Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

* Awards

* Donate

Author Topic: [Hobbit + LotR] Here we will endure  (Read 819 times)

Thranduil

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Whitney
Here we will endure
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »
Generally, Thranduil is not one to entertain many visitors.  While elves are always welcome in the Woodland Realm (unless they’ve given him reason to say otherwise), that does not mean an audience with the king is any guarantee.  He is more hospitable with his own subjects, though he does not appreciate unwelcome intrusions, even from those he considers a part of his inner circle.  Yet those who have earned his trust and friendship are treated as honored guests, gifted with all his best hospitality.

When it comes to the other races, though, he is far less welcoming, and uninvited trespassers are just as likely to earn themselves a welcome in his dungeons as they are to receive his hospitality.  Dwarves in particular are generally unwelcome and will not be received kindly.  He is more friendly towards certain men.  The men of Lake-town have earned the right to pass within his realm on occasion, though they would be wise not to abuse such leniency; good fences make good neighbors, after all.  The Dunedain are also welcome, as Thranduil holds them in higher regard than the diminished men of other realms. 

Servants of the enemy and all those with dark purpose will not live long should they intrude upon the Woodland Realm.  They should expect no mercy from Thranduil.  Unlike some other elves who possess more wisdom, the Elvenking is most likely not interested in what you have to say.  Orcs, spiders, and evil men alike should expect to be put to the sword without hesitation.

After the Battle of the Five Armies, the Woodland Realm becomes a bit more hospitable, particularly concerning the men of Dale and to a lesser degree, the Dwarves of Erebor.  Thranduil isn't likely to turn away his new neighbors out of hand, but that doesn't mean he welcomes them wholeheartedly either.  He'll let you in, but he really does just want you to leave... Really, isn't it enough that he's letting you use the road now?

Becca

• OOC
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Becca
Re: Here we will endure
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 04:24:00 AM »
So I have currently three characters that I can think of as interacting the most likely with Thranduil.

Celeborn & Thranduil: So these two would have known each other from way back in Doriath and while I'm not sure their exact relationship would be, I think perhaps Cel would have viewed Thranduil as almost a younger brother? And while they have likely grown apart, he likely still views his neighbor with some amount of affection.

Elrond & Thranduil: These two have a little weaker connection but Elrond would gladly welcome Thranduil in Imladris (though to be honest there are very few not welcome there).

Hithwion & Thranduil: Now these two will be far easier to RP since Hithwion is a hunter in Mirkwood and fairly loyal to his King. He'd be more than willing to take care of any unwanted guests that Thranduil might have (spiders or otherwise >.>).

I also have numerous other Elves from Rivendell and two sort of from Lothlorien (including one who settled in Doriath after crossing the Grinding Ice) and numerous other characters if there are any that strike your fancy?

Thranduil

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 06:44:32 PM »
Yaay all the plots!

Celeborn & Thranduil:  Right from the start I had the impression that Celeborn was one of a select few that Thranduil has genuine respect for.  Celeborn (and Galadriel, of course) would always be welcome to visit the Woodland Realm at any time.  I think Thranduil would be more reluctant to go out visiting during the later years of the third age seeing how aggressive the spiders are becoming.  There's also the possibility of setting something during the War of the Ring or the years leading up to it. 

Elrond & Thranduil:  A much more professional kind of relationship, I think. :)   Thranduil is probably inclined to be more formal and standoffish where Elrond is concerned.   Not that that's unusual compared to how he treats others...

Hithwion & Thranduil: I bet I could come up with something that Hithwion can do for Thranduil.  Though since I'm sneaking in to write this while at work, I'll have to ponder it a bit more when I have a moment.

Varda

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 02:11:44 AM »
Celeborn & Thranduil: Is there any plot/thread you'd like to start between these two?

Elrond & Thranduil: lol I can't imagine it being otherwise.

Hithwion &Thranduil: Cool. Let me know what. I'm game for pretty much anything.

Ella-Mithrellas

• Archived
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Ella
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:00:38 PM »
Mithrellas && Thranduil Finally! After getting a chance to breathe, I can hit up some plotters, and Thranduil’s was the first on my list. While Mithrellas’ mother originally comprised part of the Elven guard in Mirkwood during the time that Dol Guldor’s effects were felt by the forest, Mithrellas herself was born in Lothlorien, so it’s unlikely she ever actually met Thranduil, especially since she was quite young when she attempted to sail west with Nimrodel. I know that the story of Nimrodel was more widely told in Mirkwood as opposed to Lothlorien, though, so Thranduil might be somewhat familiar with Mithrellas.

That being said, after centuries spent at sea, between trying to reach Valinor through some rather unscrupulous means, and raiding Gondor’s coasts when she realized failure was all that lay in store for her, Mithrellas was brought to Mirkwood in the aftermath of Sauron’s ultimate defeat, and is currently imprisoned in Thranduil’s dungeons there. I don’t think Lothlorien had any means of imprisoning people, otherwise I’d imagine it would have been better for Gandalf to send Gollum there after he was interrogated by Sauron’s forces, so I choose Mirkwood as a holding pin.

I think a thread between Mithrellas and Thranduil on the grounds of her charges and how best to deal with them might be a good way to go, but how to approach it, I’m not entirely sure. I don’t think Thranduil would deign to set foot in the dungeons to converse with her, and I highly doubt Mithrellas would be worthy enough of an audience in light of what she’s done, so I’ll let you decide how best to go about this. I’m pretty flexible, both with regard to the route you choose to take, and the outcome.

Thranduil

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:21:18 AM »
Mithrellas & Thranduil: I have a few potential scenarios,  I think, but I did have a couple of questions that would help me narrow down how best to approach a scene between these two.  Thranduil is not opposed to speaking with prisoners, particularly if he has some interest in them, and few things are as unusual and interesting as an elf that has fallen so far.  But the direction of that interest depends on the answers to these questions.

1) Who brought her to Mirkwood/who asked Thranduil to imprison her?

2) And to what end has she been imprisoned? Is Thranduil just meant to be keeping hold of her until her fate is decided elsewhere?  Is he meant to decide her fate himself?

If either of these are already answered in your app, I apologize!  I checked, but it's also very, very late and my brain is very tired.

Ella-Mithrellas

• Archived
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:00:55 PM »
Mithrellas && Thranduil That’s fine, Whit. I didn’t actually go into too much detail at the concluding part of Mithrellas’ history, because I’d written so much at that point, I was running out of steam, but I have been thinking about it in the meantime.

Mithrellas was involved in a, shall we say, skirmish centuries back, where she attempted to reach Valinor on another Elven ship, but failed in her attempts to do so, before turning on the crew. One of the crew members survived the assault, an Elven child who would have been from Mirkwood, and would have certainly remembered, and remembered the person responsible. By the time of the events, or the concluding events, of the War of the Ring, that child would have long since reached adulthood.

At this time, Mithrellas was fleeing the aftermath, but after centuries of being at sea, navigating actual steady land would have hindered her, and while thinking she was running south, she would have ended up running north. If memory serves me, there was a battle at Dol Guldur during the War of the Ring, and it’s highly likely, struggling to navigate the landscape as she was, that Mithrellas ran right into it as the dust was beginning to settle on the Elvish victory.

The child she allowed to escape was one of the soldiers that was present at the battle, and positively identified her, and as someone who had actually slain five, and attempted to kill six of her own kin, she’d have been taken prisoner on the spot. Mirkwood would be a ‘prison of convenience’, but because Mithrellas would have killed elves that had originated from the Woodland Realm as well, it would make her a target of their own judicial system too, I’d imagine. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:01:50 PM by Mithrellas »

Thranduil

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 03:17:13 AM »
Mithrellas & Thranduil:  So sorry it took so long to reply!  I managed to get myself all distracted and nonsense!  But, I also did take some time to think this over, so I'm ready!

First, thank you for the explanation.  Makes perfect sense!

I don't know that Thranduil would quite know what to do with Mithrellas, which is fair because I struggle with it as well.   I had to put a lot of thought into it, but I think I know where I want to go with it.  Thranduil can have her brought up to the throne room.  He wants to hear what she has to say.  Does that sound like something that would work?

Ella-Mithrellas

• Archived
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »
Mithrellas && Thranduil No worries, Whit. Yeah, that sounds good to me, do you want to start the thread, or shall I?

arasseth

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: planxty
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 05:35:39 PM »
I've got one of your loyal subjects over here!

It probably goes without saying that Arasseth has the deepest respect and admiration for Thranduil...and also a little bit intimidated.  He probably knows her mother better, she's been around much longer and does important things like killing giant spiders n stuff.  Ara doesn't really do important things, she's mostly just young and frivolous.

Thranduil

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 02:01:56 AM »
I think we can figure something out with Arasseth.

Thranduil does tend to hold himself at a professional distance from most of those who aren't in his immediate circle, so I think a chance meeting of some sort would be more doable.  Any thoughts? I can probably come up with a reason for Thranduil to be wherever he needs to be.

Though I do always leave my usual disclaimer...  He's not very nice most of the time. :)

Celeborn

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Becca
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 05:30:40 AM »

Tags: