• Nienna: OOOOOOOO~! GARD MAKIN' AN ELF
    August 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM
  • Gard: But yay success!
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:24 PM
  • Gard: Been there Hades :D
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
  • Gard: Aww
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:13 PM
  • Hades: So, how about I forgot that I changed my password... xD I've been trying to get in for the last twenty minutes.
    August 11, 2019, 12:18:29 AM
  • Eofor: Hi
    August 04, 2019, 06:46:46 PM
  • Icewolf: Does anyone play lotro? Had a bit of a rough night so I'm taking my loremaster around the farms of Oakbarton for the morning. I don't have the concentration for writing today.
    July 30, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
  • Hades: Goodness... okay. I hate this muse. XD It only works when it wants o.
    July 25, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
  • Icewolf: Hi.
    July 24, 2019, 11:36:35 PM
  • Dís: Eeeeeh hi again Icewolf!
    July 22, 2019, 11:13:41 PM
  • Nienna: Glad to see people posting!
    July 12, 2019, 03:20:14 AM
  • Gard: Hey Jo! Imma say Discord! <3
    June 09, 2019, 03:18:45 AM
  • Jo: Gard, if you're around to see this, but where is the best place to hit you up for plotting in-depth? Discord, Skype, the chatbox?
    June 09, 2019, 03:02:03 AM
  • thatguy2: yeah
    May 14, 2019, 04:32:36 AM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Forum Staff

Ulmo admin Ulmo
Administrator
Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: An Advantageous Stopover  (Read 2654 times)

Eadlyn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
An Advantageous Stopover
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:22:00 AM »
After nearly a year on the road, Eadlyn had at last returned to familiar ground.  A week or so in Edoras and then back home to Aldburg to settle accounts and pretend to be happy to see his mother.  The usual routine, as mundane and boring as it had been the first time and as it would be the last.  But there was something to be said for routine.  It left more room in his mind for other far more interesting things!  He’d been quite successful that year, if one defined success as finding more than a few books he’d never before laid eyes on.  

Having arrived in the city only just that morning, he was still more than a little travel worn and weary of the road, which had the unfortunate result of dulling his curiosity considerably when he’d first made his way through the market on the way to his usual lodgings.   He’d left behind his wagon at the stables, trusting as always to the old, familiar faces to see that his goods were looked after, but even more so that his horse was looked after.  The upcoming weeks of rest were not only good for him, but for Hazel as well.  She was getting a bit too old for so many months on the road, though he could hardly imagine making the trip without her.  

At the moment, the merchant, still unshaven from the road, was leaning down over a rather unimpressive stall of what could, by even the most generous appraisal, only be called junk.  Yet there was a light in his eyes.  Clearly this was a man on a mission.  He’d been tipped off by the old man he regularly sold pelts and furs to (an old friend of his father) that there was something of value here among the old plates and candlesticks and burned through pots.  Something not often found in the markets of Edoras.  Something that Eadlyn would very much wish to inspect!

And then he spotted it!  There, pushed to the back, discarded and neglected and abused, was a worn, leather bound book!  And atop that treasure, a thing worth more than everything else in this pathetic little stall, was a mug of cold beer.  

Cheeks turned bright red beneath the few months of beard growth he still wore, and without regard for the pair of candlesticks he knocked over, and even less for the mug of beer, the merchant’s arm darted forward to rescue the poor thing from its cruel treatment.  There, there!  We won’t let that mean old man abuse you any longer!   Hastily he wiped away a layer of dust from the cover, murmuring a few choice words under his breath.   He seemed completely oblivious to the look worn by the old man who sat behind the stall, whose beer had just been unceremoniously knocked to the ground.   

It soon became apparent that the book was nothing more than a collection of children’s stories, though by the style of the penmanship and the names of the characters, it must have come from Gondor.  Hardly something he would select for his own collection… at least on normal occasions.  Yet he felt deeply sorry for the poor thing (the book, not the old merchant, obviously) and wondered if it might not have a better life tucked away lovingly beneath the floorboards of his cart.

Half without thinking, his hand slipped into the coin purse he wore, drawing out a few coins.  His father’s coins, his nagging conscience reminded him, but he ignored it just like every other time, tossing the coins onto the table.  Already he was curiously studying the first few pages, blissfully ignorant of the odd looks cast at him by nearly everyone who had witnessed his small tantrum.    
 Played by Whitney

Altair

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 03:34:00 AM »
ooc | finally...

Well! It would be interesting to say the least. The last time he was in Edoras what he had tried to achieve, ah, well… let’s just say that it didn’t go over very well. The man was tossed out of the building – scarf first followed a skinny, gangly man who only made the situation more comical when he tripped over his own apparel and face planted into the mud where he stayed until he figured it was safe. And by safe he had intended to just stay put and suffocate; but the pigs rummaging about in the mud had other plans. When he gangly man raised his head he was met with the snout of a pig. Mud covering his face, and blue eyes wide he stared at the pink snout of the pig, “Oh, hello.” He muttered, figuring it was safe to rise from his spot. Clothes, face and hair covered in mud, he trudged home, his horse walking behind him; but keeping its distance because its master smelled quite terrible, too.

That was three days ago. Today would be different, and not like the last three days! Altair leapt from bed, optimistic about the happenings, and excited for another chance to go back into town and try again. There just had to be someone who would allow him to set up a small school in Edoras, there had to be! Even in Gondor, when he was emitted from the tutor program and forced to find work on his own, it wasn’t this hard. In Gondor his credentials were solid, and people knew who he was! Well, in Rohan people knew who his grandparents were. Sure, the agriculture was different, but did the people really have to look upon him like he was a stranger. Sometimes it felt like he stuck out like a sore thumb. And why not? A tall man with a multi-colored scarf that he wore even in summer… what isn’t to stick out? Though, to be honest, he really didn’t wear the scarf in the summer, only in the pre-sunlit hours of the morning when he would have to go and check on his parents animals out in the barn behind the house.

“Good morning, Altair.” His grandmother chimed as he walked into the kitchen. Altair beamed. She was hard at work kneading some dough for bread, it seemed. But, she stopped long enough to wipe her flour dusted face with the apron before hugging him tightly, then returning to work. “Go-in out again, child? Why not stay home today instead?” She asked him. Altair took an apple from one of the baskets on the dining room table and rubbed it off on his shirt, “Too much to do, Grandmother! So much work to be done.” He laughed, “No time to sit at home. I’ll be home for dinner, though.” He kissed her cheek gently and grabbed his hat from the peg by the door. “Well alright, child! Try not to get into any-more fights.” Altair shook his head as he wrapped his scarf around his neck about six times before he stepped out the door and headed towards the stable to saddle his horse and get on with the day.

In reality, though, he would have loved to stay home! But, there was something missing. Something very valuable, and something that he could never part with. A very special parcel that had been with him since he had arrived in Gondor all those years ago. The child side of him wept in anguish when he discovered that it was missing, the adult side of him said that it must have been accidentally set down in one of the market stalls while he was shopping for things for his grandmother. The only way to find the missing book was to go from stall to stall and inquire. His grandparents didn’t need to know the real reason he was going back into town. So, he saddled Spirit and together they headed to Edoras.

In Edoras…

“No, sorry.
     “Books? Here? Are ya mad or somethin’?
     “No, my children aren’t interested in readin’ children’s books, dear.
     “Yea, there was a book here about…
     “Really!!??
     “But it wasn’t no children’s book!
     “Thank you very much anyways…

This was growing very disheartening very quickly. The small child inside him wanted to find a corner and cry that he had lost something so valuable so easily, the adult side of him wanted to keep looking. This was why he couldn’t get married. Things would affect him too easily, and it was much easier to put on the face of a mature person when you were feeling like a child inside. The tall man had left Spirit in the company of the stable boy, and he had left his long scarf in the saddle bag, and his only coat was also folded and placed in the bag with his scarf. The only place left to check was a place he had stopped by for a few seconds to pick something up for his horse. Pelts and furs weren’t really something he could afford to buy, but when he could it was always a treat. Altair couldn’t pull the details of the place from his mind, which upset him.

However, as he approached the stand, he saw the old man sitting with his ale in hand. A young man was standing by the table and coins were on the table. People were staring, and it was obvious that he had missed something. In the youth’s hands, though, he recognized the worn leather of his book. A chill passed through Altair as he put two and two together. The coins on the table, the old man staring at the young man a few seconds before he reached forward to take the coins. Everyone was going back to their regular routine. Part of him wanted to run up and snatch the book from the man’s hands and stroke the binding while saying ‘my precious’, and the other half wanted to be cordial and comment on the book while subtly mentioning that it belonged to him. Another side of him wanted to tackle the man to the ground and just throttle him for touching his book. So what stopped him from doing all these things? The look on the young man’s face. He wasn’t much older than Altair. But the familiar light his eyes as he tried to devour the book was so familiar that he was instantly guilt tripped into just walking up. But as he got closer, the desire to punch the man, take the book and run was overwhelming.

“My book! You found my book!” Altair couldn’t keep that childish relief out of his voice as he approached. “I have been looking for it all day, thank you so much for finding it!” The old man behind the table stopped what he was doing – counting the coins – and stared at Altair, but the fuzzy haired, gangly man didn’t even notice. The smile on his face was honest, and the hand held out for his book was a bit demanding. And the hope that the man wouldn’t ask questions was dwindling the longer he stood with his hand open to receive what was rightfully his…

Of course… ah… it did look awkward, and a random stranger just claiming  the book was his without proof must have looked a bit ridiculous… and foolish… and suspicious…
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:36:26 AM by Altair »
color of speech: #0D6B6A

played by: Hades

Eadlyn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Still studying his newest treasure, Eadlyn was hardly aware that he was being watched by any other than the old man as he started back towards the stables.   Oblivious to his surroundings, he did not even seem to take notice of the oddity that approached him.  It was only the cry of ‘my book!’ that awoke even the first hint of Eadlyn’s awareness.  Such was not a phrase uttered often in Rohan.   Had it been ‘my sword!’ or ‘my horse!’ or perhaps even ‘my beer!’ he would have paid the voice no mind at all, for such were things he had no care for.  But ‘my book!’ was something worthy of his attention.

He paused, eyes slowly lifting from the pages of his book (yes, until this man proved otherwise, it was HIS book), and leveled his assailant with a look of bemused curiosity.  Perhaps he was mistaken.   Perhaps he mistook Eadlyn, ragged and fresh from the road as he was, for some poor bumpkin who had no use for books.  Brows creased and a hand lifted, running over the beard growth he had neglected to see to upon entering the city.  Was this the reason?  Or perhaps the sight of a book was such a rare thing that this stranger had an instinct for noticing them… and perhaps the lack of books in the market led him to believe this was…

Well, bother…   The odds were likely that this did belong to the awkward stranger, for who in Rohan ran scams to relieve other men of books freshly purchased?    

“This is yours?” he asked, to be certain that he was, in fact, in the right mode of thinking.    He blinked slowly, then turned his gaze back over his shoulder where the old man counted his coins… coins Eadlyn had just paid to purchase this book.  Coins that his father would ask after when he returned home in a few weeks.  At least with a book to show for his troubles, he might be indulged, but with nothing to show for the loss?  

“Forgive me, friend, but if this is yours,” he held the book against his chest, daring this other man to try for it.  “Why did that man accept my coin for its purchase?”  A brow arched, questioningly.  Perhaps if this man were willing to compensate him for the coin spent…  Perhaps.  

And, of course, he'd have to be sure the little fellow was being sent to a good home.  He had rescued it from the underside of that beer mug, after all!   Truly, had I not come along, this would still be serving as a resting place for that mug of beer.  The poor thing..."
 Played by Whitney

Altair

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
ooc | Oooh! I hope you like it!

Altair stared at the man as he asked “This is yours?Of course it was his! He recognized the cover as the book he had left behind on accident. Obviously this little place was more for collecting things that belonged to other people, and the man who had ‘sold’ his book to this blonde thief (harsh, but in Altair’s mind it was as close to the truth as he could get) under the premise that the book belonged to him. “Forgive me, friend, but if this is yours,” He clutched the book to his chest, “Why did the man accept my coin for its purchase?” Much to Altair’s displeasure, he glared at the man who was counting the coins. Oh goodness, there was a very good explanation as to why the elderly man sold it to the young man. “The answer is quite simple, friend.” Altair stated, but his hands in his pockets and taking more relaxed - but alert - stance, his voice carrying an air of ‘can you really be so stupid’, “He obviously just wanted your coin. In Gondor, where that book is from, it would have cost much less to buy the book second hand than first edition.

This was true, and the old man counting his coins looked up. “What are you sayin’ Mr?” He asked. Altair ignored him, his attention on the man who had his book, “Of course he wouldn’t know a second edition from a first addition! You sir, have been swindled!” He then turned to the man who was counting the coins, “Because of this man’s ignorance.” He pointed an accusing finger, his features becoming more rigid (but not quite livid) and he walked towards the man, “He has taken more than the book is worth.” It wasn’t a total lie, but Altair wasn’t quite sure where he was taking this conversation, “I would suggest you get your money back.

Altair looked at Eadlyn, a look of sympathy on his face, “And give me my book, please. It’s value is immeasurable to me. As a teacher, I can see that you are very fond of book, and I admire that in anyone. Yet, as any good teacher, I would be an absolute fool to allow such a book to sit long in such a rubbish heap as this!” His hand was out, but not in a ‘hand me the book sort of way’, but rather held palm facing Eadlyn as he would approach a hurt or starving animal. His looks were softened, and his voice was laced with passion for his book.

Altair wasn’t quite sure what else to expect; but he hopped the man would see the error and at least get his money back. In the back of the Teacher’s mind, something nagged at him. If that was indeed the path the man would choose to take, the might just give him the book. Altair could sleep well at night knowing the stranger had gotten his money back, and not overpaid for a book that - although was a first edition - looked more like a second hand edition.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:37:24 AM by Altair »

Eadlyn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 02:09:00 AM »
The first thing to come to mind was one pure and simple emotion.  Shock.  While the story he’d been told was certainly plausible, and while he’d been quite willing to part with his new treasure upon confirmation that it did, in fact, belong to this man, he never expected to be….  Was he being lectured??   Over pricing?? Did this man take him for a fool?  Someone who had only bought a book on a whim, but knew nothing about them?  How lucky it was for Altair that, with his jaw practically on the ground, Eadlyn lacked the presence of mind to respond right away.

Jaw still agape, eyes shifted from the stranger and back to the old man, and then back again.  How best to proceed?  None of this was the old man’s fault.  Eadlyn had practically snatched the book out from under him and forced its sale, a fact that he couldn’t expect this rather excitable teacher to know.  Still, it stung his pride a touch to have the assumption piled upon him that he was simply ignorant of the book’s worth!  

Well aware that the two of them were already causing something of a scene, and even more well aware that they were still in the market, surrounded by men who either had offered or would offer Eadlyn their business, his first priority was to avoid seeming ignorant.  Who would do business with a merchant who did not know his prices, after all!  And so, after clearing his throat and picking his jaw up from the ground, he at last inserted himself into the grand lecture he was being given.  “Forgive me, friend.  I fear you misunderstand.”

Turning away, he graced the old man with his most charming smile, shifting with ease into the comfortable and familiar skin of a merchant.  “I offered this man more coin than the book’s worth as an offer of good will, one merchant to another.”   Eyes locked on to the old man’s, who still seemed a bit overwhelmed by the altercation. “Perhaps you would still permit me to come around tomorrow so that we might speak?  My father specializes in furs and hides, but he often finds equal value in things of all natures, rare finds, valuables hidden among lesser goods.  Who knows, sir!  You may have yet more treasure than you know!”

As for Eadlyn’s own new treasure…   He gazed longingly for a moment at this book, disappointed beyond words that he would never have the grand adventure of exploring its pages, learning its secrets…   And with a heavy sigh, he handed it over to Altair. “My father and I do not routinely deal in books, but I have a personal collection.  Teaching is a noble profession, yet one undervalued among our people.  If you find yourself in need of any volumes, I would invite you to look me up.  I have friends in Gondor who keep an eye out for treasures on my behalf.  If you have a need, I would do my best to fill it.”

And now that he had traded away both coin and book, he offered a nod to the old man and to the young teacher.  “I’ll be in Edoras through the day after tomorrow.  You can find me in the inn just inside the east gate.  The one with the lovely little flower garden.  Ask for Eadlyn, and if I am in, we will do some business.” Then, still wearing his charming smile, not yet having slipped out of his merchant’s face, he offered a polite half bow. “If you’ll excuse me, I have other visits to make before supper.”
 Played by Whitney

Altair

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 03:45:00 AM »
Altair hadn’t meant what he said, and in a moment of desperation, when it seemed like he would never see his book again, he had spoken out correctly – of course, but the man who had bought the book from the person of which the book did not belong took it the wrong way, and implied what he was saying to himself rather than the old man to which he was actually referring. This was why Altair wished he hadn’t spoken with such haste. Damn my hastiness. He thought bitterly, a sour flavor leaking into his mouth at the thought. He observed, with care, the Book Holder’s reactions entirely, disappointed to see he wasn’t wrong.

“Forgive me, friend. I fear you misunderstand.No, tis you who misunderstands, I fear.  Altair wanted to say, but he didn’t. It was rude to interrupt. “I offered more coin than the book’s worth as an offer of good will, one merchant to another.” He turned to the bewildered swind- seller and talked of visiting again. Surely this man cannot be serious about returning. There is nothing in that rubbish heap what could be worth anything. If the old man doesn’t even know what a treasure he had, what is to make the young man think there is more like it among the garbage? Altair wondered; sticking his hands in his pockets, and slumping his shoulders to a sort of stooper. “My father and I do not routinely deal in books, but I have a personal collection. Teaching is a noble profession, yet one undervalued among our people.That is very true.If you find yourself in need of any volumes, I would invite you to look me up. I have friends in Gondor who keep an eye out for treasures on my behalf. If you have a need, I would do my best to fill it.

As much as the young man’s offer pleased him, he was in no need for books. He had all he needed, all of which he had taken with him from Gondor. All Altair could do now, was sit and take a beating for not being more direct upon the person to whom he had been implying. Eadlyn held out the book, and Altair took it. It was nice to know that no grudges were going to be held, at least outwardly. But now, Altair felt the pressing need to correct his wrong, and find a way to explain to the man that he had in no way intended what he said to be- well you know. Misunderstood.If you’ll excuse me, I have other visits to make before supper.” Altair folded his hands in front of him, the book safely tucked among them. This is not over… he thought, in a good way of course! If the man did have any treasures, he would soon see. There wasn’t anything that the tall, gangly, scruffy-haired man hadn’t already seen, and still only Five, and Twenty!
     And by way of an apology Altair returned the next morning to Edoras after returning home with his repossessed book. It had sat out on his dresser among his other books looking forlorn (if a book could look as such) as though it knew exactly what had transpired the day before. And although Altair tried his hardest not to lose any sleep over it, he did. He was up all night, pacing his room in his woolen socks (knitted by grandmother of course) imagining every scenario he could, only making him nervous; and uncharacteristically so! He scolded himself for feeling this way, which he had not felt in a very long time. In fact the last time he had made a blunder of a situation of similar standings it had been over the ripest tomato, and how one pronounced ‘tomato’. But this was different, and in no way like the tomato incident. This time he had a chance to set things right, and also had a chance to possibly make a new friend if all went well. What a delightful possibility! He thought as he walked among the many huts of Edoras looking for the – what had the stranger called it? – Lovely Flower Garden, East gate entrance.

By the time he found it, Altair was growing a little hungry, and hoped beyond hope that Eadlyn would be in. How could he not? He himself had made the trip at dawn when the rooster at the small cottage owned by his grandparents crowed. Spirit had- reluctantly- allowed herself away from the warm comfort of the barn and into the cool morning air.

Walking into the small tavern, Altair was delighted to see that he wasn’t the only one awake. The owner of the tavern was busy buffing the tables and sweeping the floor. A couple of early risers sat in the corner where the rays of the sun could not reach, and to add to his desire for food the smell of something delicious floated from the kitchen. Sitting down at a table and setting his back of books beside him, he ordered his breakfast (“Whatever that delicious smell is, I would like some please!”), placed his hat before him, (“Porridge, in the summer time?”) and waited (“Would a Mr. Eadlyn happen to be about this place?”). No answer. How charming…
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:38:14 AM by Altair »

Eadlyn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
That morning, Eadlyn was late for breakfast.  And that tardiness was a direct result of too little sleep and too late an evening.   He was not a social creature by nature, which had made the previous evening’s activities all the more challenging.

Upon his return, the day before, to the shop of his father’s old friend, he had recounted the incident in the market with no small amount of irritation, letting out his frustrations and worries on an old, friendly ear.  He had no need to worry about losing this contract; it was more friendship than contract, after all.  And on top of it all, there was wisdom in that old man, the kind of wisdom that only came with a lifetime of trade.   The kind of wisdom that insisted that the quickest way to make a trusted business associate for life, was to get drunk together.  

So, with all the best intentions, he had dragged Eadlyn with him to the tavern where he had introduced a handful of tradesmen, several of whom had already heard the tale of that day’s disruption in the market.   If anyone were to say that gossip was only the province of chattering old women, Eadlyn might have more rightly directed said claimant to the tavern after dark.   Anything and everything out of the ordinary could be heard over a mug of beer, and by the time he’d been dragged reluctantly into the tavern, several men were already chattering about it!  He laughed at himself along with the others, made promises that he was really not such a fool in most cases, and arranged a few meetings for the next afternoon.  And that was how Eadlyn ended up drinking well into the night and forcing himself to be pleasant and social, when really he’d wanted nothing more than to curl up beside the fire with a good book.  

In fact, that was even more the cause for his lack of sleep, for he’d returned late from the tavern only to spend at least another hour forcing himself awake to finish the latest chapter of his current obsession:  the second volume in a series on the Tower Guard of Gondor.  But eventually, sleep won him away from his book, and he had curled up in his bed sometime after midnight, a choice he instantly regretted the next morning when he was awoken by the crowing of a rather persistent cock which seemed to have taken up a permanent residence just outside his window.  Ah well.  He had appointments throughout the day, mostly with men he’d been introduced to last night, and he could not neglect a visit to potential new customers just because he felt tired.

When at last he appeared in the tavern downstairs, Altair would find his intended target (or victim, depending on who you asked) had cleaned himself up to some degree, having at least had the presence of mind to shave his beard growth and comb his hair.   He immediately caught the attention of the innkeeper’s wife, a plump and pleasant lady he’d known since childhood, and she was quick to bustle over and envelope him in a warm hug.  “I’m so glad to see you weren’t swept away with the winds last night!  You had me worried when you weren’t back at your usual hour.”  Withdrawing from the embrace, she took his arm, whether he wanted it or not, and gave him a tug towards a table nearby.   “Come on, now, sit yourself down and I’ll make you some eggs.”

Weary though he was, Eadlyn managed to muster up a smile for his caretaker. He was well aware that she’d promised his mother some years back to look after him while he was in Edoras, grown man that he was!  He’d made the argument after he’d turned thirty that he no longer needed Ebba to look after him, but she had scoffed at the suggestion, and it seemed she was still content to baby him until the end of days. “You’re too kind, as always, Ebba.   More than I deserve.” It was a common refrain between them; he always insisted she did too much and she always did just as she pleased.  It was merely the comfort of routine, and he wouldn’t dream of accepting a meal from her without his usual modesty, though in recent years it was more put on than sincere.  

As Ebba scurried off to see to his breakfast, Eadlyn withdrew his book from within the folds of his coat.  He’d stopped at a particularly good point last night, so he was keen to pick up where he’d left off.  Yet it was not to be.  In that instant, as he flipped through to find his place, he happened to cast a glance about the common room.  And there he was like some specter.  The man who had caused all this grief to begin with.  

