• Dot Guests: 78
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Bilbo Baggins: Caught up on a missed post Hera, your reply from Bilbo is next promise <3
    June 27, 2020, 08:01:13 PM
  • Guiga: As for the old Lake-town plot. It was about a revolt against the Master by the people due to taxes and such one year before the events of the movies. It was very interesting.
    June 27, 2020, 06:07:49 PM
  • Guiga: I did write you a PM just after Becca’s. Strange. It was very late that night and maybe I forgot to hit send before logging out, but that character is on hold. So don’t worry.
    June 27, 2020, 06:05:33 PM
  • Dory: (Her being Galadriel. Dunno what happened there.)
    June 27, 2020, 07:59:49 AM
  • Dory: I'm Katja's writer, so I'm defo curious. Also, I was reading that new app and I just want to let it be known that I also play her and even though I'm busy right now, I'm happy to be messaged or shouted out if she's going to be needed or used for something.
    June 27, 2020, 07:59:28 AM
  • Marbys: Posted!
    June 27, 2020, 12:10:17 AM
  • Marbys: I'm almost done with the reply for Shadowfax and Nauroval. It should be out tomorrow, if all goes well.
    June 26, 2020, 05:44:51 AM
  • Nienna: Work is murder
    June 26, 2020, 12:12:45 AM
  • Gard: Hmm...you're certainly welcome to try to revive any plots you want, but doing a quick check over the Directory I think Bard, Katja, and Oliver are the only adult characters in town :D Let me know if I missed any one's characters
    June 25, 2020, 12:55:28 PM
  • Guiga: I was wondering if I could reopen or restart from scratch that old plot about the rebellion against the Master of Lake-town we used to have a long time ago and which would be best. I’m not even sure how many inhabitants of Esgaroth we have in play anymore. I’ll have to look into it, but that was an interesting plot.
    June 25, 2020, 03:46:58 AM
  • Hera: Amarthal's lovely, dear. Thank you. Just one problem, you just killed Berthrien's whole family! Elladan would never leave her alone in the wilds after that. His talk to Elrond will have to happen a lot before I first imagined because he'd take her to Rivendell as soon as she was able to travel. Something I'll have to think about later.
    June 24, 2020, 09:55:40 PM
  • Guiga: I posted a very bare bones application because I expected to have problems with it like Hera and Marbys had, but everything worked just fine for me. I'll finish her during the week.
    June 22, 2020, 05:47:40 AM
  • Gard: But now you're good yes :)
    June 21, 2020, 03:38:13 PM
  • Gard: Same Yay and No Worries. I was planning on getting one more Nauroval reaction in either-way :)
    June 21, 2020, 12:32:05 PM
  • Ari: No worries Marbys
    June 21, 2020, 04:43:05 AM
  • Ari: (^○^) ~yay!~
    June 21, 2020, 04:42:57 AM
  • Marbys: *is on the way...
    June 21, 2020, 02:57:19 AM
  • Marbys: Sorry, Gard and Ari. I totally forgot about our thread!!! How could I? Next time I’m on the desktop, that’s the post I’ll be writing. Help in on the way for Nauroval!!!
    June 21, 2020, 02:56:32 AM
  • Hera: Done! Tracker is up!
    June 19, 2020, 10:11:07 PM
  • Hera: I think I'll go with just one to start.
    June 19, 2020, 09:17:04 PM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: [Hobbit + LotR] Warning: Do Not Trust  (Read 4123 times)

Rian

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Blue
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Warning: Do Not Trust
« on: July 14, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »

Single - Dwarf - 72

Rian was born in the Iron Hills, moved to the Grey Mountains and spent a good bit of her childhood there, and then ran off to travel the world and have all sorts of adventures. Eventually, she settled in Ered Luin. 'Settled' is a strong word in this context, but she's there most of the time. She's a compulsive liar with light fingers and a talent for running. Your characters may leave any encounters with Rian with less possessions than they entered with. Most of the time she'll be hiding behind different names. The two most common are Brís and Briosk; the characters belonging to the names change depending on the situation but Briosk is consistently male. She longs to smith but thinks it's too late to start now and will lie through her teeth to almost anyone about almost anything.

Enemies are easily made; she's proud and will repay insults. Any comment on what she forges will be treated with utmost seriousness. Rian also borrows things without permission or intention to give them back, which most people don't take well to - neither do they enjoy finding out they've been lied to. However, confrontations are more likely to involve words than blades - she isn't much of a fighter and will probably run from the prospect of violence. Literally.

Friends are few and far between. She doesn't want to get attached to anyone as she knows exactly how easy it is to trick people into trusting, and she doesn't consider herself a good person to know. Caring about others is a weakness that can be exploited and none of them would truly know her, anyway. But her shell's just waiting to be cracked... Friends will make her quite confused within herself, as she hasn't trusted anyone in a while.

I want to get this girl plotting! Some ideas that I wish to be done at some point include:
 She gets arrested on entering Ered Luin. The how and why of this, I have no idea. But I want to write it with someone.
 She has to steal from some people.
 She could meet people in Ered Luin that she has met before and have to deal with the consequences of stealing from/lying to them or try to avoid being recognised.
 Also, she really needs some friends to actually get past her stories and figure out who she is. She may betray them to try and convince herself she doesn't need them, though. I apologise.
 And I really want to get her telling ridiculous stories to at least one person. Like, really ridiculous. 'I'm secretly part of the royal line and I have the sea-unicorn-horn-crown to prove it' ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:02:45 PM by Ulmo »

(#008A15)

Fritz

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Oh my, well, who to throw your way first?

I'm thinking between my two dwarves, of course, and I know you know them by now :) so you can probably guess what I will say on where it could go

Dagmar: Oh the possibilities. Dags is a genuinely trusting soul after all, and would most certainly be taken in by Rian, at least at first. I could see her at least trying to be the most understanding even once finding out of course, or just throwing curious looks in the midst of said stories on Royal Guard and Unicorns. "R-Really?". Rian is more than welcome to lift paint supplies, as Dags can replace them fairly easily anyway. A work of art...well, that may actually hurt the girl :) but we can see where it goes if you want!

Fritz: Oh Fritz. Little weapon making and training with Fritz. He's not an official part of any guard, of course, but is rather suspicous and as on the look out for trouble as his brothers, so I coudl see him tagging after her if he knows "something is up". Nevermind he is his most confused with maidens and not good at hiding thoughts and keeping from saying them, even if bluntly and with few words. Much interest I would think here too! And of course if anything is stolen from him or the Forgery in general, he will be hunting it and Rian down! LOL

(#6B8E23)

Einar

• Archived
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
I have three lovely dwarves for you.

BALIN: he is loyal and advisor to Thorin. I don't know what your time frame is for Rian to come to Ered Luin, so he might be tricky, but he is here if you want him,

EINAR:  Now Einar is the oldes sibling to Dagmar and Fritz. He strong willed and hot temperd if you push the right buttons. He is of nobility and I guess part of Thorin's guard. Einar is quick with his axe and throwing knives. He could be the one that brings Rian to Thorin. Maybe he catching her steeling something or maybe he doesn't trust her and when she comes to Ered Luin she doesn't something that leads her to getting arrested and brought to Thorin?

Nylyan : Is my maiden, Nylyan likes to do her own thing. She rarely goes to any maiden events. She rather be in the woods learning how to hunt and be on her own. Maybe one day she would like to travel? Maybe Nylyan and Rian come across eachother in the woods and maybe some words are exchanged or threats are made? I do not know.

Rian

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
First, Gard!

Dagmar. Yes. Dags must meet Rian, poor trusting darling. Rian will probably feel bad about whatever she says. As well, she totally approves of Dags going against her mother to paint and would probably be quite jealous of her huge, close family. I think it'd work better if Rian was Brís for this meeting. Where should they meet, and when? I'm thinking outside Ered Luin, when Rian's still flitting in and out and trying to convince herself to settle down there. She could drill Dags for information about the likelihood of women being allowed to smith in the Blue Mountains and give very... interesting answers to questions about why she's asking.

Fritz - Rian could just be hanging around outside the forgery looking suspect but not actually doing anything illegal. Fritz could follow her because suspicious loitering dwarf who practically runs off - if something was lost or stolen at the same time, Rian would look like the culprit and he could go off after her? Rian would not appreciate this (WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?!) but she wouldn't want to get on Fritz's bad side. She holds anyone with any smithing ability in a sort of jealous awe and might even end up asking for lessons, if they got on. Rian could be under any name for this; I don't really mind. This could be later than the Dagmar thread?

Rah! I don't have any immediate ideas for Balin... Rian's in Ered Luin for a few years before the Quest and she's been visiting for almost a decade. Einar I'm very interested in threading with. I like the idea of him arresting her - wasn't stated in the app, but I was thinking the first time she comes to Ered Luin she'll be calling herself Briosk and pretending to be male, and she somehow survives the few days/weeks in jail without dropping the disguise. Maybe if Einar was out hunting and left some stuff - a pony with supplies on it or something - unattended, Rian could be in the process of stealing it and he catches her? She's doing this whole nervous glancing about thing at the thought of Thorin. Unless Hades wants to thread that, maybe Rian could get chucked in jail by Einar in order to wait for an audience, if Thorin's extra busy or away for some reason or something. And then she gets out or escapes before he comes back/gets time? This doesn't really affect Einar, but I'd like her to get put in jail before meeting Thorin, if she is going to meet him.

(#008A15)

Fritz

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Dagmar & Rian: Haha, no doubt the drilling will be quite interesting! As will the trying to figure out "I-is she making this up?" LOL. Ok, I agree, outside Ered Luin works, as does her just being "normal" Bris. The When works too, of her just trying to figure out if she would stay around, whatever year that would be.

Fritz & Rian: I agree here too, hanging around the Forgery looking suspect totally works! I would probably go with something having been stolen, and therefore giving Fritz a reason to be doubly suspicious of her hanging about. Either moniker works, though if she were going under Briosk, it might be interesting as Fritz isn't even aware at first he's trailing a maiden! "Oh, sorry...wait, no I'm not, what are you doing hanging about?!". And after Dags' thread sounds feasible to me too!

(#6B8E23)

Bofur

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Different account but anyway. Both sound solid, Gard! Howsabout you start one and I start the other? Briosk for the forge thread sounds good. Oooh, I have ideas for how this could start - shall I begin it?

(#612800)

Einar

• Archived
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
I love that, I think that is a good idea. We will have to check with Hades to see if she wants to thread that with you. I am sure she will, or when we get to that point we can have Hades jump in with Thorin. If you want me to start this thread, let me know!

Kvasir

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Cass
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Riaaaaan, oh how I have longed to plot with thee!  I will have to catch up on some of the posts I owe before I start any new threads but that doesn't mean we can't start planning our interactions... right?  Right??

Aesa:
My muse for the softly spoken maiden is relatively low at the moment so, if you don't mind, we will leave her to one side for now - but that doesn't mean we cannot thread them in the near future.  She would be one for you to throw your ridiculous story at as Aesa is gullible and even if she had her doubts she would be too polite to say so. :P  "A sea-unicorn-horn-crown?  Oh my, how very... delightful?"

Andar:
Ha, here is a couple of lines taken directly from his application: His inherent soft-heartedness could constitute a weakness. Wear a warm smile and an air of sincerity and you could bleed Andar dry without him resisting.  Well then, here is one that Rian can steal from or, better yet, get to willingly hand over his gold with a sob story or two.  His clothes would mark him as one of the nobility and he has his own incomes from hunting and dealing in furs.  They could meet in the forest, the tavern or elsewhere.  I'm sure keen eyes would quickly tell Rian that this Dwarf is quiet, gentlemanly and shy - and ripe for the taking.

Fíli:
Ho hum, I wonder how these two might cross paths.  I suppose he might encounter Rian if she is brought before Thorin or, if Hades is reluctant to jump into the thread, Fíli could be asked to attend the audience in his stead (first in the line of inheritance, after all, and the boy needs to learn).  Another possibility is that, should Rian ever steal from Dags, Fíli would make it his mission to get the items back.

Kvasir:
Well, the way I see it we have a whole ton of options with these two.  Rian ran with the street urchins in Ered Mithrin so it is entirely possible Kvasir would have met her then, in their childhood.  They might have worked together to steal, been involved in squabbles over stolen food or even have been friends.  If this is something you would like to pursue they can meet again years later, either on the road or in Ered Luin.  If you would prefer that Kvasir did not recognise Rian as an adult (especially if she is in disguise) I would happily go along with that and I would not be opposed to her recognising him - newfound muteness aside.

Alternatively (or in addition to some form of the above) Rian is welcome to steal from Kvasir on the road.  As a thief himself he has a sharp eye for such a thing and he is fast on his feet, so he is likely to run her down - as fast as she is, he is dogged, determined and cannot afford to be stolen from.  It would be interesting when he caught her too, given Kvasir grew up surrounded by women and is used to adopting a protective man-of-the-house role, there is no way he would punish her.  Perhaps he catches Rian and, after talking it out, he allows his heart to rule his head and lets his guard down - and gets pilfered from again, as he sleeps, and does not catch Rian the second time.  That could set them up for an awkward interaction later in Ered Luin if he recognises her there (or maybe it is lies rather than a theft that catches Rian out).  Kvasir could bring something of his to be mended, such as his riding tack, and knows her face - he is not likely to forget a thief that successfully steals from him.

The fact Rian relies on her words to parry with others while Kvasir (to all intents and purposes) has no speech will make for an interesting interaction.  He might even find himself uncharacteristically jealous of her, given that once he was known for his witty tongue and smart mouth.

All this aside, I can see Kvasir befriending Rian - despite the lies, theft, betrayals and her gender (women make him nervous, after all).  Kvasir knows how hard life on the road, or in Ered Mithrin, can be (depending on how much/what Rian tells him that is) and I think over time he would come to recognise that her behaviour is her shield, much as ale, laughter and easy smiles are his.

What are your thoughts?  I am open to entirely new suggestions or improvements to the ideas I have thrown out. ^_^

Note on dates (I was trying to work them all out in my head but it is easier to have them written):
Rian arrives in Ered Mithrin in 2887
Kvasir moves to the barracks in 2892
Kvasir becomes a soldier in 2907
Rian leaves Ered Mithrin in 2919
Kvasir leaves Ered Mithrin in 2920
Kvasir arrives in Ered Luin in 2922
Rian arrives in Ered Luin and is arrested in May 2932
Rian settles in Ered Luin in 2937

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
We can so plot interactions, don't you worry. *Commences*

XD Poor Aesa... But okay, we shall leave her to one side. For now. Rian is doing mock evil laughter. Moving on.

Rian is delighted by the prospect of Andar. She's already scheming. I'd hide him. She's trying not to do anything illegal in Ered Luin, or at least not get caught, so the idea of just getting someone to hand her money/stuff/whatever catches her eye is very appealing. Perhaps the tavern? Or the stables - I can see her hiding in there to avoid someone and promptly feeding him a sob story in order to get him to help her.

Fili and/or Thorin would work! I'll ask Hades in a moment if she's interested in this... Oh my, I can imagine the reaction if he tracked her down. 'Really. I take one painting, and of course, it happens to belong to the Prince's girlfriend. Really. The universe hasn't yet forgiven me for the two knives, has it?' *Takes off running* She hadn't decided whether or not she'll steal from Dags yet, though if she does, this thread must happen.

KVASIR AND RIAN MUST BE DODGY OUTSIDER FRIENDS XD YES. Ahem. They'd definitely have known each other as children. I kinda would like him to recognise her, though maybe not at first. But she'll freak all the way out on recognising him and probably bolt, which would draw his attention if nothing else. Hold on, I shall attempt to get my thoughts into some form of a coherent order...

- Our troublemakers knew each other as children. Maybe they were friends. I don't think they'd have been best friends, but let's say they were friends and do some theft! It'd be nice to use kid Rian and Kvasir, and hear his voice. Rian probably looks up to him as he's a little older and is much more experienced at mischief.
 - I'm totally up for stealing from him while they're both travelling! Maybe she just grabs something from his pony without meeting him, gets chased down and caught and then proceeds to spend the conversation trying not to remind him of herself? She'd have dark hair on the road, which would help with the not-recognising, although I'm not sure which disguise to hide her behind... But I'd prefer if Kvas doesn't properly recognise her at this stage, although she may seem familiar. If necessary this thread doesn't have to be done now, while you're so busy, but could be referenced in a thread set later and then we could do it at some point. Or we could do it now.
 - Completely awkward meeting in Ered Luin, yessss. She's blonde again by the time she settles, so at this point Kvas could connect her face with both her kid self and her adult thief self? That conversation will be fun, especially since she hates her job but is trying to keep it, and really doesn't want it to be known that she's a thief.

Anyway. ALLL the threads. Also, thanks for the timeline! I should have done that earlier...

(#FFE600)

Kvasir

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Cass
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Yay, all the threads!! 8D

Hee hee, nope, I shan't be hiding big softie Andar from the cunning Rian - the boy needs to learn!  I would suggest the stables over the tavern, given that is where Andar spends much of his time and is more likely to be alone.  He will be only to ready to help her and Rian won't have to rob him, the sob story will be enough.  Ha, she could probably make a habit of seeking Andar out if she wanted, it would likely take him some time to realise that he is being taken for a ride.

Buwhaha, poor Rian and her sorry luck!  *Fili takes off running after her, a little flushed by the girlfriend comment*  I can keep the Prince on the back bench for now, then he can come in later if Rian is dragged before the royal(s) or if Rian does steal from Dags.  Either way there were be threading opportunities aplenty. :)

YES, DODGY OUTSIDER FRIENDS FOR THE WIN! XD  A childhood thread (or a whole collection of them) is a must, I too have been itching to hear Kvasir speak and to explore his time in Ered Mithrin.  Besides, Dwarflings be adorable. =3  I imagine the poor children probably roved about in packs and, given his home situation, Kvasir would probably look out for the younger ones and show them the ropes of thieving and begging.  Our scoundrels will make a right little team!

Haha, yes, Rian can attempt to filch something of Kvasir's on the road.  Any preference on location?  I'd be happy for Kvasir not to recognise her at this stage though I agree he will likely find her vaguely familiar.  Then later, in Ered Luin, everything will click into place.  Haha, I can just see his face when that realisation dawns on him! XD  Kvasir won't be one to out her as a thief but I'm sure his recognising her will still give Rian cause to squirm some.

Right, so, would you like to start the thread for Rian and Andar?  I will add the childhood thread between Rian and Kvasir to my list and will get it started ASAP.  Or we can divvy them up the other way round, if you prefer.  Once I get caught up a bit we can get the theft thread and the Ered Luin thread rolling too. ^_^

I rather like that they will have drifted in and out of one another's lives from childhood, all the way through to their both settling in Ered Luin.

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Well let me just say, you guys know me too well, I need to change up my style of collecting threads to leave you guys in the dark! xD Jk. Well, I think Thorin would most definitely be interested in plotting this out, but Thorin and myself are a little confused about what we would be roleplaying exactly. We got the idea of being arrested for horse stealing, but he is confused as to where he would come in, in all this... if that is understandable at all... Haha.

speech color code: 102372

played by Hades sig by Hades!

Dagmar

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
Well Dags feelings may just get all confused if Rian is also taking Andi for a ride! I think it would hit her worse than possible painting thefts and get her truly defensive!

*Dags blushes and glances aside at terming too*

She's slightly relieved to hear Rian may not steal from her though still concerned with this taking stuff from Andar. But that's just she finds out XD I can keep my adorable maiden in the dark if needed <3

(#FFFF00)

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Andar - we'll start with one encounter, anyway... Stables it is! I'll add it to my list to start. And any time from her arriving onwards would be grand timeline-wise for me, unless you have a preference?

Kvasir - XD They'll be the best rascals. If you could start it would be lovely! I have no idea regarding location for the theft thread; agreed on waiting a bit before starting it and the Ered Luin thread up as I'm not doing terribly well at keeping up at replies right now... And yeah, I love it!

Thorin - The idea is that Rian gets herself arrested on entering Ered Luin by attempting to steal from Einar and getting caught. She's then jailed, and then presumably at some point brought before Thorin as he's the dwarf king and she's a misbehaving outsider. Presumably, he gets to decide what's done with her as she's a danger to his people. Does that explain things? Or she can escape/be released without meeting him, if you wish.

Poor Dagmar - Andar'd be later than Dags, so she wouldn't have that to worry about for the first meeting, anyway. Rian insists that it's not taking, it's being given stuff. I don't know, we'll work it out later... Although Rian is being to wonder if everyone in the whole of Ered Luin is a child of Anlaf and Liv.

(#FFE600)

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Ah yes! that explains much, Blue! I would love to get Thorin involved, he needs to be in more threads anyway and it will be great for him! ^^b We can either have an independent thread or I can jump in when ya'll are ready for me jump! Haha.

played by: Hades speech color: B3C963 siggy made by: Pip!

Manwë

• Administrator
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Independent thread, I think... But not just yet, or I won't be able to reply for about three weeks. Just Thorin, or Thorin and Fili?

Avatar by Phobs-heh, signature by Cass~

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Annúngilel: Reply for Nauroval and Shadowfax [link]
    June 27, 2020, 12:11:22 AM
  • Gard: Tag for Arahin [link]
    June 25, 2020, 01:41:34 PM
  • Ari: Tag for Gandalf [link]
    June 16, 2020, 07:01:59 AM
  • Dory: Plotter tag for Aragorn/Estel
    June 16, 2020, 05:06:42 AM