Re: Teachers Get to Vent by Altair
[February 25, 2020, 06:42:24 AM]

Re: A Series of Unfortunate Events by Wei-Tao Ning
[February 25, 2020, 06:11:55 AM]

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: Can work stop now? I just want to go home
    January 31, 2020, 10:27:42 PM
  • Nienna: I am horrible at getting out posts! I’m so sorry to those who have been waiting!
    January 28, 2020, 06:21:10 AM
  • Gard: Hi Cass! <3
    January 28, 2020, 01:06:08 AM
  • Fridr: Sorry for the bombardment of posts about to happen - 100% apologise. Trying to fix something.
    January 19, 2020, 01:22:29 AM
  • Ulmo: I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! <3
    December 29, 2019, 01:12:19 PM
  • Nienna: Howdy, Becca!
    November 03, 2019, 03:41:21 PM
  • Gard: And Cass of course <3
    August 25, 2019, 12:17:28 AM
  • Gard: I love it so much!!
    August 25, 2019, 12:14:42 AM
  • Gard: Yay amazing Blue post! <3 <3
    August 25, 2019, 12:14:29 AM
  • Nienna: :D
    August 16, 2019, 03:14:37 AM
  • Gard: Hehe guilty as charged :D
    August 16, 2019, 01:13:02 AM
  • Nienna: OOOOOOOO~! GARD MAKIN' AN ELF
    August 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM
  • Gard: But yay success!
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:24 PM
  • Gard: Been there Hades :D
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
  • Gard: Aww
    August 11, 2019, 07:41:13 PM
  • Hades: So, how about I forgot that I changed my password... xD I've been trying to get in for the last twenty minutes.
    August 11, 2019, 12:18:29 AM
  • Eofor: Hi
    August 04, 2019, 06:46:46 PM
  • Icewolf: Does anyone play lotro? Had a bit of a rough night so I'm taking my loremaster around the farms of Oakbarton for the morning. I don't have the concentration for writing today.
    July 30, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
  • Hades: Goodness... okay. I hate this muse. XD It only works when it wants o.
    July 25, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
  • Icewolf: Hi.
    July 24, 2019, 11:36:35 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 208
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Forum Staff

Ulmo admin Ulmo
Administrator
Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: Beyond the Forest [Autumn T.A. 2939]  (Read 1480 times)

Elrania

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Pip
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Beyond the Forest [Autumn T.A. 2939]
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
"Rochael. Stay."

The strawberry roan horse stood, staring at the strawberry blonde elleth as she tied it to a post, ensuring that her horse could not wander off, now that it would. Should anyone try to take the horse, however, they would struggle, for she would not budge on any command but the command of the young elf that had left her there. Piercing blue eyes scanned the people ahead of her, murky brown boots stepped lightly upon the rickety old wooden footpaths that led all the way around Lake-Town. She brushed past people of all shapes and sizes, some looking a little more devious than others. Eyebrows crinkled as a shorter man pushed past, with a strange looking face, clearly concealing something within his coat, but the business of Lake-Town was none of hers. She had left her new acquaintance only an hour ago, having gone back to check on her horse before heading into the town for what she needed. She needed food, and her usual supplier wasn't to be seen, nor was he in, which she confirmed by knocking on his ridged old wooden door, to be greeted with absolutely no answer. Well that had slightly scuppered her plan then.

That's what directed her to start asking around the town, and the final gentleman she spoke her directed her to speak with someone called 'Bard', arthritic fingers pointing towards a house she was most likely to find him at. With a courteous bow, and a thank you that only incurred lightly from her lips, she headed towards the house that had been pointed out to her. She didn't even know what this Bard looked like, so even if he were to answer, she would not know for sure if it was him without asking. She knocked on his door, to no answer once more, and with a sigh of defeat, she headed down the stairs as a boat pulled in. Her eyes looked up, perhaps this gentleman on the boat would know where she could find Bard, or at least a food supply of sorts. He had barrels on his vessel, but Elrania figured they were empty. Someone would always collect them from Mirkwood and bring them back, and sure enough, these were the Greenwood barrels. She nodded to the man on the boat, taking in his looks before standing at the edge, directly next to his boat, placing her boot on one side of it to draw his attention to her.

