• Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Guiga: Thank you, Gard!!!
    June 03, 2020, 08:56:02 PM
  • Marbys: A short post is better than no post! Lol. Hello to all!!!!!
    June 02, 2020, 11:13:18 PM
  • Estë: Hi!
    June 02, 2020, 09:50:14 PM
  • ruthron_forest_elf: Hello
    June 02, 2020, 08:16:34 PM
  • Morwen Steelsheen: (Also do not worry about the length, Marbys. I will be doing shorter posts for quite some time yet.)
    June 02, 2020, 09:55:57 AM
  • Dory: That starter is so old. MY WRITING LOL. But I'll scratch up a date when I'm able to for you.
    June 02, 2020, 08:02:29 AM
  • Dory: I'm gibbering a 100 different things and feelings right now like I resigned that to a one shot bit omg thank you.
    June 02, 2020, 07:59:43 AM
  • Dory: -faints-
    June 02, 2020, 07:58:46 AM
  • Marbys: Post out!!! Now, I go too.
    June 02, 2020, 05:43:11 AM
  • Marbys: I’m not feeling well tonight. Too sleepy. I’ll finish Thengel’s post tomorrow as it’s not moving right now.
    June 01, 2020, 05:32:07 AM
  • Marbys: Nice to read that, Dory!!!! Welcome back!!!!
    May 31, 2020, 11:09:35 AM
  • Dáin Ironfoot: My internet hiccuped and I've just lost an entire post...
    May 31, 2020, 08:59:21 AM
  • Hera: Good to know. Best wishes, Dory!!!
    May 31, 2020, 01:46:01 AM
  • Dory: Ah nuts, wrong account again. XD
    May 31, 2020, 12:42:21 AM
  • Morwen Steelsheen: Still in recovery but have made a big leap in that with my hands, enough to be working and riding again...which is as hectic. But I fully intend to get to catching up in between ASAP. <3
    May 31, 2020, 12:41:57 AM
  • Gard: Eitherway works for me I'd say and you can come in anytime :)
    May 28, 2020, 02:14:03 PM
  • Ari: and i oop
    May 28, 2020, 12:37:44 PM
  • Shadowfax: Got my post in Marbys. Dunno if Gard would like to post before yours as well? Heh, I suppose both parties could meet halfway, if they're both out wandering.
    May 28, 2020, 12:35:13 PM
  • Marbys: OK, Ari. I think it makes more sense if Ann finds you.
    May 28, 2020, 12:10:19 AM
  • Ari: Marbys, I'd like to get a post out for Shadowfax first (in response to Nauroval) but after that, yeah! Either we find you (Annungilel) or you find us, whatever your preference.
    May 26, 2020, 01:30:47 AM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: A Father's Worry  (Read 2853 times)

Elrond Peredhel

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Becca
  • Application: Plotter
A Father's Worry
« on: February 04, 2016, 05:23:31 AM »
Elrond had seen the twins ride off together a few days ago and was honestly a bit worried about them. He had heard that there were increased numbers of orcs nearby, though Vilya kept them from entering his realm proper. But they did make it dangerous for people to come and this was a place for safety, healing, rest, and learning.

Not that he doubted their skill. Ever since Celebrian had gone missing and found, and sailed, decades ago, the twins had made it their personal quest to rid Middle Earth of as many orcs as they could. He could understand the reasons they felt compelled to do so. He even sometimes wished that he could go join them, though plenty of people would like to remind him that he had duties beyond personal vengeance.

But while he understood their need to do this, he also could not deny that they could be dealing with her sailing in far worse ways than what they were doing now. It was ironic that what caused them the most pain was the most helpful to the rest of the world. If only that was always the case...A figure caught the corner of his eye and he sucked in a breath at the sight of Gil-galad staring at him, almost disappointed, before he disappeared when Elrond blinked.

“My lord Elrond? Your sons are back.” He turned to one of his fellow healers. “Though one of them is injured.” It normally would have amused him that long-term residents that had known the twins all their lives could still not tell them apart, his worry over one of them being injured over-ruled his amusement. ”Have them both be brought to the healing hall, please.” He was sure that he couldn't keep them separated so why bother. At least it didn't sound like they were dying.

Elrohir

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Whitney
  • Plotter: Plotter
Re: A Father's Worry
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 05:54:56 PM »
[ooc:  So you managed to spark my muse... at work.  I should really be mad at you for that, but I'm not. :) ]

Not dying, perhaps, but of a suitably ill temper!  There were few things that could cause Elrohir to treat others with an un-lordly lack of patience, but his embarrassment at coming home wounded coupled with frustration born from failure had put him in a foul temper.  Even as a boy he had placed unrealistic expectations upon himself, a quality that was bad enough when his goals had been clear.  But now, still weighed down by his mother’s sailing, and with his goals unfocused, driven by anger and grief far more than by joyful ambition, he had become something of a shadow of his former scholarly self.   And he knew it.   Knew it so well that it only fueled his frustration, leaving him quick to defend his failings from any perceived slight.  And the broken shaft of an arrow that remained embedded in his left shoulder was more than slight enough to put him squarely on the defensive. 

Bad enough that he’d been wounded at all, but he’d been a damned fool in its earning.   He had allowed himself to be distracted, reading by the firelight as his brother scouted their surroundings.  Some stupid little lordling who wasn’t even minding the fire, let alone being alert of what may be lurking in the darkness beyond.  If Elladan hadn’t returned when he had, things might have been even worse.  Yet more insult added to injury… He’d been rescued by his far more capable brother. 

Upon approaching the healing hall, Elrond would certainly be able to hear the complaints from within.  “I can manage it myself,” Elrohir practically growled, pushing past all of the healers’ attempts to treat him gently.  Many, no doubt, were taken aback by such an uncharacteristic show of temper.  In the past, Elrohir had always been far more accommodating to the treatment of his injuries.  Yet they did as they were told, allowing Elrohir to situate himself in the nearest chair rather than settling into the nearby cot. 

“There was really no need to call father over this,” he complained as he settled in, unable to hide the sharp intake of breath as he jostled his wounded shoulder.  Elladan had seen to it as best he could in the wilds, snapping away half of the arrow shaft and wrapping the wound as tightly as he could manage.  He’d also fashioned a makeshift sling, and despite his mood, Elrohir still wore it; as always he was unable to fully turn his ire upon his brother. 

Elrond Peredhel

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 04:06:19 AM »
Elrond was well acquainted with his sons and their temperaments to be very much aware of the fact they were not the easiest patients for the healers. They were after all more often than not, very similar to he and Elros and he could easily recall times when they both would give those treating them an extremely difficult time treating them.

So it was no surprise that he could hear Elrohir complaining from a fair distance as he approach the healing ward. It did cause him to pause, a slight smirk flitting across his lips before he resumed his journey to see his son. He had the feeling that he would not let anyone else look at him except him, and even then he would not be happy about. Not that a patient being happy in that matter truly mattered. And he had the advantage of being not only Lord of Imladris but Elrohir's father.

He did have to wonder if he ever gave Maglor and Maedhros heart attacks with his shenanigans. He and Elros had the playing tricks on people who did not know they were twins routine down quite well. And those that did know still had trouble with telling them apart. Much like his sons. Of course, he knew most of their tricks, having done the same to others.

He entered the room as Elrohir took a sharp intake of breath along with the insistence that his presence was not needed. He raised an eyebrow at his son, taking in the sling and the signs of some sort of shoulder injury, and the fact that he was not laying down. ”What happened, Elrohir?” He moved into the room, eyes still on the shoulder that his son injured. But he would wait to actually do anything until he heard what exactly happened.

Elrohir

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »
As always, those complaints had not been intended for his father’s ears and upon realizing that Elrond had heard him behaving like a child, Elrohir had the good sense to feel more than a little ashamed of himself.  What kind of lord would take out his anger at himself on those who bore none of the fault?  Yet even so, he was reluctant to answer his father’s question.  In the general sense, ‘what happened’ was obvious enough.  He’d been wounded.  Was there any real need for his father to know he’d been wounded due to his own foolishness?  That such a wound could have been easily avoided had he been paying any mind to his surroundings? 

Unbidden, the thought entered his own mind that acting the part of a child would do very little to encourage Elrond to think of him as more than just a boy… to recognize that he was a man grown and not still simply some petulant child.

With a heavy sigh, he let his anger bleed away, and with it went the adrenaline that had been holding weariness and pain at bay.  Despite doing his best to hide it, Elrohir seemed to suddenly sit more heavily in the chair, relying on the piece of furniture to hold him up more than his own strength.   Even so, he pushed that weariness aside long enough to carefully ease his arm out of the makeshift sling, wincing at the sharp pains that shot through his wounded shoulder. “It was just an arrow,” he offered as explanation.   Already he attempted to minimize the danger of the situation.  The last thing he ever wanted was to cause his father to worry.

He made some effort to shrug his way out of his bloodied tunic so that Elrond might more easily get at the wound, but his shoulder protested sharply, and Elrohir thought better of his plans almost immediately.  “Elladan bound it,” he went on, skipping the part about just how he’d ended up with an arrow in his shoulder.  “But the head still need to come out.  He thought it better left to your skills.” 

Upon inspection of the wound, Elrond would indeed find the arrowhead still embedded in Elrohir’s shoulder, a few inches of the shaft still exposed before reaching the point where it had been snapped in half.  The wound itself had been hurriedly cleaned before it had been bound, but it had bled more since then, coloring the wrappings red.  The flesh was only faintly discolored, infection momentarily held at bay by the athelas pressed somewhat messily into the wound.

Elrond Peredhel

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 04:15:43 AM »
Had it not been for the fact that his son was injured, Elrond might be almost amused by his son's petulance over needing medical attention. As it was though, Elrond gave Elrohir a slightly sharp look at hearing his son say it was only an arrow. ”An arrow that could hit something vital, such as an organ or major artery, Elrohir!” But he wasn't exactly angry at his son, despite what his slightly harsh tone might indicate. It was mostly how lightly Elrohir seemed to be taking a potentially serious injury.

He gave a frown as he started to unwrap the binding, with his son neglecting to say exactly how he got his wound. ”How did you get an arrow in your shoulder, ion nin?” His tone was still slightly sharp, though mostly because Elrond was in healer-mode, business-like and serious. Though his tone did have some worry. Depending on how he got it, there could be a chance for poison or infection. He made sure that as he was unwrapping the binding he kept from jostling the wound, not wanting the arrowhead to go deeper in the wound.

As he was able to finally view the wound, he frowned at the state it was in. Some of the shaft was still sticking out, which he assumed from how it was bound, and there was signs of some recent bleeding. Plus, the wound had a minor infection, though the presence of atheleas had kept it from getting worse. He nodded in slight approval of Elladan's care before he turned his attention to the wound. He used a little bit of his power to see how close the point was to anything vital while he weighed his options as to whether he wanted to dig it out or shove it the rest of the way through.

Elrohir

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
Elrohir flinched at the scolding, but it also served the purpose of draining the last remnants of the fight out of him, at least for the moment. Instead, he couldn’t help be look a bit sad, or possibly even disappointed. A part of him wanted to ask if this was how Elrond would have treated any other wounded soldier, but he knew already the answer to that question, and he felt immediately selfish for thinking it. It was not very charitable of him to fail to consider his father’s feelings on the matter.  After all, he was not any other soldier in his father’s eyes, no matter how much he resented being scolded in public.

Though it was still not nearly so serious as all that.  He certainly wouldn’t die from it!

His gaze shifted away from his father, peering down at his own hands where they sat clasped in his lap. No doubt Elrond was disappointed in him.  Of course he would be; Elrohir was disappointed in himself. Whatever specifics were involved with the injury were unimportant in that regard. Elrohir was well-trained enough to know better than to let his guard down while in the wilds and he had paid the price for it.

It was far too tempting to answer his father’s question with sarcasm.  As if there were so very many ways to end up with an arrow in his shoulder.  Yet it was still the keen sting of humiliation that prompted such a desire, and Elrohir was enough of a master of himself that he knew it well.  Still, a question asked in such a tone as one might have asked a child how it was he was late for supper or how had he come to scrape his knees only served to fuel the frustration of not being treated as an elf of his age deserved.

“We had been tracking a party of orcs, and one of their scouts found us first,” he answered, his tone easily betraying his frustration, no matter how hard he tried to mask it.  But there was a clear, unspoken edge to the reply.  He did not want to talk about it.

Elrond Peredhel

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 07:22:44 PM »
There was perhaps a small part of Elrond that felt a perverse pleasure at seeing his son flinch from his tone, but mostly he was sad about it. He knew that his sons preferred that he tried not to act as if they were any different than any other soldier but also that it was futile for him to do so. He could hardly help it if seeing an arrow sticking out of Elrohir like a pincushion made him a bit harsher than he would have usually. It was part of the instincts that Eru gave all parents: to be protective of and care for their young, even if said young were fully grown adults.

He listened to Elrohir's explanation of how exactly he got injured, frowning at both his words and his tone. But he turned his attention briefly to grabbing what he would need. He decided that since it had managed to miss arteries and looked to be able to be a clean wound, he should be able to force all the way through without damaging the bones or muscle. His gaze did flicker to Vilya on his finger, hidden from most and only used by him to augment his healing in dire circumstances. His lips thinned as he decided that this was not a time to use the Ring. No, he would have to simply use his normal healing powers for his son.

”I am going to push the arrow the rest of the way, Elrohir.” He held out a leather padded strap. ”You may want to bite down on this.” Once Elrohir decided whether or not he wanted to use it and took it (or not), Elrond would then begin. He already began to use his healing powers to start to ease pain.

Elrohir

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »
Elrohir had feared that his father would press for more details, and he did not bother to hide his relief that Elrond had allowed him to be somewhat more vague than necessary.  The wound to his shoulder pained him, but no less than the wound to his pride, and that wound was far more likely to fester were it treated poorly.  Of course, it was just as likely that he’d catch Elladan reporting all of the details later, but at least in that case, Elrohir would be allowed the comfort of pretending it had never happened. 

He scowled once more at his father’s instructions, not the least bit pleased at having to push the arrow through rather than extract it, but he offered no complaint.  The strip of leather was accepted and he bit down as instructed, his hand then coming to rest upon Elrond’s shoulder in order to anchor himself.  He then met Elrond’s gaze and nodded.  He was ready, or at least as ready as could be expected. 

Even prepared as he was, it hurt.  Fingers squeezed his father’s shoulder, though Elrohir lacked the presence of mind to realize his grip was nearly bruising.  It was hard to concentrate on such things when he was putting all of his focus into biting back any outward expression of that hurt.  The pain eased quickly, more quickly than was natural, though he wouldn’t complain.  It took all of his focus to force himself into breathing regularly once more now that the hardest part was over, his grip finally loosening.  Only then did he realize the force behind it, and he had the good sense to look contrite, offering a half-whispered apology. 

“I suppose I should look on the bright side,” he said, turning to a bit of nervous chatter to distract himself from his father’s work.  “You’ll never let me out of the valley again, so I’ll have plenty of time to catch up on my reading.”  There was an air of teasing to his tone, his words an obvious exaggeration of the penance he'd likely have to pay, though it was overshadowed by a sudden weariness. Even Elrohir could not hide that the wound was beginning to take its toll.

Elrond Peredhel

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 12:48:18 AM »
While Elrond chose not to press his son for more details than Elrohir’s rather vague explanation, he was going to get it, even if it was not this day. Though, he might be able to get the information out of Elladan, unless the twin’s attachment for each other included not telling their father what happened to  get the other injured. He frowned at that thought, though he knew that he was the same with Elros and so would not blame them in the least. Not that that meant he was happy about it but he would understand it.

He gave a slight smirk, one that he was sure his father-in-law would approve of, at Elrohir’s scowl upon hearing that he was going to push it out rather than dig it out. ”It will heal much better with less scarring to push it out, and likely less pain.” Not that he was going to change his plan in dealing with the wound. But his wisely chose to accept the offering of a leather strap to bite down on while Elrond pushed the arrow all the way through. His son placed a hand on his shoulder and  then nodded.

He could tell despite everything he had done to prepare Elrohir and to ease his pain, that his son was still in extreme pain when he pushed the arrow through, if the nearly bruising grip on his shoulder was any indication, and Elrond winced slightly at the feeling. Finishing with the arrow removal, Elrond went quickly to work at cleaning the wound and getting it stitched up. As he was wrapping the shoulder, his concentration was broken by hearing his son talk, slightly amused by the obivously nervous chatter. ”I’m sure your grandparents would have much to say if I forbid you from going to see them. Though you may not be allowed to leave with a babysitter.” This was said with considerable amusement as he finished it.

”There. Now I want you here frequently for awhile so myself or one of the other healers can look at how the wound is healing.” His tone was a little brisker before it softened again. ”Are you still in a lot pain, Elrohir?”

Elrohir

• Half-Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 05:42:29 AM »

Weary as he was from the exertion required to tend his wound, and only just able to allow himself the slower, deeper breaths that would unwind the tension from his body, Elrohir still managed enough energy to snort in response to his father’s poor attempt at humor. “I would challenge you to find any babysitter up to the task.”

Though it had been presented as a joke, Elrohir was certain there were hints of truth beneath that comment.  Any babysitter his father might have found would have been faced with the task of not only keeping up with Elrohir, but also his brother, and there were still few who lived in the valley who could reliably tell the twins apart without effort.  They’d be just as likely to follow Elladan as Elrohir, and no doubt the twins were more than proficient at causing that kind of confusion.  They’d practiced it all their lives, after all.

With a low sigh, Elrohir eased himself against the back of his chair.  “More tired than pained, really,” he answered truthfully.  There was a lingering ache, but it simply blended its way into the general aches and pains that came along with at last releasing the tension he’d been holding in his body for what seemed like ages.  It was nothing that a bit of rest and some good sleep couldn’t fix.  And the comforts of home were sounding more and more appealing by the moment.

“But don’t worry about me, father,” he promised, reaching out again with his good arm to place his hand again on his father’s shoulder, squeezing it again with far less strength than he had a moment ago.      “I’m not going to run off and get myself injured.  There’s no need to set a guard at my door.”

Tags: elrohir 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Bard: Reply for Bain [link]
    Today at 07:02:43 AM
  • Hild: Reply for Fengel [link]
    June 04, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
  • Hild: Reply for Haleth et all [link]
    June 03, 2020, 11:41:18 PM
  • Éowyn: Plotter tag for Marbys! [link]
    June 02, 2020, 10:32:55 AM
  • Éowyn: Starter for Theoden. <3 [link]
    June 02, 2020, 10:03:48 AM
  • Thengel: Reply for Morwen Steelsheen [link]
    June 02, 2020, 05:52:44 AM
  • Dáin Ironfoot: Starter for Kéra and family [link]
    May 31, 2020, 10:21:13 AM
  • Fengel: Starter for Hild et all [link]
    May 31, 2020, 12:20:29 AM
  • Cirdan: Open thread at Lindon after the fall of Arnor, but before the War of the Ring. [link]
    May 29, 2020, 06:38:48 AM
  • Becca: Open thread during LOTR (specifically after War of the Ring) with Sam [link]
    May 28, 2020, 04:25:06 AM
  • Nauroval: Open thread for assistance from any in Rohan/Near Fangorn! Removing an arrow from the wing of a Great Eagle and getting to possibly speak to her and meet Shadowfax due to it! :smile: [link]
    May 22, 2020, 12:08:54 AM
  • Nienna: Open thread for LotR time line, for Sahib: [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:44:11 AM
  • Nienna: Oh la la, a post! [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:38:53 AM
  • Sauron: Reply for Saruman [link]
    May 12, 2020, 09:02:52 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Trenardir [link]
    May 09, 2020, 07:46:26 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Elrond [link]
    May 09, 2020, 05:04:57 AM
  • Bard: Don't feel disheartened. The thread is open to anyone, including Bain. I've also made a slight change to the last paragraph. I hope it helps you in joining the thread.
    May 06, 2020, 08:34:45 AM
  • Nienna: Oh! Was about to toss Bain at Pappa, but after reading the last paragraph... hmmm...
    May 06, 2020, 03:32:31 AM
  • Bard: Open thread at Laketown for anyone with a reason to be there during a cold winter night
    May 01, 2020, 01:40:22 AM
  • Saruman: Starter for Sauron [[link]]
    April 30, 2020, 06:27:20 AM