Perhaps had he been more well rested he’d have not felt compelled to comment.  But let’s face it, Eadlyn was not a morning person and he was especially grumpy. “Have you come to tell the innkeeper that I’m gullible enough to pay double, or do you reserve that particular favor for the marketplace only?”
 Played by Whitney

Altair

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
Again, just before Altair was about to encounter the man he had - well, putting it… ah… lightly? - unintentionally insulted he was busy trying to figure a way out of insulting him again. The owner came out with his porridge and placed it in front of him, the look on his face was a little less than friendly. I suppose I deserve that. He thought, taking up his spoon.

The inn was quiet in the early mornings, it seemed. People must not have been awake at this hour. In Gondor they would be, though. The shining White City was always awake at any time of the day or night. People always bustling about their business as though that were all they had in the world to keep them going. Money! Money was the key to survival, and there never seemed to be enough of it. Even for a private tutor finding people who needed them was a bit of a chore. He had needed a new coat so he bought one, but he never wore it. He bought a reasonably long scarf, but he never that either. And he even bought a new pair of shoes, only on occasion. Often he would send out his old pair to be refitted. It was a little more expensive, but worth every penny! That is, or was, until the man who had been fitting his shoes and repairing them … ah… died. But, still, because people in the city were always awake at all times of the day, it was never a chore to find someone new.

It wasn’t until about later that everyone started waking, and coming downstairs. Food was put out, sometimes porridge, sometimes bacon and eggs, and maybe something that looked like potatoes. But when the rush of people passed, and Altair was the only one who had just barely finished his porridge, only a few people were about.

Finishing his porridge, and paying for it the same time the innkeeper came around to collect it (the bowl), there was a clatter of feet on the stairs as someone in a partial hurry came down them. It was not Mr. Eadlyn, but it could have easily been mistaken for so. The same height, and hair. The only thing that kept Altair from making a fool of himself was noticing that the man was heavier set than the man he had met yesterday. Unless the man gained twenty pounds since then. He thought, pulling a book from his bag, and hiding his face in it.

So buried was he, that he didn’t even notice that Eadlyn had come down the stairs, and spotted him. So, when the voice interrupted the Scholar’s train of thought, “Have you come to tell the innkeeper that I’m gullible enough to pay double, or do you reserve that particular favor for the marketplace only?” He looked up, eyes wide with surprise, his face filled with with equal (or greater) effect.

“Ah,” was all he could manage for the moment. He sat there in silence. “Well, no. I am terribly afraid there is no way of correcting that mistake except to apologize, which is what I have come for. I had not intended to insult you in any manner, and I fully understand if you do not accept my apology. I only wish to say that I was speaking of the man to whom you gave your good money.” Altair reached into his bag and produced a well kept copy of the First Edition of the same book that had been mistakenly purchased yesterday, “And because I am very, very sorry I had hoped that maybe you would accept this to add to your collection. Nothing would give me greater pleasure.

The book was well taken care of. The red cover was calligraphed (calligraphy-ed, or whatever) in gold, and the binding was threaded with yellow thread. Soft to the touch, and pages that had not seen much of the daylight for very long were still crisp white, and when you opened it smelled of Vanillin.

ooc :: well, not as forward as I had anticipated... there had been something completely different at the end there, but I decided against it...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:38:59 AM by Altair »

Eadlyn

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Peering over the edge of his book, Eadlyn didn’t bother to hide the initial skepticism in his gaze.   Not necessarily because he truly believed this man was out to ruin him, but rather because he recognized the good intent, but found it to be just a bit clumsy.  And more good things were ruined by unintentional clumsiness than by ill intent.  Eadlyn had put his foot in his mouth at nearly every opportunity before his father had taught him to be far more careful in considering his words.  A merchant’s reputation was all that he had, and once that was lost there was not much left.

With a reluctant sigh, he rose from his chair and instead took a place at the teacher’s table, sitting down across from him where he took a moment to place a thin strip of leather in his book to mark his place.   As he settled in, apprehension turned quickly to surprise as the gift was offered.  Eadlyn made no attempt to hide the shock in his eyes as he reached out to very carefully take the book, though he was almost afraid to touch it.  He was not used to owning such well-maintained books, and most of his collection was worn and damaged from the road.  What books he kept at his father’s house were equally worn, for neither of his parents were inclined to care for his collection in the same way he would…  and so the first instinct to come was that he should not own something so fine.    

Well, that would be a difficult hurdle to manage, for already his mind was working, wondering how in the world should he respond to this.  It would be easier to address the rest of it first.

“I know you meant no harm by it, and for that reason alone I would gladly forgive you.  But…” Think before you speak. His father’s voice often pestered him to do so, and Eadlyn tried very hard to listen to it.  Unfortunately, thinking before he spoke didn’t always help, for he’d been told he talked down to others when his planned explanations became too erudite for your common merchant.  But this man was educated…  perhaps he would not see it as being talked down to, but rather simply as the explanation it was.

“You see, when you insisted that the old man was trying to cheat me (and for the record, he’s a very nice old fellow), you also, quite inadvertently, said to the rest of the men listening that I was gullible enough to be cheated by an old man who’s not particularly bright.   For I bought the book and paid the price.  That suggests to the rest of them that here is a man who might actually buy from me if I charge him more than a thing is worth.    And so, at the very least, I’m forced to haggle with these men to bring them back down to prices they would have started out at to begin with, thus losing the ability to haggle even further, and at the very worst, it forces me to walk away from business I need because my father would have my head for overpaying for goods.    To make matters worse, I’ve long made a claim to the men I do business with that I’m a bit of an expert when it comes to buying books, and you’ve made me look very much the fool on that count.”

He could have quite easily rambled on for some time about the particulars of his trade, but thought better of it.  Instead, he chose to smile, offering his hand across the table.  “I shouldn’t go on like this.  We’ll put it behind us.  We’ve just gotten off on the wrong foot, friend.  We’ve not even bothered with introductions yet, I’m quite sorry.  I am Eadlyn.  And I’m far too fond of a debate, I’m afraid.”  His own way of explaining the fact that he was already talking far too much.  “But for the gift, thank you. You’re too kind.  Really, you didn’t need to…”  
 Played by Whitney

Altair

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Re: An Advantageous Stopover
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »
ooc :: Whit! i don't know where else we can take this... if you have any ideas, just go with it! I'll go with the flow! <3[/size]

"You see, when you insisted that the old man was trying to cheat me (and for the record, he’s a very nice old fellow), you also, quite inadvertently, said to the rest of the men listening that I was gullible enough to be cheated by an old man who’s not particularly bright.   For I bought the book and paid the price." Altair listened, slightly embarrassed by his actions being retold to him, and only making the memory stronger.   

But he listened further, and was not as disappointed by what he had to say when Eadlyn finished. "I shouldn’t go on like this.  We’ll put it behind us.  We’ve just gotten off on the wrong foot, friend.  We’ve not even bothered with introductions yet, I’m quite sorry.  I am Eadlyn.  And I’m far too fond of a debate, I’m afraid." Altair could understand that. He himself enjoyed a good debate, even if he didn't win, except when he made an imbecile of himself. Which he had. Altair rubbed his hands together nervously, but smiled brightly at the man. At least the wasn't about to, well, whatever was worse than being unforgiven. It isn't fair that the entire incident will haunt me forever. he though. 

"Oh, no, no!" Altair said, "The book is a gift. I'm sure if we had met under different circumstances I would end up giving  you the book anyways." He grinned. And he was pretty sure he was right. "There is a difference, though, between being an expert, and being a scholar. But that is entirely a different thing. I hope you wouldn't mind if I took a look at some of the book which you say you have! If that is not being too forward, I mean." Altair stuck his hands in his pockets, and grinned at the man, tilting his curly head slightly.   

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis
    November 24, 2019, 03:32:06 AM
  • Lothíriel: [link] Eorik as well
    November 12, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
  • Meren: Reply for Faramir (finally after a million years) [link]
    November 12, 2019, 07:33:42 PM
  • Legolas: [link] @Thranduil