Manwë admin Manwë
Administrator
Husbeast admin Husbeast
Administrator
Nienna gmod Nienna
Estë gmod Estë
Vairë gmod Vairë

* Vote For Us

RPG-D RPG Initiative Middle Earth Top10 RP Lovers J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100 Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

* Awards

Author Topic: Who Needs History Programing  (Read 1641 times)

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Gard
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Who Needs History Programing
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »
The sound of rushing water grew all about him, and he could tell it was about to get very very bad...gripping to the odd wooden surface beneath him, he took in a deep breath to prepare himself for the sudden drop down a small fall of the river and a further tumbling along, perhaps a good chunk of it under the water...

Startling awake, Bob Balinger shook his head. What, in the line of crazy eccentric dreams, had that been? All the same, and even the familiar surroundings of his upstairs loft sort of a room above his families prized museum of house ware antiquities reminded him of it being a dream, Bob searched to make sure he wasn't in fact drenched to the bone.

He wasn't of course, aside from the slight moisture a belief in a dream was like to produce. All the same, he'd felt chilled upon awakening as if he had been dunked in a river. But that was silly, insane even!

Bob had never been anywhere near a river, not since after the age of twelve anyway! And even on those few vacations his parents had been able to take when finding trustworthy enough folks to watch the Emporium, Bob had always mostly stayed in the RV or whatever they took, playing card or board games with relatives or even his stuffed animals when no one could be found (when very young anyway).

Shaking his head, Bob swore to himself that whatever he ate last night before bed would have to be cut from his routine. That was usually where bad or odd dreams came from, a poor choice of food, or that's what one of the magazines decorating a table of the Emporium for the 1970's section said. The article may have been written then too, Bob wasn't sure.

At any rate, the dream was done, and there was work to do this day. Mainly opening up Balinger's Emporium, an odd collection of housewares and nick-knacks from the 18 hundreds to end of the 1990's (since anything from the current century was not interesting really).

In actuality, the place had started as a storage space for all the odds and ends the Balinger's relatives seemed to love leaving or just plain giving to them, and at one point a friend's comment that they had history here, of a sort, spurred Bob's grandfather to start up a museum of sorts.

It was a good thing his family was also semi-well off, because the idea was little more than a hobby and museum care-taking of this nature was not likely to be profitable enough to make a livelihood off of.

To Bob as well, livlihood was not the name of the game. Family pride was, and taking on a care-taking duty that had been going strong for three generations now. He expected it to continue and go strong for four as well, soon as he figured out how exactly when he'd been so focused on his duty to his family's place he hadn't gained a family of his own.

Not that there hadn't been prospects of course, more when younger, they just...usually moved on when finding exactly how dedicated Bob Balinger was to his family legacy. He suppose they feared one sided focus of attention, and if he was honest with himself he could see why.

Plus children made him nervous, and that was sure to have gotten in the way.

No, Bob decided, his life was just fine as it was. He headed downstairs to the vast collection that was his family's whole legacy and most of their focus. Oh sure, his parents had also raised him, but...Bob wouldn't call a childhood of tip-toeing past fine china full...

He shook his off, no, best not delve into his My Childhood was Lacking story again even to himself. He made a point to only ever tell it to himself too.

Polishing the spoons and setting them back into their cases, and making sure the chairs were in order, Bob brushed up on his memorized history so far as House Wares went and Innovations and such. See, there was a purpose to his museum, technology in the past 20th Century really had been the most fascinating.

Validated, Bob walked through his collection once more, ensuring a second time everything was in order before feeling he was tour ready. Walking over to the door and peering out the side windows on eihter side, Bob was pleased not to see a bus or anything yet at least.He switched his sign and unlocked the doors and then went to sit at the Visitor's Center made from an old hotel counter his father had had put in in case he should actually get visitors this day.

(mediumblue)

Dénor

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
Why on earth he had come to this place was beyond him. Maybe it was the prompting form Ginger, his unpaid intern, which made him want to see this spectacular place. But, being a man of business he rarely had the time to visit museums that housed, well, anything! The fact that Ginger had pressured him into taking a day off was impressive enough to be sure, but to a museum? Archimedes had been kind enough to give Ginger the day off so that she could accompany him to this… spectacle. She herself seemed rather excited, saying the owner was very nice and that if he did anything to intimidate the poor the man he would be representing his company in a bad way. As the two walked side by side down the sidewalk that lead to Bob’s Emporium, he tried not to ask her many questions about this ‘Bob’ she seemed to have a soft spot for. Surely she couldn’t be intending to date this man? Many queer things passed through Archimedes’ mind as they drew closer to the emporium, it was indeed an impressive building. Like something you would see out of a movie, for it was in fact a house, but Archimedes wasn’t expecting the owner to be so… attached to his belongings.

Oh good! He’s open. I was afraid that he wouldn’t be this time of the morning!” It was early; Ginger said as pulled door open and waited for Archimedes to pass through. Instead he came up behind her and in a very gentlemanly way said, “Ladies first, my dear.” There was a short pause before his intern decided to follow through and so he followed closely behind her. The walls were decorated with vintage wallpaper, and the crown molding was ideal for its century. But like most old homes, Archimedes had an uncomfortable feeling. His blue gaze slowly took in everything that lined the staircase various spoon collections, but lots of framed butterflies accompanied them. It was very… interesting. The wood floors hardly creaked under his steps and when his eyes finally landed on the man behind the front desk, which was next to the stair case, he raised an eyebrow.

Mr. Balinger!” Ginger greeted with a bright smile, which only slightly confused him that she actually meant the smile instead of giving it sarcastically to his secretary. The tall man stood back, away from the front desk and instead occupied his mind with the contents of the other rooms, walking into one on his left which was setup like a dining room. Looking at each piece carefully his mind immediately went to how much each piece of the dining set would sell for in England alone! There are several people who would love to have such an exquisite set of dining chairs such as these. Then he heard his name called and he turned to see Ginger motioning him back into the front hall of the house. Returning to the lobby, or what he guessed was the Lobby, he found that Ginger had taken care of their tour.

Whatever the case, this was going to prove to be interesting… he had never really been on a ‘field trip’ before, his family being too poor to allow him to go on such things, but then he never really cared and instead would stay at the school studying. Hard work was how Archimedes Vassalos came to be what he was, anyone who said it was luck that got him to the top was bound to get their face rearranged by yours truly! If anything, Ginger was here to keep him civil. She had only been working for him for a couple of months, but he felt oddly calm around her… well, accept in the office. He never had properly apologized for throwing a clipboard at her in one of his random bursts of temper…

out of cookies;
Ah, yeah hope this is alright if I need to add more let me know! <3

Ginger and Bob's conversation can be the usual if you want to rp that. She'd probably just ask him how he was, assuming you, myself and Loki ever do that Al, Ging and Bob thread where Ginger is trying to hide from him for some apparent reason... we can always pretend that, maybe, this thread comes after that?

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
{All that works with me!}

While Bob would still say (Family) Business was Good, and he had his steady stream of interested individuals flock by, the Emporium was, in all truth, hardly ever packed and Bob hardly ever, in more truth, had visitors before lunch.

His "interested" cliental could, and did, contain everything and anything from just those about town to school teachers and their messy fingered students, to less sticky fingered Upper school students having to do reports and such.

All the same, hardly any of the groups came before noon, unless it was said school fitting in an odd scheduling around classes and such. So why, then, did he insist on being open this early? Bob wasn't sure, only that...well he had the oddest feelings at times, like...he'd miss something if he were closed too late or closed up too early.

It was an undefined feeling, and saw Bob sometimes just sitting in the empty part of his down stairs Emporium well after cleaning up and well after the time he should expect anyone to come by. He'd just stare out the window, trying to put a name on this. anxiety? Discontent? Expectation?...something like that.

A feeling that would come, puzzle him a bit, and pass, letting him get back to caring for his family's legacy. A bad foreboding that no doubt had just been heralding the incident of not that long ago.

Had anyone ever told Bob he would be sticking his nose anywhere near a loan shark like Alistair Doyle's business, he would have owned them for crazy and possibly avoided them for the rest of the day be they on tours or just passing by, thinking the whole thing a sort of a set up maybe and he wire tapped.

Yet, the young woman who had suddenly burst in upon him had not been any sort of spy, but a frazzled young victim of said mobster loan shark...and Bob had found, despite his own protests, he could truly do little but help Miss Ginger Lee out.

Helping her out really only entailed allowing her to use an old wardrobe on display to hide in (the actual closet being too obvious). After that it was a blur or quick answers, stuttering, break ins and sneaking outs.

To say life had been un-paranoid since that time would be untrue, and in fact many times Bob almost paused before unlocking his door, but...all in all he wouldn't say he was sorry to have helped the girl out or anything.

All the same, he gave a small jump as the door opened and the small bell he'd rigged up rang. Glancing over, he saw it was anything but cause for alarm, though, even if it be the cause of said alarm before in a way.

"Miss Lee?", and guest his mind finished. Bob stood, puzzlement and yet pleasant surprise written on his face. Why sight of this girl was a good thing was so very hard to explain, yet Bob liked her as well in the way one would someone they had helped and now felt a sort of...guardian person's concern of some guarding family position on.

That didn't make sense at all...yet another hard defined feeling.

All the same, Bob smiled pleasantly and shook the young lady's hand, yet also noticing as her companion wandered. "Oh, I'm doing just fine, Miss Lee" he returned his gaze to her from having been watching her friend and answered her logical next inquiry into his state once greeting was over.

"And yourself?" was the next need to know question, of which Bob was genuinely concerned, had Mr. Doyle been bothering her anymore? The man was most certainly never allowed back into Balinger's Emporium for his trouble...and latter, Bob would think up something harsher and more fitting of his crimes, such as how one went about getting restraining orders and such...

Pleasant chat and her answering this pushed these thoughts from his mind, though. She seemed to dodge around answering "Just fine" to the inquiry, and Bob frowned, wondering how much of it she meant even as she went on to answer about her bookstore more so in answer to how she was.

He nodded, finding it quite fascinating to hear she ran something as well, and he was quite impressed. Yet if he recalled, that along with other things was how she had come to be in her precarious position in the first place. "Well, I think that's just fine and quite commendable, Miss Lee" he smiled brightly, "Not everyone who can make a business run, and...well I don't mean my little place, this is more of a...junk pile gathering admissions to it" he gave an unsure chuckle.

The moment this lead to her inquiring into a tour, Bob was quick to reassure, "Well of course I'll show you around, and of course it will be at no charge, not for a friend" he nodded, and was firm on this point until Ginger was forced to wave over her companion who had been over by the tables.

Bob couldn't help glancing to his pockets a bit, just to make sure no spoons were poking out or anything from the loose decorative type ware on the tables. Glued down but still there.

"Bob Balinger", he went on to extend a hand and offer an introduction, even if Miss Lee probably already told him. "Well, yes, and as I told Miss Lee here, you two shall get to hear me ramble free of charge, so hopefully there's no complaints", he smiled from the odd man who's feelings on all this he couldn't quite read, back to Ginger and then went on to explain.

"The whole place follows a sort of logical tilt, even if you may or may not have noticed before Miss Lee, so far as the rooms will allow, but invention wise it starts with the 1800's over here, late anyway, and let me tell you I find it just fascinating how un-barbaric a living chaps were able to eek out back then! I mean you ask me to go without running water...".

Bob had meant rambling when he'd said it before.

{Hehe, yeah for a "guide" as you may need it for their reactions, Bob's tour follows a progression from 1800 stuff to 80-90's once they get upstairs, but they don't have to reach there in one post, and yes, I imagine a bunch of just idle chatter and conversation is probably sprinkled all along so anything Ginger wants to ask on Bob will answer no matter how much time it takes XD}

(mediumblue)

Dénor

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Ah yes, well this was the part of the visit that was going to be the most boring! Why had he ever allowed Ginger to bring him here? How many more people had she dragged here anyway! Not knowing a whole lot about her it was difficult to decide if she had a boyfriend (God help the lad) or not! Well, whomever he was he had a lot on his hands and no mistake, he had truly underestimated his unpaid college intern. He must have been out drinking when he agreed to it because the preliminaries were taking forever as Ginger and the man who owned the midcentury house about pleasantries. Something he never really had much time for unless you had an appointment set up at the office. That was Archimedes trouble, he didn’t have enough appointments at the office so he had decided to fill his morning with … things he could easily sell on the world market for thousands of dollars! He gave a small sigh as he walked out of the dining room.

Bob Balinger,” Archimedes couldn’t help but start at the sudden introduction and out of habit shook the man’s hand in a firm and businesslike way. “Archimedes Vassalos.” He replied after letting go of Mr. Balinger’s hand. “Well, yes, and as I told Miss Lee here, you two shall get to hear me ramble free of charge, so hopefully there's no complaints.” The man went on and Archimedes thought; I highly doubt that. Then Bob turned back to Ginger and began his tour, “The whole place follows a sort of logical tilt, even if you may or may not have noticed before Miss Lee, so far as the rooms will allow, but invention wise it starts with the 1800's over here…” Bob’s voice grew distant as different things hanging on the walls, or on display caught his attention.

The progression through the 1800’s was much slower than Archimedes would have liked, Ginger kept asking questions about one artifact after another that caught her interest and Bob was more than happy to tell the history to the best of his knowledge about the piece, or pieces, to which Ginger had inquired about. ‘What does this do again?’, ‘How long has been in the family!?’, ‘You have done a marvelous job at maintaining everything, Mr. Balinger, don’t you think so Mr. Vassalos?’, “Hmm, oh, yes… quite.” She seemed completely satisfied and it almost mystified him, how often did the girl get out!?  

By the time they had progressed from the late 1800’s to the early 20th century Archimedes found more things to his liking – especially the phonograph. “I have one just like it where I stay.” Ginger commented before pointing out the differences between the one on display and the one she actually used at home, which was apparently a hand-me-down from her grandmother’s, grandmother’s, grandma… or whatever. Then, as if to ruin his enjoyment they took forever to get through the early 20th century, to the mid-20th-century, and it seemed this pattern repeated as they progressed through the rooms. Archimedes automatically condemned himself to be ‘The Bird Man of Alcatraz’ only in Middleton instead of California! It was so tempting to just start wandering about for himself, but he kept himself close to the babbling Geeks… nerds… or whatever they were called for reasons he didn’t really care to take the time to explore.

o o c |
Hope you like it, Gard, sorry it is rather shorter than I wanted but longer than I expected. If there is anything that needs changing you just let me know and I'll fix it for ya! Also, if anything needs to be added we can talk about what to add over PM if ya'd like! :3

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 02:32:00 AM »
Miss Lee was doing him a service only. She had to be, no young lady could be this interested, genuinely sounding interested, in his odd collection. Not that Bob wasn't very appreciative and grateful.

He found a tour giving and almost story teller's narrative voice as he went on expounding on and explaining all the various artifacts that cluttered lined his family's pride and grand project. Interest various and waned along the beginning part, to no great surprise of Mr. Balinger. He often found folks didn't really care about the more barbaric times before electricity and running water. Not unless they had a special reason such as study or a livelihood collecting things, such as his.

Predictably interest waxed again as they progressed nearer and nearer their own century. Through out the tour and talk, Miss Lee did him the justice before noticed, asking all sorts of questions which Bob only too happily answered to the best of his knowledge, and it was quite up to par!

He could not help, though, keeping one eye upon Mr. Vassalos. If he was with Miss Lee, it did him a great service in the eyes of the museum caretaker, but the man just had Flippant Black Market seller written all over him, or seemed to. Oh yes, those types had to be watched for, and Bob Balinger had come across them before. Something in the way they took in the artifacts would serve as a first clue, then next thing you knew your plates and a very hard removed grand father clock both would be gone!

The latter had yet to happen, but Bob had heard horrid stories! Mr. Vassalos seemed to be behaving himself, though, even if perhaps only for his young companion's sake. His Employee if Bob caught correctly.

The caretaker couldn't help smiling ever more genuine as Ginger took an even greater interest in the phonograph, even telling him of one she had from a relative or such at her own place! That was usually where anyone got them.

"Ah! Well then Miss Lee, I would say you are well on your way to starting such yourself, if you so chose, though no doubt your bookstore does well enough". Where on earth this congenial comment and even feel came from, Bob still didn't know, except for their both having survived Mr. Doyle's wrath together, in a sense, and the man feeling he should continue to look out for her.

He could only imagine what rubbish he spread along rumor wise, with this guarding sort of protectiveness, but Bob felt a sudden defiance of addressing rumor either one way or another! Much as people thinking bad of him could ruin his already shaking business hours.

Mr. Vassalos had been nothing but quiet the whole of the tour, and now as they neared an end, Bob felt he should try to include the man in some form of conversation, especially as Ginger glanced back to him once more.

Mr. Balinger cleared his throat and stood a bit taller, not that he was short...though he was perhaps just a tad, as he addressed the man. "Miss Lee tells me you have quite the collection yourself? Tell me Mr. Vassalos, do you...show your birds or are they...pets only?".

Why did he feel that was the dumbest thing he could have asked?

{Not sure what I handed you here either, and it was rather short as well. Hmm...I'm still trying to think up a further plot for this perhaps or just direction for next...}

(mediumblue)

Dénor

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
[ooc:: It feels kinda short. I hope I gave you enough to work with.]

Ginger smiled at Bob, he was so kind! She really hadn’t meant to intrude upon him humble museum running from a debt collector. She had hidden in the wardrobe for the time being, and although she wished the wardrobe had led to Narnia, well, we all know that is impossible! Things of story books and fairytales were just that, fairytales. She wasn’t going to lead an extraordinary life, not even the wildest of her dreams would come true. She was a hard working college student, with amazing time management skills and a bookstore that was on the mayor’s Hit List. Or at least, it was on Mr. Doyle’s. “Ah! Well then Miss. Lee, I would say you were well on your way to starting such yourself, if you chose, though, no doubt your bookstore does well enough.” She smiled again, genuinely this time. “Yes, it suffices.

Bob turned from Ginger, and paid his own attentions now to Archimedes. At last. Maybe now we can get somewhere. He thought, putting his hands in his pockets. Mr. Balinger straightened himself up, and strode over to where Archimedes was standing. “Miss. Lee tells me you have quite the collection yourself? Tell me, Mr. Vassalos, do you… show your birds or are they… pets only?

Instinctively he could feel his feathers being ruffled. He didn’t like it when people assumed he kept his birds to himself, as much as he enjoyed the song filled silence of his house. People were more than welcome to come over and go through the rooms he paid his maid a very heavy sum to keep clean, and look at his birds. Only the problem seemed to be that he didn’t have any real friends that cared to come over and look at his magnificent birds! All accept a young girl who worked at the local zoo, and Miss. Lee who seemed to be friends with everyone.