"Are you the owner of this house?" She asked, quite bluntly, her head twitching to the side to direct him to the house of Bard. "Or do you perhaps know if he has any food he'd be willing to sell?" She pulled out a small purse from a pouch, jingling it lightly to show she had money on her. Perhaps, if this was Bard, and he was polite and open, she might entrust him with the information of the Orc pack that came so close to town, and ask he to inform the Master of Lake-Town to find a better defense system.
[/font]
Played by Pip!

Bard

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Guiga
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:08:00 AM »
After transporting freight across Laketown's canals since the early morning, Bard finished his day as many others for the last 15 years. He went to the Forest River banks and collected the barrels incoming from the Elven Woodland Realm. The next day their journey towards Dorwinion through the River Running would take place. Before returning to Esgaroth, Bard took some time to fish at the river, then the lake with his taken nets before entering the town's gate. The usual customs questions took place. The barrels seemed to be empty as they should and there were no problems. Bard had years of experience smuggling food into the town, mainly in the form of fish, though sometimes he also brought game from the woods. The fish were inside some leather bags that weren't all that visible inside the dark wood Elven barrels.

Upon entering the town's gate, Bard went directly towards his modest house. He had promised his mother, his children and nephew that he'd try to be home earlier that day. Thankfully it was possible. It was his mother's birthday and they were going to make a small but loving celebration at home that night. The large barge wasn't easy to maneuver through the smaller canals within the town, but the experienced bargeman managed to reach his house's doorstep without much difficulties. As he prepared to moor the barge, he looked up and saw a female form.

The next thing he knew there was a boot on top of the side of his barge. Alright. That wasn't very friendly, he knew due to some previous experiences. He looked in the direction his bow was. Too far. He'd have to fight with his knife if need be. Then he looked up at the female again to analyze his situation better and noticed the contours of her ears. She was an Elf. Bard never exactly added bluntness to Eleniel's people. It could be due to the fact he knew very few Elves personally and Eleniel was such a kind person, to his estimation. He knew well not all Men were the same. It stands to reason that not all Elves are the same as well. Upon noticing her origins, Bard lowered his guard a little and reciprocated the woman's nod with one of his own.

"I might know of him. Yes. How could I help you?" He offered Elrania as a reply. It wouldn't be prudent to lead this stranger into his house yet. He didn't know it was currently empty due to his mother taking the girls to the market to buy some goods for their small party and the boys, being boys, were either helping the house's women or playing with their friends. He thought it better to know of the female's business before going forward.

As he didn't know how to address her, Bard preferred to be polite yet his cautious stance persisted somewhat. Not anymore due to the woman per se, but there could be spies watching his house. "My Elf lady, I'm Bard actually and I don't have authorization to sell food. I'm sorry. I'm not sure where you've heard that or who told you this, but if you please enter I'll see what I can do to help you." The moment she talked about needing food, Bard understood the situation. One of his friends in town, who knew of his side activities, had told the Elf about him and had directed her to his house. He made sure to place slight intonation changes on some key words in his speech that would allow her to know that he could help her find the food she needed, but not out here in the open.

Bard then finished docking his barge and securing it. He took the two rather large leather bags from within two of the barrels and placed them over the wooden floor of the dock before jumping into it himself, showing a skill possessed only by someone who is used to a life around waterways. He took the bags over his shoulders and stepped towards the small stairs that led to the main door. "Please, follow me in. Can I have your name?" He said nodding Elrania to follow him. Once inside, they would be able to speak more openly and he'd be able to offer some of the fish he had managed to bring back. It wasn't the best the Long Lake could offer, but it was food. Also he knew people were directed to him if they were in dire need and he always did his best to help who he could within his possibilities.

Set made by Alagon!

Elrania

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Her eyebrow raised when he suggested he might know of him, but she knew full well, judging by the way he was behaving with her, she was certainly talking to Bard. She waited for him to climb from his boat, following him to his home. "My name is Elrania, of Mirkwood." Her words were almost muttered, as if she was uncomfortable giving her name, but she certainly needed to, to gain the mans trust. She stepped lightly up the steps of his home, hoping he could help her in the sense of food. It had been a long time since she'd had anything but berries, but, one good meal now would set her out for a few months, and bring her back to the strength she knew she had. "It is... kind of you to invite me into your home, and... very much appreciated." She noted to him, very unsure about her words, but knowing full well deep down she was truly thankful for his kindness. He seemed like the kind of person she could probably discuss other matters with should she need to instead of going to the Master. She had heard tales of the Master and did not wish for a meeting any time soon.

"I have other matters I may wish to discuss later, if matters concerning Laketown and the safety of it's locals is something you don't mind discussing." This was a general offering, seeing as she and her friend had slain many orcs not too far from Laketown. She couldn't promise that she could keep them safe every time, but she could certainly give them the heads up now, let them know that danger is heading this way, and they need to be prepared. She could not be expected to defend Laketown as well as her home, for she was only one Elf, but, if she had someone on the inside of Laketown, to whom she could send word to, then she at least knew she'd have someone. She tried to strike up a normal conversation with him only for a moment, to try and ease the tension between the pair. She looked down beneath them, hearing footsteps below as she noticed two guards wandering past at a slow pace, as if they were checking up on Bard. She frowned, slightly in confusion as she continued to watch them as they disappeared around the corner. "Do they always watch you as you enter and leave your home?"

She felt this behaviour was rude and out of order, and perhaps later, she might have a word with the Master, but for now, she had other business to attend to. She didn't like the idea of people being watched as they were going around their business, but it gave her the impression that Bard had done something to upset the authorities in his town, quite like she had done in Mirkwood. Perhaps they had common ground after all... and that couldn't be a bad thing now could it?
Played by Pip!

Bard

• Men
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Guiga
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Bard was glad the Elf lady had understood his tone of voice and did follow him into his house. As she spoke her name, he managed to catch a slight intonation there as well. The way she nearly muttered the words told him that she wasn't used to such and most likely was a quite lonely person. This just increased his will to help her as he could. "Be welcome to my home, Elrania of Mirkwood." He said politely. He wasn't the most polished of all Men, just looking at his battered clothing and general state one could see that he led a simple life, but Bard had something about him that surpassed it all. Maybe it was his will to always help where and when he could.

"I sure wouldn't leave anyone alone outside, specially someone who might be hungry." Bard said with respect. He knew there was little difference in the fighting and survival skills of males and females in the Elven Woodland Realm. Elrania was certainly a very capable woman who could take care of herself. He didn't mean to offend her pride, just to be honest and nice. He wouldn't even think about leaving anyone in need if he was in a position to help and sometimes when he wasn't as well. "Though I must tell you I only brought extra fish today. Do you mind fish or they will do for your needs? All are fresh and some are larger and better for cooking…" The probably much younger man asked quite humbly, then letting it slip that he did have some experience in the fishing business. If the fish were fine, he had no problems sharing them with Elrania. If her need was as dire as it looked, he'd even give them away for her health's sake.

As Elrania mentioned possible matters concerning Laketown, Bard's forehead immediately furrowed while he was in deep thought about what it could be. He pondered if he should be as fast forward as his heart told him to be or as cautious as his mind told him to be. His family and his friends lived in this town and it was where he had been raised since childhood. Bard gave up caution and decided to trust the Elf implicitly. "Sure. Whatever could have consequences to my town and its citizens is of deepest interest to me. Should I be worried about our safety?" His voice didn't show half of the inner apprehension he felt. Even because he had promised his children he would protect them from whatever and whoever came their way with ill intentions and he intended to deliver on that promise. He wasn't afraid of what Elrania could possibly reveal, someone who lived under the shadow of Smaug was used to think about untoward ends, but inevitably his mind went to thoughts of grim contents.

Bard noticed his guest was trying to break the ice and went along with her trial to make conversation. He also noticed the guards passing by his door. They were always there because Bard was considered to be an insurgent for helping the needed. Sometimes he pondered actually rising up against the Master and Alfrid in a true revolt, but always stopped short due to his family. His first duty was to them. He couldn't leave his elderly mother alone with four children while he was spending some time in jail. "Yes, they do. I'm not in best terms with the powers of Laketown. Let's say that the Master and I don't share the same ideas about what's better for the people… Though I guarantee you I'm not a criminal nor dangerous and you will suffer nothing while in my home." Bard said the truth mainly because he was still interested to know what Elrania had to say about the town and lying wouldn't build trust between them. Besides everyone who ever stepped in Laketown more than once knew this information anyway. Elrania asking this told him that she, although being from close by Mirkwood, wasn't an habitué by the Long Lake.

Set made by Alagon!

Elrania

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 02:10:00 AM »
Elrania cared very little for material things; anything where she felt like it shouldn't matter, such as how a person dressed, or how they presented their home, both things she took very little notice in, but how they were as a person mattered most. Bard, however, was presenting rather well - quite polite and helpful, which she was eternally thankful for, but unfortunately, Elves had a habit of not showing emotions very well, even if they said thank you, it was always in a blunt tone of one form or another; but Elrania had spent her time away from the core - she was learning. "Fish shall be fine, thank you. Of any size, you could spare." She even attempted to offer the bargeman a smile, though, it looked forced, try as she might.

As he piped up for a moment, querying what it was that she might have to speak about, she answered him in typical elf fashion, by answering both yes and no. "Possibly - then again, possibly not." This was a habit she would have to get out of, but at present, it was a habit of hers that still stuck. As she carefully stalked around his house, light-footed, sharp blues taking in all the sights around her; noting down items of interest, though there were very little, but things she could use to try and determine what kind of person Bard was before she would give him any more information on the orcs that had threatened to come down to Lake Town had it not been for her and her travelling companion.

"I don't doubt that for a minute, Bard. I can't say I particularly care for the Master myself - then again, those with power tend to abuse it." At least they were on the same level about the Master - having only ever met him the once, due to Thranduil making an arrangement with him about wine and the likes - but even then, she had taken an instant disliking to the weasel and his companion, so anyone that happened to agree with her on that topic was good in her books. She could trust that Bard would have no intentions of alerting the Master of anything that the elleth divulged at this point, and that was what gave her the incentive to finally speak to him about the trouble at hand. "I met a Ranger on the road, as well as a couple of orcs heading this way. We managed to clear them out - but they seem to be growing bold. Arm your people, as best you can."

She was sure they had some way of getting some kind of protection, even if they had to make them out of household items, it would have to do - the town couldn't go unprotected because of a master and his paranoia, no, Bard would have to find a way to get them armed and ready should the Orc's get bolder; though, she would do her best to keep an eye out on the town just in case. "I understand that, that might be a struggle, but I'm in high doubts that the Master would listen to any sort of reason." Strands of strawberry blonde locks fell from it's pinned up-do as she shook her head in annoyance just from thinking about the Master of the Lake-Town. "I can do my best to stop them from getting passed the Greenwood, but I can't guarantee I would be able to stop each and every single one. I am but one person." She wasn't going to ask payment for this nicety - it was hardly going out of her own way to do such a thing, mainly because living on the edge of the forest, she didn't really have an awful lot to do - other than kill the few stray spiders that got in the way; but the Guard of Mirkwood should be more than capable of that. Offering her help was the least she could do for the town, and it was only offered, because of the kindness that Bard had shown her.
[/font]
Played by Pip!

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nienna: [link] open thread!
    January 14, 2020, 04:33:41 AM
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis
    November 24, 2019, 03:32:06 AM
  • Lothíriel: [link] Eorik as well
    November 12, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
  • Meren: Reply for Faramir (finally after a million years) [link]