• First things first: Have a look around!
Take a look at some threads, some approved character applications
, get a feel for the place. Are we the kind of site you’d like to join? Feel free to hop into the cbox with any questions or just to say hi; we’re a friendly bunch!
• Very importantly, read over the plot
and the rules
(where our current character caps are listed). They’re simple and short enough and we make an effort to keep to them. If you have any queries or anything, we have a board for questions and suggestions.
Or, again, the cbox.
• Now, the part you’ve been working up to: making your first character. We have a canon list
if you’re considering one of Tolkien’s creations (or Jackson’s, in some cases). Here’s the face claim
– if you have a face in mind, check that it’s not taken. For an OC, might be an idea to have a quick look at those already around
to make sure yours won’t be too similar to any others. We also have a list
summarising the current wanted characters – if you don’t have any ideas yet, or would like to have some interactions guaranteed beforehand, this is the place to go. There are some awesome concepts in there just waiting
to be taken! Then there’s a whole board for guides and resources
which are all super helpful, even if this isn’t your first RP rodeo. As well as offering help with areas like character flaws and writing fight scenes, there are guides to Tolkien’s world that can aid you in making everything canon-compliant.
• Got a good idea of who you’re making now? Great! In order to apply, you need to make an account. We have a system of OOC (out of character) parent/‘head’ accounts, which have in-character subaccounts for actually RPing. It is very important
that you make your OOC account first.
It should be named whatever you'd like to be called in the cbox - for example, my OOC account is Blue – and as soon as you’ve made it you need to post with it here.
This lets the staff know to change its category to OOC and once it has been categorised you will be able to create a subaccount, as demonstrated here.
If you make any mistakes, just PM a staffer and we’ll get you sorted~ You need the OOC parent account and the linked character subaccount to apply.
• The app must be posted with the in-character
account – you’ll find the form here!
please post at least a WIP (work in progress) within two weeks
of making your OOC account. If nothing's been posted, the account will be deleted. You can ask for extra time or restart the process if you need to, though!
• Start writing. If you’ve had a look at some other apps you should have a rough idea of how much you need to have in there. It doesn’t have to be that
long but in general, the more development you give your character, the better! This is how other players get introduced to them – make your first impression an interesting and in-depth one.
• Post the app in the character applications board
(with your IC account) and wait. If you’ve posted it as a WIP first, make sure to post again once it’s complete so that we know. The staff will try to be as quick as we can but depending on our schedules, it might be a few days before we can get to your app.
• All approved? Yay! You can now start posting - remember, OOC account for OOC things, IC for IC. Also, you should now be able to see the member's lounge, which has an introduction board
if you’d like to tell us a bit about yourself. Celebrate in the cbox. Post a plotter in the relevant section of the plotting board
and check out the others there so you can start brainstorming interactions. The Open Threads List
can give you some places to jump in immediately.
• At all times, have fun!