There was an awkward silence between the two as Archimedes took a moment to try and smooth his feathers and realign everything. “Mr. Balinger,” He said smoothly, trying to ignore the instinctive hint of amusement in the undertones of his voice, “I take as much pride in my birds as you take in your… artifacts. Though I don’t suppose that forks and spoons carry as much interest as colorful, live animals.” In other words, yes he does show his birds. “Abercrombie and Nevermore have won many prizes over the years, and there are many more yet to come.Which is more than what I can say for this little… gem of Middleton. A dull gem, but a gem none the less.

I’m afraid there is nothing more I can say, Mr. Balinger.” Archimedes went on, “My birds are for my pleasure, and if people wish to intrude upon my privacy to gaze at their lovely feathers, then I am more than happy to oblige. Now about your model planes…” Archimedes motioned to the WWI models of several different planes, “You wouldn’t happen to have a life-size model, would you?” That was what he was more interested in, at least at the moment. Ginger was happily browsing Bob’s bookshelves and plucking one after the other off the shelf, and flipping through it carefully. The book she was holding, he noticed, was a rare edition of The Chronicles of Narnia.

Blinking, he turned his attention back to Mr. Balinger.

In speaking of wardrobes and Narnia. Ginger was busy occupying her time by flipping through the books on Mr. Balinger’s shelves. With care, of course. And among them had been a first edition Chronicles of Narnia. Even if Ginger never knew true love, what she was feeling towards the books was something special like true love. Carefully, and not too hurriedly, she plucked The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe from the shelf and opened it up to the first page.

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Bob truly hadn't meant any trouble by his comment, it was just innocent blustering, yet he could tell the man before him seemed to take offense, mostly by his words.

“Mr. Balinger, I take as much pride in my birds as you take in your… artifacts. Though I don’t suppose that forks and spoons carry as much interest as colorful, live animals.”

Bob gave a small smile back, if a bit tight, it was obvious the man was going for insults, yet he determined not to rise to it if only for Miss Ginger's sake.

“Abercrombie and Nevermore have won many prizes over the years, and there are many more yet to come.”

"Yes, I'm sure there are", Bob went on, again hiding any displeasure when he'd, no doubt, inadvertently started it all in the first place. "You'll have to forgive me, Sir, I know so little of birds". Archimedes moved on, though, inquiring about Bob's planes. That was a good common ground as any, and Bob was glad to hear he had an interest. He also scanned over his mental inventory of artifacts and exhibits to see what he did have to Mr. Archimedes request. More than a model, an actual...yes!

"If you don't mind it being Germany, Sir, yes Sir", Bob smiled. Germany may call him up some day and discuss about the artifact on British soil, but at the moment it was safely tucked and guarded in Bob's WWII section. He didn't even let school boys spit on it, going into a defense of the metal workers and their blindness at times when snappish boys got disrespectful.

Good machinery was good machinery.

"And an American sub and a few of our own fine planes both", he lead the way back to the WWII section, pausing and noticing Miss Lee's interest at his bookshelf. He smiled and gave her a nod. "Quite a selection of good writings from that time as well, oh just imagine if books truly could take you places instead of just imagined". Actually, it sounded rather scary! But, when they couldn't, it was a safe comment.

Continuing on around to the WWII section, and the planes Archimedes had asked over, Bob gestured, "and here we have the larger, actually working, models...er, well, they don't run now...". Bob was often disclaimering with that, most times to kids, but Mr. Archimedes didn't seem the sort to hop in and try to start one up...hopefully.

{It was enough, and hope the same <3 Basically whatever kind of plane Archimedes is looking for can be what Bob has ^^ I know some on bombers and such but, just take it where you will! ~}

(mediumblue)

Dénor

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
ooc| D8 OMG... so long since I replied to this ...

Bob’s obvious displeasure was none of Archimedes’ direct concern. In fact, how people felt about his birds were absolutely none of his concern. He knew what he liked, and he liked it like that. When other people found a problem with this he waved them away, shoved them into a dark corner and never saw them again. The last person who had insulted his birds … well, it had ended badly for them. Oh! Please, don’t misunderstand. It usually only happens with sore losers who lose to his prize pair of Ravens! Calling him out for bribing the judges – who were never bribed – or some ridiculous claim like that. He was an investor, his business was to invest in privately owned businesses, keeping some of the profit and building up his own businesses. He had many hobbies, so he had a lot of money, a nice car and a soft spot for the poor college girl who worked her fingers to the bone for him without a single ‘thank you’ from him unless he was trying to be polite in front of potential business partners. “You’ll have to forgive me, sir, I know so little of birds.” Archimedes smiled curtly, it was the only smile he knew how to give to people like Bob.

As to his question about the life sized planes, that seemed to get the little museum owner thinking. That was what this place was, wasn’t it? A museum that was hardly worth visiting. I am trying very hard to remember why Ginger brought me here. I can’t seem to recall very well.If you don’t mind it being German, sir.” Of course not, they may have almost conquered the world, but that didn’t make them bad engineers. Just look at what they’ve done for the world today! Well, sort of. Their cars were worth investing in. To Archimedes’ annoyance, Bob went on with the list, “And an American sub, and a few of our own fine planes both.Peachy. Just what I need. More R.A.F. He thought, thinking about the planes that flew over head every now and then. He followed Bob, but not before he stopped and commented to his employee practically salivating over the books in Bob Balinger’s literary section. What didn’t the man have?

Ginger put The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe back on the shelf. “Quite a selection of good writings from that time as well, oh just imagine if books truly could take you places instead of just imagined.Oh yes! Imagine if they could! She thought. The worlds in books were more important than the real world, in her opinion. She had a job, her parents couldn’t get upset with her over that. She was making a little money by owning a bookstore AND she had moved out of the house and in with Cassandra. She could imagine all she wanted that books could take her to made up places, far away from the stress of the real world. She smiled and nodded to Bob as he went on, Archimedes following behind, looking more stiff than usual. She knew he didn’t like to go out, but when she accidentally stumbled upon this place, he just had to see it! It was the most adorable, elegant place, and she couldn’t think of anywhere else she would rather be than looking at all the things in the house! Turning, she noticed a small chest and went over, carefully lifting the lid to see what was inside.

“and here we have the larger, actually working, models...er, well, they don't run now...” They had made their way to a much larger section of the house (by bigger he meant outside?). Before him was a piece of history that he had seen several times in the history books, and if he remembered correctly, dreamed of seeing one in real life. The first time he had actually seen one were the ones, in the now, run down airport when he had been in grade school. Still, the sight was magnificent! His breath was taken away, and he gazed in wonder – not awe – at the condition in which these things were kept. However, no smile appeared on his face, and as far as his over outward emotional response, it was nonexistent. “Impressive, Sir, very impressive.” He said, the smile being hinted in his tone of voice, “I was not expecting such a display of items, I surely thought you were only jesting! It seems I was in the wrong. Tell me, were you aware of the planes in the old hanger off of Aviator Avenue?” Archimedes had kept an eye on the hanger, and in truth his planners were planning on buying the old hanger, destroying it and giving the land a sort of makeover, their only problem was they couldn’t really decide on what they wanted to put in place of the hanger. “I mention it because if I didn’t know any better, I would say that at least one of these planes came from there.” Stolen? He highly doubted it. Perhaps one of them was a family heirloom, like everything else on the property.  

Bilbo Baggins

• Hobbits
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:37:00 AM »
The Bird-Man (was that the right way of phrasing it? For one who looked after birds? An Enthusiast perhaps) gave a curt smile to Bob's fumbling for proper address and all and it seemed to Mr. Balinger that he had still messed up. Well, but little surprise in that! Bob just nodded once more and moved on. The topic of planes seemed a better one anyway, Mr. Archimedes bored look made way--just slightly--at it, or seemed to. Promising enough!

His own and Miss Ginger's mutual recollecting on the quite fantastic and childish (all in all!) idea of books transporting beyond mere imagination distracted a bit but only slightly. For all the folly of it, Bob couldn't help but cling to the idea though, even if lightly. Something about the idea just seemed to hold and take root amongst Middleton.

Plus, sincere as the thought was held, he was happy to humor and reassure Ginger a bit even if just with agreeing. She was a sweet girl. If Bob hadn’t been an only child and had nieces and nephews he'd hope for them about the success and such he even lightly wished the student.

Avoiding Alisyar Doyle was one start point! Blasted Loan Shark! Though Bob's pathetic lack of spin need be remembered even as he sounded defending, the curator reminded himself.

But the Planes!

A Hanger attached to the back started off the set and with doors leading to an open pavilion of sorts. No dedicated run-way space, since the planes didn't run, but loading was feasible...not that Bob sold planes often or ever or anticipated to. Still, they said Anything for the Right Price. Bob wasn't sure if he believed it...

Impressive, Sir, very impressive.

The man couldn't fool Bob. Not far anyway! He was impressed. The curator just smiled.

I was not expecting such a display of items, I surely thought you were only jesting! It seems I was in the wrong. Tell me, were you aware of the planes in the old hanger off of Aviator Avenue?

Bob looked intrigued. Aviator Avenue...he wracked his brain for if he'd heard of or on it. He hit on an answer even as the man went on. Pretty much beating Bob to what he would have gone on to admit.

I mention it because if I didn’t know any better, I would say that at least one of these planes came from there.

There was light insinuation in that! Or Bob was being over-sensitive, the curator reminded himself how likely the latter was. You are flusterable, Bob Balinger!.

Bob sighed, "Yes Sir, I believe my dear father made mention of having one or other of the planes donated to our Emporium. Fancy way of saying "bought" after my father made a monetary contribution of his own to the airport's renovation and was "gifted" planes in return". A Donation for a Donation. But nothing underhanded and Bob hoped he didn't make it sound as such.

"We've a few you can walk on inside and explore the cockpit of, if you wish", Bob went on, "Just don't try to fly off", he chuckled, "Since...they don't...fly" he ended a bit flatly as his jest fell unsure.

(mediumblue)

Dénor

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Re: Who Needs History Programing
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 02:22:50 AM »
Ginger had to stop and think about what was going on. Her boss and Mr. Bob had gone off somewhere without her, and trying to find anything in this museum was nearly impossible! Ah, but she did love coming here. The smell of old things, combined with the old house just made sense. But, there was also something comforting about the way Mr. Balinger presented himself. Mr. Archimedes may not have had the same ideas about books, or about anything really, there was nothing in common between them. Her reasons for bringing him here was to try to convince him to invest some money so Bob’s business could take off - er - despite it being a non-profit. The notoriety would be what she was aiming for. If people knew that he was backed by someone as important as Mr. Archimedes, maybe they would take just as much interest. Come on out and see all the amazing things Bob Balinger had to show!

Oh, but damn! She had lost them! All she did was take the book off the shelf, flip through it, and boom! They were gone. She glanced about. A bell rang in the distance, and Ginger made her way to the front to see who had come in the door. An elder couple had just walked in. Ginger smiled at them, and greeted them warmly…

Meanwhile, on the other side of the museum Mr. Archimedes was starting to get a bit bored with exploring the museum. When Bob explained that the plane had been donated, and funds had exchanged hands, it was only then that Archimedes dropped the subject. “Go inside?” He asked, after a moment, “That would be mighty interesting. After you, Mr. Balinger.

He followed the curator out to his planes. There may be something of interest after all in this mess the his secretary, and the man who lived here, called a ‘museum’ after all…

ooc:: Don't really know where you want to take this, perhaps make something up... also, I've had an idea that I think would be interesting...

Tags: