Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

* Awards

* Donate

Author Topic: Buddy System  (Read 4509 times)

Ulmo

• Administrator
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Cass
  • Tracker: Plotter
Buddy System
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:35:48 AM »

Whether you’re new to The Hobbit Roleplay, or to roleplay generally, you might benefit from our buddy system.  Here you can find one of our friendly members to act as your personal guide.  Members and staff alike endeavour to answer any questions asked in the cbox, and the Questions & Suggestions board is open to all – including guests – but it’s always nice to have a buddy! 

Mentees

What’s great is that anyone can apply to be mentored!  This system has been introduced with new folks in mind but it’s also open to those who are returning from hiatus, are naturally shy or have struggled to develop plots.  Aspiring mentees do not have to have a character approved but will need to have signed up for their OOC account.

Whenever a mentee feels ready, they can graduate from ‘current’ to ‘past’ mentee.  This is by no means the end of the friendship between buddies!  It simply means the mentee has reached a stage where they are comfortable, confident and require less guidance (though rest assured your mentor’s inbox will remain open to you).  It also frees up the mentor to take on another mentee.

Becoming a Mentee

So you want to buddy up?  Great!  All you need to do is browse our mentor list, select at least one but no more than two mentors and post your choice(s) using the form below.  Please only select those mentors whose statuses are showing as open.  Alternatively, if you have no preference, staff can assign a mentor to you.

Once you’re paired up, you’re welcome to message your mentor(s) if you wish.  Should you choose not to, they will contact you to break the ice.  You can then approach them at any time to seek advice, chat about THRP or plot.  Remember, each buddy pairing is unique!  In the highly unlikely event your mentor doesn’t contact you within a week of confirmation, please either notify a staff member or post below and we’ll see about getting you another.

Code: [Select]
[b]Name:[/b]  Your OOC name.
[b]Preferred Mentor(s):[/b]

Mentors

Mentors are established members of THRP, who can help others learn the ropes and assist with character creation.  They will also aim, where possible, to get individuals started in the roleplay by offering one or more of their characters to plot and thread with.

Becoming a Mentor

•  You must have been a member of THRP for at least four months.
•  You must have at least one approved character.

Be mindful that mentors are expected to:

•  Subscribe to this thread by clicking the ‘notify’ button above or otherwise keep up-to-date with those seeking mentors.
•  Commit to messaging mentees within a week of being paired.
•  Message their mentee a second time if they don’t respond within a week.  If that message also goes unanswered for a week, to then notify a staff member and be unpaired.
•  Contact a staff member should questions arise they feel unequipped to answer, or issues arise they are either unable or unwilling to help with.  Staff are always here to provide mentors with assistance and support.
•  Respond to your mentee(s) promptly.  Real life comes first but reply as quickly as able, mentees are counting on mentors to be there for them!
•  Do their utmost to help mentees with character creation, plotting and (where possible) offer them a thread to get them established in the roleplay.
•  To review their pairings every four months following confirmation, to see if their mentee is ready to graduate from ‘current’ to ‘past’ mentee.  This can also be initiated by the mentee whenever they feel ready.
•  To be aware that buddies can of course communicate off-site, using instant messenger or e-mail, but only if both parties are comfortable and desire it.

Our Lovely Mentors

Pip
Name Benjy
Status Open
Current Mentees 0/2:
Past Mentees N/A
About Well hey there my names Benjy *waves*, I’ve been roleplaying for around ten years. And have been a part of the hobbit roleplay for six months give or take! Im kind, understanding and full of crazy ideas for things! Im currently studying a television production degree at Glyndwr university! Creativity is where my brain sits most of the time and Role playing has been my life since I was about 14! I enjoy all aspects of role playing and find myself creating new characters more and more (I know I have some serious issues there XD
Characters

Aeron, Duinhir, Emmerich

Plotting Interests So im equal plots kind of guy, i like anything from dark angsty to fluffy little romance numbers! i do love a good action scene, Brother hood and family themes are some of my favotites to explore, because after all what are we without family right? but im not one of these people who only do straight romance threads or themes im open to near enough anything love wise for everybody Bar emmerich who allready has a lady friend (That my own wonderfull grilfriend The allmighty pip <3 is apping) But bar that Duinhir and Aeron are both open fields XD
Joined Six months ago and i couldent have chosen a better site!
Image Credit Tumblr
Cass
Name Cass
Status Open
Current Mentees 1/2: Kay
Past Mentees N/A
About Dwarf hoarder and mermaid. I am an avid tea drinker, baker and gamer who hails from Northern Ireland and loves the outdoors.
Characters

Aesa, Andar, Ashar, Ástir, Damel, Faramir, Fíli, Haleth, Ivorak, Kvasir, Liv, Loire, Morvoren, Muunokhoi, Rorion, Veizla, Vex

Plotting Interests My interests are varied – I love angst and fluff, feels both good and bad. Adventure is always fun, particularly when it goes awry! It might also be worth stating I have no qualms in engaging in mature threads, as long as their content feeds into plot or character development.
Joined I’ve been on THRP since its beginning in January 2013.
Image Credit Bev Johnson
Dutch
Name Dutch
Status Open
Current Mentees 0/2:
Past Mentees Telish
About Far from an expert on LOTR lore, I’m here to offer my services as a roleplayer with around 15 years of experience. I have degrees in creative writing and literary interpretation, and this sorta stuff is my true passion. Outside of that I’m an American chef who works a lot and tends to be around when the rest of the site is sound asleep.
Characters

Grawn, Maelúthien

Plotting Interests Anything and everything! I utilize a more visceral style with an adult audience in mind, but within that I’m up for whatever ya’ll might want to explore. Love me a good romance, fight, or anything dramatic and exciting.
Joined 9/01/2015.
Image Credit Junling @ deviantart
Gard
Name Gard
Status Open
Current Mentees 0/2:
Past Mentees N/A
About I'm gaining a reputation (already have it?) for taking on very young characters. Three children of Men under the age of 12 currently. :) Adults too, just young there also ^^. A contender in the Dwarf owning ranks in that they take up most of my other half, though quite a few outrank me. I don't own, or plan to, any Elves, just for my own not feeling I could do them justice but will happily plot with them where applicable/it works.
Characters

Bilbo Baggins, Dagmar, Friór, Fritz, Gard, Kargach, Líknví, Nauroval, Nyx, Saga, Sofia, Wesley III

Plotting Interests Adventure, Casual Interactions, Family Interactions, Friend Interactions.
Joined March 19, 2013.
Image Credit Bob Manley
Pip
Name Marbys
Status Open
Current Mentees 0/1:
Past Mentees N/A
About I'm a computer engineer for 10 years who now just went back to college to course Creative Writing, Literature and Language in both Portuguese and English. I'm almost halfway through this new endeavor and loving every minute of it. I think I might be one of the oldest members of the site, age wise, at 33 currently. Anyway, you'll see my mind is still very creative, open and agile. I blame RPing since I was 16 for that. As English is not my native language, you might notice I adhere too much to the standard form of it sometimes, it's just because it's the only English I know. I'm not picky about it though. Just saying so you don't feel scared by my first PMs probably being too formal. It's not that at all. Happy joining and hopefully you'll love this place and I can help you get started.
Characters

Annúngilel, Arahin, Brego, Cefren, Dáin Ironfoot, Estel/Aragorn, Kéra, Sauron

Plotting Interests If you take a look at my characters, you'll see kids, giant birds and the current master of all evil Sauron himself are all part of my repertoire. I love all kinds of characters from the naive ones to the cursed ones and everything in between. You want to be nasty? I can get you started. You want to be a hardworking Rohirrim or ranger of the north? Check. A bad ass Dwarf under the one and only Dain Ironfoot? Check. Join this boat and prepare for any kind of ride. Here we go from subtle deceit to openly loving in a heartbeat. You decide where you want to go.
Joined Wow. Long time ago since 11-04-2013. It's close to three years now.....
Image Credit Tumblr (The Lord Of The Rings Gifs)
Pip
Name Pip
Status Open
Current Mentees 0/2:
Past Mentees Benjy
About Probably classed as the resident hoarder – I like to write, make graphics, talk nonsense about shows. I'm a major food fan, so all bakers and chefs welcome at my door at all meal times.
Characters

Adair, Alaric, Annis, Bombur, Boromir, Cephas, Elrania, Filmore Took, Gethin, Gigra, Hallbjörn, Ioreth, Lainon, Legolas, Morty, Njördr, Róza, Ruairmli, Ruby Goodbody, Sebastian, Séla, Vark

Plotting Interests I'm all for angst, and some dark stuff – but I'm happy with fluff and just general cute threads that one might want. I have an array of characters with an array of personalities that cover the range of threads.
Joined December 2013.
Image Credit Teddy Kelley
Whitney
Name Whitney
Status Open
Current Mentees 1/2: Andromeda
Past Mentees N/A
About I’ve got a whopping (almost) 20 years of RP experience in various forms (hello AOL chat rooms!) spanning a number of different fandoms. Specific to Tolkien, I’m most well versed in elvish lore, though I’ve also got a good foundation of general knowledge. I’ve got a degree in history and I volunteer full time for my local Japanese culture and anime convention. This generally limits my free time around the month of May, but otherwise I’m fairly easy to find.
Characters

Bowen, Dwalin, Eadlyn, Elrohir, Gwaehadron, Thranduil, Tinuvagor, Togh Tor Scathas

Plotting Interests I’m generally up for anything! I’m less fond of intense action scenes, and tend to prefer conversation or character focused scenes, though I also enjoy some good fluff and humor as well.
Joined February 2015
Image Credit Whitney herself

Please fill and post this form to become a mentor:

[b]Name:[/b]  Your OOC name.
[b]Mentee Count:[/b]  The maximum number of members you are happy to mentor.  You will be able to change this, and update other aspects of your mentor profile, at any time by posting in this thread or notifying staff.
[b]About:[/b]  A short blurb about yourself, as a person or as a roleplayer.
[b]Plotting interests:[/b]  Do you have any preferences?  Romance?  Adventure?  Sibling relationships?  Rivalry?  Any particular themes you like to explore?
[b]Joined:[/b]  Self-explanatory, whenever you joined THRP!
[b]Image URL:[/b]  A picture measuring at least 500x100 pixels that can be used to make your profile header.  Where possible, please also include a link or name we can credit the image to.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact a mentor or staff member as appropriate.  Good luck and have fun! :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:31:41 PM by Ulmo »

Fíli | Aesa | Kvasir | Andar | Liv | Ivorak | Haleth | Ástir |Damel
Veizla | Vex | Loire | Muunokhoi | Morvoren | Faramir | Rorion | Ashar

Anadwen

Re: Buddy System
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »
Name: Anadwen
Mentee Count: 2
About: Local rabid Fëanorian and Melkor supporter, weapon enthusiast and your daily source of lenny faces, extremely dark humor and angst; absolutely brvtal 5'3" of metalhead, medieval reenactment fan. Fëanorian expert, I draw and will rant with you if you want. I like elves, dark lords, long hair, armor, and leather. I don't make characters too frequently, but when I do, their profiles are longer than Lúthien's hair.
Plotting interests: Drama and action nut. I'm not one for romantic plots unless they end in disaster, fluff and sweetness falls on dry and infertile ground here. On the other hand, what I can and will do is complicated plots, drama, plot twists (with the worst results), action, fighting, as well as a certain degree of humor. I have a preference for conflicted and morally grey characters and do not at all like writing the goodie-two-shoes, although plotting with those is... Fairly... Interesting. I like breaking characters (mainly my own, but if you need a service, call me). I will plot all the disaster, death, woe and darkness with you - I came to eat peaches and make up extremely dark plots and I'm all outta peaches.
Image URL:  https://40.media.tumblr.com/5dd89fde54da58b8d17180de10bd6574/tumblr_nvlyk7YGRI1rj1dkwo1_540.jpg (vivialic on tumblr) or https://40.media.tumblr.com/b0b8b3b05dd3920bf3da973cf7033ba3/tumblr_o5a215SS2p1rrjmgoo1_540.jpg (art-of-swords on tumblr)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:09:37 PM by Anadwen »

Ulmo

• Administrator
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:42:16 AM »
You've been added to the list, Ana! ~

Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:14:50 AM »
Name:  Bee
Preferred Mentor(s): Anyone who can help direct me.

Anadwen

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:11:52 AM »
I'll BEE your mentor ;)

Dutch

• OOC-Mentors
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:02:09 PM »
Name:  Dutch

Mentee Count:  2

About: Far from an expert on LOTR lore, I’m here to offer my services as a roleplayer with around 15 years of experience. I have degrees in creative writing and literary interpretation, and this sorta stuff is my true passion. Outside of that I’m an American chef who works a lot and tends to be around when the rest of the site is sound asleep.

Plotting interests:  Anything and everything! I utilize a more visceral style with an adult audience in mind, but within that I’m up for whatever ya’ll might want to explore. Love me a good romance, fight, or anything dramatic and exciting.

ImageURL:

[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/maxwell1272/Profile/pacific_rim_striker_eureka_by_junling-d6kepw9_zpsggqvf5u1.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://junling.deviantart.com/] Junling @ deviantart[/url]

Ulmo

• Administrator
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
You've been added Dutch! <3  And Ana and Bee have been paired up. ~

Telish

• OOC
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Telish
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 04:49:28 AM »
Hello! If possible I would like a mentor! :D Dutch has been mighty helpful so far So if possible may I requests the Dutch? :) Let me know! Thank you!

Dutch

• OOC-Mentors
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 04:56:08 AM »
Hello! If possible I would like a mentor! :D Dutch has been mighty helpful so far So if possible may I requests the Dutch? :) Let me know! Thank you!

I gotcha Tel, PM incoming

Nienna

• Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 06:18:06 AM »
Ah, well, Hades may have broken the code, and she may have failed miserably. BUT, Telish has been added to Dutch's table. :)
-

Benjy

• OOC-Mentors
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
I would like to request the amazing pip as my mentor =P 

Name: Benjy
Preferred Mentor(s):Pip!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:41:15 PM by Benjy »

Pip

• OOC-Mentors
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 05:09:34 PM »
I'll happily take you into my mentoring team, Benjy! Expected a PM shortly :D

"I did nothing but run away from the time I was a puppy, and I kept on running and roving until one fine morning - a very fine morning, with the sun in my eyes - I fell over the world's edge chasing a butterfly.”

Nienna

• Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »
Pip is an awesome Mentor, Benjy! <3 You're in grand hands.

[updated table]
-

val

• Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Val
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 06:33:15 PM »
Name:  Val
Preferred Mentor(s): Whoever has time and room

Dutch

• OOC-Mentors
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 01:15:37 AM »
Well if nobody else will step up, I got a free spot if you need some help Val  8)

Plus I noticed we're in the same time zone :3
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:30:46 AM by Dutch »

Tags: