told me when I left. She had some things that she needed to do." Come join me soon, my love. He knew she could hear that thought and the thought of her brought a large, slightly goofy grin to his face. "I think she'd be pleased to talk with a fine lad as yourself. And I do not mind you speaking with her." He was hardly a jealous type considering he knew exactly where her whole heart rested, or rather with whom it rested.

He shook his head in amusement. "If you wish to know more, perhaps if you asking something specific, I can then tell you more. My realm is after all a fairly large place." He chuckled at Estel's very obvious excitement. "Yes, I can see that, Estel."

Estel/Aragorn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:58:00 AM »
Estel received Celeborn's warm smile as a positive sign of his understanding and reciprocated with one of his own. "Really?! How come I was led to think that wasn't the case? Maybe I heard wrong… Not that I was eavesdropping or anything, Lord Celeborn." The boy spoke innocently and then was fast to reiterate that he wasn't meddling on what wasn't his business. He had just overheard a few talks and then reached the wrong conclusions. Everyone was entitled to that, especially a ten year old boy. "My mother is very proud of my will to learn everything I possibly can here in Rivendell. She may even forgive my excess, but only after pulling my ears or something like that. I hope so anyway." He continued honestly as he could envision the scene in his mind. Sure, he won't escape a telling off, but she would understand and forgive him later. Gilraen did love her boy and it was difficult for them to stay upset with each other for a long time. When Celeborn mentioned being exciting, Estel's smile simply grew in size.

Estel sighed relieved when Celeborn said that his question was in jest and he was just teasing him. At his question, the boy replied. "Yes, my lord. I want to become a Ranger. I think it is the best thing I can do with my life unless things change in ways I can't possibly know now." At his second question, Estel stopped to think for a moment, looking at the stars in the sky above as if trying to recall something. "No. I don't believe I have told him yet. I have told mother though. She was proud and sad. She said that I really am my father's son. I don't know what she meant by that exactly and I try not to push her when it comes to my father. She always gets sad and depressed when I do…" Estel said honestly and again showed a bit of that childish innocence.

Estel tilted his head. He was still too young to perceive the more subtle emotional undertones on others, but something did touch him when he looked at Celeborn's eyes before he spoke again. As he couldn't identify what it was, he decided not to say anything about it. "I don't understand, my lord. Isn't it easier to fight against someone you hate?" He asked in order to understand fully the warning he was receiving. The boy thought his best protection against the Dark Lord was hating him so much he'd never even think on doing anything else but fight him. It was certainly simplistic thinking, but he was still a kid. Even smart kids are naive and innocent by nature. Estel laughed, though still respectful, at Celeborn's last words. He would have patience. He would wait, but once he was unleashed he intended to do damage to the forces of darkness. Actually Estel wanted to be somewhat like Elladan and Elrohir when he grew up. Maybe even travel around with them.

"Maybe there isn't an answer?" Estel asked as an afterthought. "But then that thought would be a bit depressing as it would mean there is no order in the world and bad or good things happen to us randomly without any reason." He decided to expand on his thoughts a little more, though he wasn't very sure how relevant they really were if at all. He frowned at his own words and then continued. "I don't like that idea very much. I'll go with what you said, my lord. There is an answer. It's just not for us to know…" He finally settled for that thought.

Now the boy was again a little dumbfounded at Celeborn's words and it did show in his countenance. He couldn't think of a way in which the Elf lord could be responsible for what had happened to his daughter. Certainly he didn't send Orcs after her. It was all Sauron's fault for breeding them in the first place! "I'm sure you wouldn't do anything that could harm your daughter and that she knows that, my lord. Also I can't really see how that could be true. Orcs only obey themselves or the Dark Lord for what I know. Not that I know much anyway…" Estel humbly tried to explain his thoughts.

Estel's excitement grew more at the confirmation that Lady Galadriel was really coming to Rivendell soon and Celeborn wouldn't mind him talking to his wife. "Here? With father Elrond? He has been thoughtful lately. I guess something not so good is troubling him. Is that why you have come?" He simply started talking innocently without thinking first. "Sorry, my lord, I promised not to talk about depressing things… I shouldn't even be asking. It's none of my business really. It's just that I worry when father gets like that. I also don't have a good feeling about whatever this is that made him get this way." He apologized for being a bit impertinent and then revealed his reasons for his behavior. "Still it would be wonderful to get to know your wife, my lord. She is both beautiful and wise or so I've heard the adults say. Maybe you are both able to allow father's mind to become untroubled. I hope it is the case, my lord." He completed honestly.

Estel opened a big smile when Celeborn said he'd be able to explain better if he was more specific in his questions about his home, which is a very big place. He decided to begin with the beginning. "About the outskirts, my lord. Where is the best place to enter? Can they be dangerous? I've heard some stories about weird things happening when evil things try to enter. Not that I fear that. I am as evil as anyone is. No particular inclination towards doing harm to good things. Well… I've made my future intentions known already so you know that by now…" He asked what he thought was the most important to know for when he went to visit. He could find a map with the way to reach Lothlórien, but to enter safely seemed to be another matter.

Celeborn

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
This conversation with Estel was rather entertaining and Celeborn gave a snort of amusement at the young boy's assertion that he had not eavesdropped to gain his information regarding the length of Celeborn's stay. He nodded sagely at the talk of learning all he could at Rivendell. "Imladris is certainly one of the best places to learn. You have many fine scholars here, your adoptive father being one of the foremost of them." Yes, Estel was definitely in good hands here. He was still a bit jealous of Elrond's library and sometimes wished for one in Lothlorien.

Celeborn chuckled slightly at Estel very obvious relief in hearing that he was joking with the boy. He regarded the youngster for a few moments, nodding slightly and smiling. "I believe you will make a fine Ranger when you grow older, Estel." He didn’t need any sort of foresight to know that. He simply knew deep down that he would be and that this young boy would change Middle Earth. He could see Elrond perhaps not being thrilled with Estel's choice but he wasn’t sure how Gilraen was feeling. He pursed his lips, debating whether or not to tell Estel anything. "What do you know of your father and his death, Estel?" He hated to talk about this but he would let Estel know what was important.

He sighed at the youngster's question. "Yes and no, Estel. It does drive you and push you but if you let it consume you, it will overcome you." He had seen many good people fall because of their hate for the darkness. And he didn’t want this young boy to do so as well. His eyebrow rose at hearing Estel laugh at his suggestion that he wait to start his training. But it wasn’t disrespectful so Celeborn shook his head amusedly.

Estel was certainly wiser than his age and Celeborn saw a peak of himself in that moment. His niece was the boy's ancestor and he seemed to recall both Thingol and Melian telling him that he was wise beyond his years. "No, there is order. I think evil is allowed to exist so that we can depend not only on the Valar but also the good in everyone, as well as depending on those we care for." He saw that every day and knew that evil would be overcome, though the consequences could still be devastating. The destruction of Beleriand at the end of the War of Wrath was proof of that.

He sighed and closed his eyes painfully. "No, I did not cause her harm but she was on her way from here to visit my wife and I. That makes me partly responsible, does it not?" But he shook his head sadly to clear those thoughts. Now was not a night for self-pity. He murmured softly, "I wouldn’t be so sure that the Dark Lord is the only one they listen to."

Estel grew more excited when he heard that Galadriel was indeed coming and Celeborn chuckled. It was nice to know that he was not the only that was eager to see his wife. He frowned thoughtfully at hearing Elrond was troubled. "Only partially, young one. Imladris seems a bit like my second home at times." His eyes twinkled. "Of course, the library here is quite nice. As is the company I find." He nodded at Estel's apologies. "It is perfectly natural for you to worry about Elrond, young one. For I do as well." He grinned at hearing his wife being praised. "Indeed she is. Did you know that she was originally known as Artanis?" He thought the boy might like the story.

He smiled at hearing that the boy wanted to know about the outskirts and how to enter Lothlorien. "There is no real best way to enter and they can certainly be dangerous if you have ill-intentions." He chuckled. "I know that you have pure intentions, Estel, and you are pure of heart."

Estel/Aragorn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
The young boy was very happy at the reception of his unwavering will to become more knowledgeable with time. His smile grew after Celeborn's nodding. For a reason he couldn't pick on, Estel felt the need to rearrange his position at his chair. "Yes, I know. Almost everywhere I turn there is a reply to a question from the simplest to the most complex. If I know how to ask right, I never find myself without a very satisfying answer. That's not different with you as well, Lord Celeborn. And father… Well… He certainly is special too in many ways…" He replied enthusiastically. It was all true. He was just so glad he had all that to share in. He felt very honored, each time more, with every little thing anyone decided to grant him.

Estel let out a small laugh at his own expense. He really had not understood that Celeborn had spoken in jest previously. He also always believed sort of blindly in all his elders, especially the really old Elven kind like Celeborn. They had never been anything but friendly to him. It was very possible that he might have some problems once he left Imladris to deal with the big bad world, where people actually lie sometimes just for the sake of it. "Thank you so much. I hope so too. If I am to be honest… I just wouldn't like to waste everything I am being given here by father specially and the others too by leading a life that… means nothing. I want to help people who are in a worse situation than myself, if I am able." He replied truthfully. That which he wanted the least was to feel like a failure at his foster father's and his mother's eyes. Maybe he was still a bit too young to feel such responsibility, but he did nonetheless.

Estel looked at Celeborn hopefully when he asked about what the boy knew about his birth father. Maybe he might finally know a bit more about him or not. "Well, I know he was a decent man and that Orcs killed him because of it. That's pretty much everything I know, Lord Celeborn. I mean… I don't pry my mother. I know she still suffers. I guess anyone who has lost a spouse like she did would. I have noticed some things, but I can't really say yes or no to any of them as being the truth. So I wait until either mother or father feel ready to tell me more about my birth father. I do think though he was someone good. Mother wouldn't have a child with someone who wasn't good. I know that much for sure…" Estel shared his thoughts innocently and humbly. He didn't know much about Arathorn. He didn't even know his name and he thought better not to touch the subject not to hurt Gilraen. He though was obviously curious to know more about his origins if he could. He was a kid still and undying curiosity is the mark of youth.

Estel didn't understand the sigh at first. His thoughts seemed just so clear and right to his young mind, but he would surely abide to the greater wisdom he knew Celeborn possessed and heard his words with attention. He didn't understand very well what he meant. The kid looked down at his feet for a moment, as if in shame, but he was actually trying to process what he had just heard. "You mean like… huh… You can draw strength from it, but in the end it's not enough? Like, you know… Hate doesn't cure hate or something like that? I mean… I don't know exactly what I mean, but if there is something right in what I've just said… Lord Celeborn, do you know what can cure hate?" He tried to show what he had managed to grasp from the Elf Lord's words and finished with a question that was pounding in his head after his reasoning. Could something in this world cure Sauron's hate?

Estel was both relieved and glad that Celeborn also thought there was some order to the world, that things were leading to some place even if nobody on Middle-Earth actually knew what was meant to be. Then something hit him and the surprise was clear in his countenance. "So you think… love can cure hate? If we are to depend on those we care for to resist the evils of the world it means that, doesn't it? The bonds that make people not give up on each other… Yeah… I think I understand that… a bit." He said with the same innocence as before as he brought a hand up to scratch his forehead for a moment as he tried to really absorb that. Those thoughts and words would stay inside his mind for a long time until the day came in which they realized themselves like a self-fulfilling prophecy, born of friendship and love for nothing else was ever truly needed.

Estel just knew Celeborn was in pain. He had seen his mother with that exact expression before too many times not to know what it meant by now. "I don't think so. I mean… if she loved you like a daughter is meant to love her father, it is just normal that she would want to see you whenever she could. What was bad was the Orcs getting in the way. It is their fault for disturbing everyone's lives. It is like their only purpose in existing is making people suffer by taking that which is dear to them. No. No. You cannot be at fault!" The boy said what he believed in within his heart though he wasn't sure it would help Celeborn or not. He hoped it would.

The boy was puzzled by Celeborn's next words and it showed in his countenance. Actually he was still not very good at disguising his feelings from appearing exactly as they were in his facial expressions. "Huh… Who else could order Orcs around?" He just let the question leave his lips as he tried to think of an answer, but he came up blank. No story ever heard or book so far read could shed a light on who that could be.

Estel nodded as Celeborn spoke. "I understand why it would be. It is a very homely place, plus you have family here." The boy said innocently to his remark about Imladris being like a second home. "Yeah. I am never going to be able to read all those books, so I am trying to be more picky about the ones I choose… unless I am handed one. Then I read that one. Because it is appropriate for my age and all that…" He said knowing that the amount of time necessary to go through all of the library's exemplars would surely exceed any mortal's lifetime. He had to get as much information from as little quantity of books as possible and Erestor had been helping him in picking the ones that fulfilled his requests when Elrond didn't himself. I was very welcome to know that he wasn't being just a foolish kid worrying about his foster father. He offered a shinning smile as a thank you.

At the prospect of an interesting story about the past, Estel's smile grew ten fold as if that was still possible. "No, Lord Celeborn. I've never heard that. To me she has always been Galadriel, which is a beautiful name that I suppose fits her well. But so does Artanis. Why did she change her name? Was there a problem with the old one?" Probably it wasn't wise to pry into his wife's personal life and possible old problems, but Estel was curious and Celeborn had practically offered himself to tell the story already by mentioning his wife's previous name. He just decided that he was in safe territory and it wouldn't be a problem asking. Even if it was, what is done is done after all.

Estel smiled again as he heard Celeborn explain that there was no secret or better entrance to Lothlórien and that he was pure of heart. It was always good to hear that, no matter your current age. He would need some reassurance on that once he knew the whole truth about himself, but for now he was just glad to be seen in such a light by someone so wise and important. "So if I keep myself the way I am, then it is all good for when I am old enough to travel that way?" He asked, though the answer had already been given, but he wanted to be very sure.

Celeborn

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Thanks For Sharing
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
If there was one thing that was more important in life according to Celeborn, except for love, it was learning. As an Elf, it meant learning a lot but also that one did not have to learn everything at once. Being immortal meant you could learn what you wanted at the pace you wanted, though the tutors at the court of Elu Thingol seemed to think otherwise with his learning. But that was to be expected. He was after all one of Thingol's only great-nephews, except Galadriel's brothers. And they didn’t come until Celeborn and Galathil were much older and done with their formal learning. His lips twitched at how Estel described Elrond. "Indeed he is, little one." Special? Oh dear. He had a feeling that Galadriel would be most amused by that.

The young boy finally laughed at Celeborn's joke and he figured that perhaps he should not use subtle sarcasm quite as much as he did. People often took his sarcasm to be the truth and that could easily cause problems, especially when Galadriel wasn’t around to hold his tongue or sooth both him and their guest. He smiled kindly. "Just learn what you can and listen to your elders and before you know it, you'll be able to do what you were meant to do." Celeborn was one of the few that knew who exactly Estel was and what he could possibly mean to Middle Earth, and he would let Elrond tell the boy about it when the time came.

He listened to Estel talk about what he knew about his father, nodding along with it. "That is correct. I did not know your father personally, but Elrond has told me that he was a good man and loved both you and your mother. What you said about his death is also true, Estel." He considered again how much he should say and realized that it was best if his son-in-law talked more about Arathorn. "For now, is that not enough to know about him? Lord Elrond will tell you more when he feels is right."

He could almost see the boy thinking about his words. "Yes. You need more than hate that drives you or else you become what you are fighting against. You become no better than the orcs and trolls that plague Middle Earth." He tried to keep his voice gentle but there was this flame in his eyes that showed he truly believed his words. He mulled over Estel's question about what could cure hate and was about to answer when the youngster seemed to come to the same answer as him and he gave a grin. "I think it can. Love is something that I'm not sure the orcs and trolls can even really comprehend." Oh, his love for Galadriel could do wonders for him and his feelings towards others. It made his dislike for Dwarves lessen considerably, or at least tempered it to be not as noticeable.

He watched the boy's speech about how it wasn’t his fault with sad eyes. But he did bring up a good point, one that Celeborn didn’t really wish to share his thoughts on: that the orcs only purpose was to bring death and destruction. Was that not what Morgoth bred them for? Why he changed and twisted Elves for his army? Estel was puzzled by his question and Celeborn mused out loud, more to himself than anything. "Who, indeed…" He had some suspicions, but that was all they were: suspicions. Maybe he could speak to Galadriel about it and see what she said.

He simply smiled and let Estel speak about Imladris, amused by how much the boy spoke. At being asked about why Galadriel changed her name, his smile grew softer. "She changed her name when I gave her currently one to her. She came to the court of my great-uncle and her hair seemed to give her a crown of radiance, so when we courted, I bestowed that name on her and she accepted it." His smile was wistful as he remembered that time. He did nod at Estel's question about entering Lothlorien. "Indeed."

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Galadriel: thread starter for Celeborn/Becca <3
    August 19, 2020, 11:22:12 AM
  • Ristiinna: Checking in on Arthfael with Ristiinná...
    August 03, 2020, 04:31:47 PM
  • Dory: Plotter tag for Elladan/Hera! <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:53:20 AM
  • Galadriel: Plotter tag for Cirdan/Guiga! <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:30:20 AM
  • Gard: For Guiga [link]
    July 24, 2020, 06:54:05 PM
  • Gard: For Ari! [link]
    July 22, 2020, 02:52:00 PM
  • Nienna: for Gard! [link] let me know if anything needs edits...
    July 20, 2020, 04:15:22 AM
  • Nienna: Far too long, but I should have more free time now: [link]
    July 18, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
  • Nauroval: Reply for Shadowfax and Annúngilel [link]
    July 17, 2020, 07:37:07 PM
  • Nienna: for Thranduil [link]
    July 17, 2020, 01:14:38 AM
  • Gandalf: Reply for Shadowfax [link]
    July 12, 2020, 08:21:28 AM
  • Ari: Reply for Gard and Marbys! [link]
    July 12, 2020, 07:56:59 AM
  • Annúngilel: Reply for Nauroval and Shadowfax [link]